Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Lccguy's TRX-4 Expedition, where will it go...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Lccguy's TRX-4 Expedition, where will it go...

I never thought I would return to the rccrawler forums after such a long time starting a Traxxas thread, but here it goes.

As everyone reading this already knows, traxxas makes great stuff, but doesn't have the name when it comes to scale rc stuff. I think they did a great job designing and engineering the TRX-4. My background in RCs is predominately an off-road racing background, but I have a Losi Comp Crawler and a Wraith (now traded). I also have a daily driver/trail truck (Toyota Tacoma) that's been moderately modified.

It turns out that the hobby shop I work at part-time
(PM Hobbycraft) thought I'd be a shoe in when it came to doing a demo video for the TRX-4 before it was released to the public. I grabbed Terry McGee of RC Trailblazers, a friend of mine and the out-door, off-road track I help run (RCGears). He videoed some recent racing events we held and I thought he would be great to do the action part of the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgdpL08RuwQ&t=2s

The store demo video was cool too. To see it for the first time was very intriguing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrA9eyL_G0

Some still shots from the trail run

So long store short... I liked it so much I traded my very modified Wraith for one last week.

A pic of my Wraith beside the demo TRX-4

Wraith build thread... of course you can no longer see the photos
lccguy's Wraith build

The TRX-4 that's going to become by base point
lccguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lccguy's TRX-4 Expedition, where will it go...

After being out of the hobby for probably close to 5 years all it took was a day of getting to drive my buddies TRX to be back into the addiction. Such a fun truck!
BCCrawlerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I know. I loved the fact that it was open diff and that I could lock it up when I needed to. When I go wheeling in my full sized truck I don't have my diffs locked up. It definitely added to the scale factor for me. I also feel in love with the portal axles, come on, not hitting your front axle and steering link all the time was amazing. Those 2 features right there made the rest of the TRX-4 worth modding.

Really though, straight out of the box, it was fun. Typically, people change out the wheels and tires, so those get improved anyway. Shock setup is something I'll look at, but that's cheap. An upgraded servo is pretty much the only thing you should spend money on right away... and that's only going to happen once I strip the gears in the OEM one. Like with any other trail truck, the sky is the limit on what you want to spend money on. I had a feeling that once the TRX-4 got popular, there were going to be a ton of hop-ups for it.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The trx4 is fun for sure. It's not perfect but does a great job. But if you think about it no rc rtr is perfect out of the box. I have not experienced any problems with my truck buy swapped out the stock servo for a savox. I keep the stock one for a back up.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I love the two speed and cruise control. Great for the long less demanding stretches of a trail. And in second it’s quiet to run to.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
I love the two speed and cruise control. Great for the long less demanding stretches of a trail. And in second it’s quiet to run to.
Oh yeah, that is worth mentioning. The 2 speed is perfect for obstacles and the inbetween long stretches. I must use the speed control sometime soon.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lccguy's TRX-4 Expedition, where will it go... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lccguy's Wraith build lccguy Axial Wraith 71 08-25-2013 04:39 PM
The Expedition Hummer thebacitr1(scx10) Axial SCX-10 0 02-14-2012 07:35 AM
My expedition rig adamargue Large Scale Rigs 1 08-17-2011 05:03 PM
expedition in france stef91 Scale Videos! 2 07-19-2011 12:40 PM
Expedition Hilux GooSe_1977 Axial SCX-10 45 10-14-2009 12:10 AM