Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Whats done to my TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Default Whats done to my TRX4

With far to little knowledge I picked up a Traxxas TRX4 after reading some about this truck on this site. I see that many do weight and other mods on it. The one I bought also seems to be worked on. It had a sport shell on it but it did have two gears and diff lockers. The servo for the gearbox was mounted on the wrong side but I've fixed that after the picture was taken.

I was just wondering what else could be done with this truck? It almost looks like I got a flat tire (I know it isn't air filled) on the fronts. There seems to be a weight of some sort mounted on the front that I can't see on the rears. Could the tires be bad or is it just weights?

When doing turns there seems to be some kind of binding in the diffs (noise). Is this normal when not having the diff lockers on? There is a clear difference with/without lockers on so I think they disengage like they should.

Are there any other upgrades I can easy check if this truck has so I don't go on buying upgrades that I already got for it? :P

Should I do any maintenance before I start using it since it's unknown what's been done before?

The only info I got from previous owner is that it's been weighted front and back. He also removed "something" on the middle to make it better crawling and modified approach angle of fenders. I didn't get it directly from the one doing the mods so the seller couldn't answer anything rly ^^ Wonder what that "something" is...

minim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Whats done to my TRX4

First clean it up. A brush and air gun from compressor. Get yourself some tools. I like the Traxxas tool pack...not very expensive. Marine grease or Traxxas grease. Get a clean work area and light. Get on youtube o Traxxas site for videos or step by step pics. Start with one unit at a time. There should not be any grinding. Cleaning...inspecting..and re greasing front and rear . The tires look good. The tires have a spongy foam donut. You can get a harder foam if the tires are really flat. Just a little is good. Search Trx-4 upgrade on this site ,what did you do to your trx-4 today and YouTube for ideas. Almost every component can be upgraded. A 3S lipo. A lower batter tray. A 9T spur gear for the motor. A Holmes Hobnies Motor. A 1080 ESC . Stronger steering servo and horn. A bec. There are,any bodies out there in 313 to give it a new look. Get a Traxxas battery charger . When buying another battery make sure it is for Traxxas to get the right plug in. Look for other crawlers in your area for info and learning and fun. I enjoy tinkering with the rig as much as running it. I blow off the truck with an air gun after each use. Most of all have fun.

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 08-03-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I don't own an air gun so I use a humble toothbrush after each run! gets inside the springs and links real nice and is a very cheap way to take care of your rig.
mr_alister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Based on the rust on a few of the bolts, the previous owner had it in water. The "flat" tire could be due to the deterioration of the foam inside the left front tire from getting water inside of it. Once it deteriorated, they will have that deflated look.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Good eye.

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 08-04-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The body has been cut as well.

Stock there is no rear approach angle, the black trim at the bottom of the door is thicker and the fenders have a little lip.

Not a bad thing by no means. The body can sit a touch lower and a little less tire rubbing when it’s jammed up into the well.

Looks like rear bumper mount has been flipped so it sits higher. Transition looks good as you can see the body blends into the bumper.

The rust is a little sad to be honest. As already mentioned ran in water but also looks to be put up wet. Which is more sad because care and maintenance apparently are lacking.

If this was my purchase, I would download the traxxas trx4 assembly manual and start taking things apart to give it some much needed love.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...-4.html#manual

Personally I would do one item at a time. Tear down, clean/grease and reassemble. That way you’re not left with a pile of parts going “uh -oh.”

It’s also a good learning exercise so you get to know your vehicle on an intimate level.

Good luck and have fun!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote

Whats done to my TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM
RADIOS: Whats needed and whats a good price tag losikid Electronics 3 02-08-2011 10:20 PM
whats hot, whats not. post good and bad setups and products TomEGunn General Crawlers 9 05-28-2009 07:29 PM