Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4
Loading

Notices

Thread: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: boise
Posts: 58
Default First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

https://youtu.be/Rw7hlWuwVRA
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Esko
Posts: 635
Default Re: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

Nice vid. Looks like a fun place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina
Posts: 1,637
Default Re: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

Nice! You could spend hours and hours there working lines.
mewalsh100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 284
Default First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

I enjoyed it. Interesting terrain, smooth driving, and smooth camera.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: boise
Posts: 58
Default Re: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
Nice vid. Looks like a fun place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Nice! You could spend hours and hours there working lines.
My 2nd time there. Still finding new spots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I enjoyed it. Interesting terrain, smooth driving, and smooth camera.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The OC
Posts: 1,560
Default Re: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

I'm not sure...why not embed it?
Music is lame. And too far away from your rig...
5 minutes?!~? I got thru 3. LOL You asked...

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: boise
Posts: 58
Default Re: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I'm not sure...why not embed it?
Music is lame. And too far away from your rig...
5 minutes?!~? I got thru 3. LOL You asked...

Hey 3 minutes watched is good for any YT video.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: US
Posts: 20
Default Re: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

Looks like a great place to crawl! Truck looks quite capable! You're off to a good start. Few tips below to help you improve.

Camera work:

1) Need to make sure you don't get too much sky in the shot, as it blacks out the truck and ground when the camera compensates. I had to turn up the brightness on my phone, and still struggled in some views.

2) You need to get a mix of shots. Up close, a bit further away, drive by, watching from atop an obstacle, etc. Most of your footage was from drivers view, which isn't as fun to watch as the up close stuff that makes it feel more realistic.

3) Slow motion shots can be fun.

Sound:

1) Music was OK. Could have been better, certainly could have been worse. It's all personal preference really.

2) I heard crackling in the sound, not sure if that was supposed to be there or not, I would recommend getting rid of that.

3) Good job getting a mix of music and truck noise. Maybe just a bit more truck noise next time.

RC:

1) The Sport is not the most scale body out there. Consider a better body or perhaps some of the accessories available from Traxxas. You could make a video about the process.

2) Lights, sound kits, and a winch in an RC really improve the scale appearance/sound. You could make a video about the process.

3) People like to see the setup of the truck, battery and location, servo, motor, any other modifications, etc.

Keep in mind that slowly evolving the truck as you make more videos and trying new locations keeps the videos feeling fresh.

The most important part is that you HAVE FUN and don't let the truck become a shelf queen!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
niggemannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: boise
Posts: 58
Default Re: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggemannb View Post
Looks like a great place to crawl! Truck looks quite capable! You're off to a good start. Few tips below to help you improve.

Camera work:

1) Need to make sure you don't get too much sky in the shot, as it blacks out the truck and ground when the camera compensates. I had to turn up the brightness on my phone, and still struggled in some views.

2) You need to get a mix of shots. Up close, a bit further away, drive by, watching from atop an obstacle, etc. Most of your footage was from drivers view, which isn't as fun to watch as the up close stuff that makes it feel more realistic.

3) Slow motion shots can be fun.

Sound:

1) Music was OK. Could have been better, certainly could have been worse. It's all personal preference really.

2) I heard crackling in the sound, not sure if that was supposed to be there or not, I would recommend getting rid of that.

3) Good job getting a mix of music and truck noise. Maybe just a bit more truck noise next time.

RC:

1) The Sport is not the most scale body out there. Consider a better body or perhaps some of the accessories available from Traxxas. You could make a video about the process.

2) Lights, sound kits, and a winch in an RC really improve the scale appearance/sound. You could make a video about the process.

3) People like to see the setup of the truck, battery and location, servo, motor, any other modifications, etc.

Keep in mind that slowly evolving the truck as you make more videos and trying new locations keeps the videos feeling fresh.

The most important part is that you HAVE FUN and don't let the truck become a shelf queen!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Love the feedback! Will definitely think about different types of shots.

Started planning out a scale body this weekend. Just gotta convince the wife changing the looks is worth $200 lol.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 284
Default Re: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furadi View Post
Hey 3 minutes watched is good for any YT video.
My first run video for example, was a 2:00 minute video, and the average view duration is 0:55. Clearly I have a lot to learn about making engaging videos. I was pretty excited about it when I first uploaded it, but it had a lot of shortcomings I now realize. The more RC videos I watch, the more I see what I like, and what I don't.

It's nice to see the tips in this thread. niggemannb made a lot of good suggestions. In my second and third video, I did incorporate some of the suggested changes. Like anything else, it will take some practice to improve further.

Unfortunately, some of the improvements are not free. My truck would need an interior and other upgrades to look "scale" at all. At this point I'm not sure if I will be investing in that or not. So, maybe my videos will never be an A+, but I think I'm ok with that. I'll make them once in a while, as long as I have fun doing it. I'm not going to invest the time and effort into trying to make money off of RC videos on YouTube, so it's all just for fun.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: boise
Posts: 58
Default Re: First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
My first run video for example, was a 2:00 minute video, and the average view duration is 0:55. Clearly I have a lot to learn about making engaging videos. I was pretty excited about it when I first uploaded it, but it had a lot of shortcomings I now realize. The more RC videos I watch, the more I see what I like, and what I don't.

It's nice to see the tips in this thread. niggemannb made a lot of good suggestions. In my second and third video, I did incorporate some of the suggested changes. Like anything else, it will take some practice to improve further.

Unfortunately, some of the improvements are not free. My truck would need an interior and other upgrades to look "scale" at all. At this point I'm not sure if I will be investing in that or not. So, maybe my videos will never be an A+, but I think I'm ok with that. I'll make them once in a while, as long as I have fun doing it. I'm not going to invest the time and effort into trying to make money off of RC videos on YouTube, so it's all just for fun.
Yeah I probably won't do an interior or too many scale accessories. It'll have to be a balance between scale and performance.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



First trail run vid! Let me know what you guys think. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fun day and group trail run vid. Yeti.stealth Videos! 1 07-10-2017 11:11 PM
Trail vid - River trail - beaver sighting Lyle Scale Videos! 0 07-04-2012 05:16 PM
vid from mini moab trail run feb 12 2012 theblackmonky Arizona 10 02-15-2012 09:13 PM
Cool vid for you plane guys rcr3fan29 Chit Chat 5 03-24-2007 01:09 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com