Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Jato Got a Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #121

Default Re: Jato Got a Bronco

I had the Savox SA-1230SG servo and Traxxas metal servo horn waiting to be installed to replace my dead, stock servo. I was awaiting delivery of the Yeah Racing aluminum servo mount which arrived on Monday. I was tipped off by this Yeah Racing plate by LSXGMC. On his thread he mentioned that this plate has obround holes in one side to accommodate all servo sizes. If you use the stock servo plate with a Savox servo you have to modify the tabs on the servo. I didn't want to do this since the tabs are plastic. The Yeah Racing plate was the perfect solution. It is a very nice piece and does exactly what it was designed to do. But it was a PITA to install. The servo plate is in between the frame rails so you have to remove the front bumper mount, front plate and then loosen up the frame screws so you can spread it apart. I missed the screw that mounts that Panhard bar to the frame also goes through the skid plate.

Under all this stuff you will find the servo mounting plate.

Here's the bottom view. You can see the servo mounted to the stock, plastic mounting plate. That's where the Yeah Racing aluminum piece needs to go.

Here the servo and all of the stuff in the way of the plate has been removed. The frame screws have been loosened so I can spread the rails apart.

I didn't have much patience to start when I decided to tackle this and it only got worse as I went. The servo is in, but I didn't even remember to take photos.

Once the servo was in I had to remove the two screws holding the shocks and lower links onto the axle. You have to drop the axle in order to install the servo horn on the servo.

The servo is strong though. Now I have to figure out how to adjust end points so I don't kill the servo. Is it possible to adjust EPA on the stock transmitter?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #122
RCC Addict

Ok, this did not look like fun. I'm guessing you would not recommend this as a feasible trail fix?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #123
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Now I have to figure out how to adjust end points so I don't kill the servo. Is it possible to adjust EPA on the stock transmitter?
If you're keeping the stock radio system, pick up the bluetooth module. The app makes setting endpoints, etc. 10000x's easier than following the blinking lights.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/t...xxaslinkmodule
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #124
Rock Stacker

Yes, it's possible to adjust endpoints on the stock transmitter. The menu tree system of flashing lights and button presses is not too difficult once you figure it out. That said, when I set mine it did not seem to set the endpoints as it should. When turning the wheel to the desired position to set as the endpoint and pressing set the servo would suddenly jump way past that point. I had to reset to the stock endpoints then adjust using the dual rates adjustment. Kinda wonky way to do it but it's working. Not sure if others have this issue or maybe mines just a one off buggy unit.

Instructions for all the adjustments is on Pg 14
https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...ual-120130.pdf
Asuckaphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Ok, this did not look like fun. I'm guessing you would not recommend this as a feasible trail fix?
You could change a servo on the trail if you wanted to spend a half an hour or so doing it, but I definitely would not recommend installing the Yeah Racing aluminum servo plate on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
If you're keeping the stock radio system, pick up the bluetooth module. The app makes setting endpoints, etc. 10000x's easier than following the blinking lights.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/t...xxaslinkmodule
Thanks. I've looked at that module. It's either pick one of those up or buy a Spektrum DX5C or FlySky FS-GT5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuckaphish View Post
Yes, it's possible to adjust endpoints on the stock transmitter. The menu tree system of flashing lights and button presses is not too difficult once you figure it out. That said, when I set mine it did not seem to set the endpoints as it should. When turning the wheel to the desired position to set as the endpoint and pressing set the servo would suddenly jump way past that point. I had to reset to the stock endpoints then adjust using the dual rates adjustment. Kinda wonky way to do it but it's working. Not sure if others have this issue or maybe mines just a one off buggy unit.

Instructions for all the adjustments is on Pg 14
https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...ual-120130.pdf
Thank you.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #126
RCC Addict

The app is literally so easy a caveman could do it. Snapshot below of adjusting the steering:
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #127
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
The app is literally so easy a caveman could do it.
Heh. Caveman. Thats so 2004.
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #128

I ordered the Traxxas Link Wireless Module last night from a local seller on eBay that I often purchase from. They had it for $30.90 shipped whereas RPP had it for $37.99+shipping. And it's guaranteed to be here by Saturday.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #129
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I ordered the Traxxas Link Wireless Module last night from a local seller on eBay that I often purchase from. They had it for $30.90 shipped whereas RPP had it for $37.99+shipping. And it's guaranteed to be here by Saturday.

that same module is nearly 60$ here in Canada...
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #130
RCC Addict

Quote:

I've heard these are quite useful, you should post up about all the capabilities it allows for.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #131
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I've heard these are quite useful, you should post up about all the capabilities it allows for.
just go the app store on your phone and install. It will let you see everything, but remember the telemetry sensors are optional
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 AM   #132

One thing I did while installing the servo was getting rid of this thing. It was loose on my motor and I could easily slide it all around. After the fact I found out that it's apparently called a torque ring. I had no idea. As a kid I would stick metal on the outside of the motors on my RCs hoping that I'd see a performance gain. I never did and I thought I was wasting my time. But apparently I was doing a real thing. Theory is great, but whether or not it affects the performance of the motor, in reality, is to be determined. Another reason I removed it is so I could install a heatsink because I've heard these motors can get hot. Will it help? I'm not sure. Will it hurt? Definitely not. Will it stay or will the torque ring go back on? Again, TBD. The brass terds are the bushings leftover from my MST CMX upgrade not from the TRX-4.

Here's the servo installed. The Savox orange looks as gaudy as ever. Please, please get a new color Savox. How about making all of your servos part of your Black line? I bought this 1230SG servo during Savox's rare 15% off sale. It's claimed to have 499.9 oz at 6V so that should be plenty for me. After my initial test drive I'm very happy with it.

Here you can see the servo installed with the Traxxas metal servo horn. Good to go. The horn isn't the clamping style that we love to love, but it should hold up just fine.

Lastly, here is an overview of the chassis. You can see the black heatsink installed in place of the torque ring. You can also see the wiring from the servo. I had to use a 3" or 4" servo extension. It's getting to the point where I have to use servo extensions all too often on my scalers. I hate using them because they are often crappy quality wires unless you buy the expensive ones.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #133
RCC Addict

Neat, tidy and efficient...nice job!

I appreciate that Traxxas at least provides wiring retention features for all those extra needed extensions rather than sending one back to the tie strap bag repeatedly.

Last edited by 2mtech; 04-27-2018 at 12:10 PM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #134

After installing the Savox 1230 servo I wanted to set the end points, because as we know, incorrect EPA will kill a servo. The stock transmitter doesn't have this option. But one awesome thing about the stock transmitter is that you can buy the Traxxas Link Wireless Module to give the RTR radio more advanced features. Apparently you can do the same without the module, but you need to use beeps or lights and Castle ESCs have ruined me to the point where I never want to deal with that again.

Great packaging as always from Traxxas.

Here's the back of the stock cover on the transmitter next to the back of the Traxxas Link.

Here the Traxxas Link is installed in the stock RTR transmitters. Fits like a glove as expected.

This Traxxas Link connects to the Traxxas Link app on your phone via Bluetooth. It connects instantly. I've never seen Bluetooth connect so quickly.

The app is somewhat confusing because there are lots of different screens and I got confused while trying to set the end points. There is a screen that lets you set servo throw. I thought this was the only way to set end points at first. But in a different screen you can set right end points and left end points. It worked as expected.

Another cool feature that was news to me, probably because I didn't read the manual, is the Multifunction knob. I set mine, via the app, to control "Throttle Sensitivity". This is like expo seen on other transmitters. I can set it to 0% and have full throttle instantly or I can set it to 100% and it takes a lot of throttle to get the truck moving. This will really help out on the trails when trying to climb smoothly.

For around $30 shipped I'm very happy with this module at this point. It saved me from having to buy another receiver for one of my other radio systems or another transmitter system.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #135
Rock Crawler

I have to add that the Traxxas Link does not have any crawling specific settings. I was hoping that it would program the stock ESC for drag brake and no brake but I could not find any settings for this.
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #136
I wanna be Dave

I’ve used that for some time now , I have 2 traxxas trucks, and ran a third 2wd with it. The functions(once found) work just as Jato said. My only beef is the whole thing feels toyish after using my Futaba.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
I have to add that the Traxxas Link does not have any crawling specific settings. I was hoping that it would program the stock ESC for drag brake and no brake but I could not find any settings for this.
I didn't expect the Transmitter or Link Module to change any of the ESC settings.

Do yourself a favor and buy a HobbyWing WP1080 to replace the stock ESC if you want to adjust the drag brake. It's an unbeatable ESC at $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I’ve used that for some time now , I have 2 traxxas trucks, and ran a third 2wd with it. The functions(once found) work just as Jato said. My only beef is the whole thing feels toyish after using my Futaba.
I've learned to not take expensive radios out on the trail. I often have to set my transmitter down on rocks or dirt when changing batteries or doing trail repairs. Plus, there are those times where you have to walk across rocks that can be wet, covered with moss or algae, or otherwise slippery. I've nearly gone down and caught myself with the hand holding my transmitter. Thankfully it was my Turnigy TS4G and not my Airtronics or Futaba radios.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #138
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post

That would be reprogramming of the the ESC though. This is strictly radio system setting.

Jato, good to hear you're happy with this purchase. It's definitely much easier than the light tree.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #139
I wanna be Dave

i cant wait for the new castle link Bluetooth thingy to be available for android.

cool to hear about the traxxas link, not bad for $30! i hear ya on cheap radios. spend that money on truck goodies! also i like to wear my tx on a lanyard around my neck. some radios don't have a place to put one though.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
i cant wait for the new castle link Bluetooth thingy to be available for android.

cool to hear about the traxxas link, not bad for $30! i hear ya on cheap radios. spend that money on truck goodies! also i like to wear my tx on a lanyard around my neck. some radios don't have a place to put one though.
The Castle Bluetooth thing is $50. The price needs to come down on that especially since you'll need one in every truck! HobbyWing's is about the same price as well. Very cool item, but too expensive for what you get.

Good idea. I need to add a lanyard to mine.

Tags
bronco, ford, traxxas, trx-4, trx4

Jato Got a Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jato? mike Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 08-17-2005 07:46 PM