Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Another TRX4, this time a KIT !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another TRX4, this time a KIT !

Well the body is done, I kept the white glossy for now. Later on I can flatten it. The black on the roof, grill and hood turned out great. Once I got a few stickers on I liked this body even more than before, I can't wait till the spools come in so I can take it out and get some action shots in the woods.

Here are a few pics.

IMG_1624

IMG_1619

IMG_1623

IMG_1622
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Came out looking very nice indeed, super-clean Bronco!

Crisp edges!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:43 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Spoke with Traxxas on Friday to see if they had an eta on the spools, rep told me that they are on order with manufacturing but he had no info on when they will be available. He said that since these are an optional part they take a back-seat to the normal production parts/replacement parts.

Locked Up RC replied to an email I sent then and if all goes well he hopes to have spools in 3-4 week for sale on their site. I also sent off an email to see if Vanquish had any interest in making spools also, should get a reply soon.

Until then I went to my local ACE Hardware and picked up some thin nylon washers to fill the gap between the drive cup and bearing. It turned out to be a perfect fit with 3 washers on each diff.......It now moves

IMG_1636
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Installed some SSD portal covers on all 4 corners, I spent a little time crawling around in the yard and am VERY IMPRESSED.... This this is a beast ! She sidehills very well now. HYRAX, have them on my TRX4 Defender as well and cannot stop recommending them.
The low speed control of the 1080 is very impressive with the 21t and gear reduction of the portals, I can get it so slow you can almost hear each pinion tooth engaging the spur

Traxxas finally got the spools back in stock so I ordered up 2 and a pair of orange stripe .35 springs for the front end. I hope to get out soon with it and post up some action shots. Temps today will be 95-100*

Because we all like snaps

IMG_1640

IMG_1639
Old 06-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #25
RCC Addict

I love the HW 1080 I run it with a 27T HH brushed motor and get crazy battery life compared to the XL5. Also agree it does super crawl in first really well.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #26
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
I love the HW 1080 I run it with a 27T HH brushed motor and get crazy battery life compared to the XL5. Also agree it does super crawl in first really well.
I have the same combo in one of my Broncos, took it out today and she was wheeling it, the slow crawl control made her look like a pro on the throttle.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #27

I like those SSD portal covers - how do you like them compared to stock?
joeR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeR6 View Post
I like those SSD portal covers - how do you like them compared to stock?
It make a a night and day difference, there is this hill in a valley that I could never get up while my Ascenders and my brothers SCX10.2 can get up...after putting the SSD portal covers on my Defender, I owned that hill and that was with the spare on the back and a kayak and other assorted scale goodies in the luggage rack !

I have them on all 4 corners of both my TRX's and both also rock Proline Hyrax tires, That combo is AMAZING !
Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That HH 27t, 540 or 550 can ? I'm assuming a 550 since it is in your TRX.
How do you like it compared to the Titan 550 21t ?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Yes the 550 can. I bought two. It's still has good top speed but better low end than the Titan. I highly recommend it for a brushed setup.

I have nearly 100miles on the HH motor now and I can tell it's not as good as it was. Imagine the bushes have quite a bit of wear. But it will stay in for a good few more miles yet!

Once my second motor is spent I may go brushless. I imagine I'll have 300 miles plus on her by then though. Haha.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #31

Spools are on eBay.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
It make a a night and day difference, there is this hill in a valley that I could never get up while my Ascenders and my brothers SCX10.2 can get up...after putting the SSD portal covers on my Defender, I owned that hill and that was with the spare on the back and a kayak and other assorted scale goodies in the luggage rack !

I have them on all 4 corners of both my TRX's and both also rock Proline Hyrax tires, That combo is AMAZING !
Great to know! I am also contemplating those hyrax tires once my stock tires/foams are done (which could be a while)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #33

Couple questions on your wheels/tires:
Which wheels do you have on there?
Which foams?
Any fitment issues using the hyrax tires (assuming those are 1.9s?)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeR6 View Post
Couple questions on your wheels/tires:
Which wheels do you have on there?
Which foams?
Any fitment issues using the hyrax tires (assuming those are 1.9s?)
Wheels are SSD Assassins
Also have the SSD Brake Rotor Hubs
Foams are Proline Dual Stage

As far as fitment... I mounted all four up in less than 20 minutes !
I have never ever had a set of beadlocks and tires assemble that fast.

IMG_1509

IMG_1510
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes the 550 can. I bought two. It's still has good top speed but better low end than the Titan. I highly recommend it for a brushed setup.

I have nearly 100miles on the HH motor now and I can tell it's not as good as it was. Imagine the bushes have quite a bit of wear. But it will stay in for a good few more miles yet!

Once my second motor is spent I may go brushless. I imagine I'll have 300 miles plus on her by then though. Haha.
Thanks, I'll def have to try out one of those later on. I'm still thinking of putting in a brushless setup, If I do that I'll get the Mamba X and the HH Revolver 1400k Outrunner.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #36
RCC Addict

A pal I have in the US runs Outrunners. I’m not sure I could stand the noise they makes for 2-4hrs of trail running. Haha.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A pal I have in the US runs Outrunners. I’m not sure I could stand the noise they makes for 2-4hrs of trail running. Haha.
That noise I think would drive me nuts after a bit also, thats the only reason I have not pulled the trigger yet. I do like the torque and the insane low speed control and start up though.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

My local HobbyTown Has been buying rock and setting up a demo course for their crawlers, ALL their rigs on the shelf are demo rigs ! What a great idea.

I'm going to be calling around and getting some pricing on rock and maybe ordering up a half dumptruck worth to start with and do something similar in the back yard. I have a huge purple maple in the back yard that is difficult to get grass to grow under...so I think I'm going to be building a rock course back there

This is what they have done so far and they are just getting started !

IMG_1651

IMG_1655

IMG_1652
Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

RPP order just got delivered, some Bomber stuff and all I got for this rig this time is the Bowhouse RC Low CG Battery Tray and the Rear Chassis Brace XL.
The fit and finish is terrific, fits my Gens-Ace 3s 50c 5000mAh perfectly and with very little room to spare glad I got the XL Brace.

Thank You for an outstanding product new2rocks !

IMG_1683

IMG_1681
Old 07-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I have not decided which way to go yet, but I am putting a driver in the Bronco.
I picked up a couple Wild Willy drivers and also a Deckard Figure. More and more I'm thinking about just doing 1 seat and a Wild Willy and save the other one for one of my other rigs and keeping Deckard around for when I ever build a "scale garage". I'm not interested in doing a full on interior, so I'll just move the esc to the front battery tray and then build up a tray out of styrene that I can screw the seat and driver to.

IMG_1686

I like this paint scheme, but I might go for brighter colors ?

Another TRX4, this time a KIT ! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 II XJ body on a TRX4 conversion kit Locked Up Traxxas TRX-4 7 03-13-2018 01:58 PM
Axial SCX10 II XJ body on a TRX4 conversion kit Locked Up Locked Up RC 0 02-03-2018 10:41 AM
TRX4 lighting kit page now on Traxxas.com ScoJac Traxxas TRX-4 18 10-18-2017 07:29 AM