Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Clipless Body options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2022, 04:15 PM   #1

Default Clipless Body options

I have a 2021 Bronco TRX4 currently. It was my first RC car. I use it more then expected and as that happens its been taking a beating as I try to make it preform better. Last tumble broke an axle and did some serious body damage. I am considering my options as I do see a Capra or similar in my future. I don't want to abandon the TRX4.

So I have a few options I though of. Looking for opinions or comments.

1. Buy a new Bronco body (unpainted with the clip-less system is $144)
  2. Find a 12.8 body I think that I could swap my mount system in to. (Found a Raptor body from proline looks like it would work but looks tall.)
  3. Abandon the clip body mount and shorten the wheel base so I can pick any 12.3 body and run it. I like this option but its like taking all the special stuff on the car then changing a lot.
  4. ??????

Thanks
GTABurnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2022, 09:39 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Clipless Body options

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABurnout View Post
I have a 2021 Bronco TRX4 currently. It was my first RC car. I use it more then expected and as that happens its been taking a beating as I try to make it preform better. Last tumble broke an axle and did some serious body damage. I am considering my options as I do see a Capra or similar in my future. I don't want to abandon the TRX4.

So I have a few options I though of. Looking for opinions or comments.

1. Buy a new Bronco body (unpainted with the clip-less system is $144)
  2. Find a 12.8 body I think that I could swap my mount system in to. (Found a Raptor body from proline looks like it would work but looks tall.)
  3. Abandon the clip body mount and shorten the wheel base so I can pick any 12.3 body and run it. I like this option but its like taking all the special stuff on the car then changing a lot.
  4. ??????

Thanks
Go for it. I started with the d90 body and fit an rc4wd 2001 Tacoma body on it. Find the body you like and make it fit. The second one is a capra worth a cliffhanger body on it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Afterbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:02 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've tried clips, magnets and some custom made design for mounting lexan and hard bodies. The Bronco clipless system, is by far the best I've tried so far. Holds the body great and is super easy to take it out.

My suggestion is whatever body you choose to go for, find a way to implement it into the build. You won't regret it.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If you're looking at the Raptor body with the camper shell I can tell you the inner structure for the Bronco clipless body lays right in there. I have the parts to do this to my son's raptor based TRX. I haven't figured out the attachment solution for the inner frame but it does lay in that body nicely. Probably screws through the side is going to be the only way.

And as far as being tall he has comped the rig with an Element roof top tent and roof rack. It does well.
drtrydr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
I've tried clips, magnets and some custom made design for mounting lexan and hard bodies. The Bronco clipless system, is by far the best I've tried so far. Holds the body great and is super easy to take it out.

My suggestion is whatever body you choose to go for, find a way to implement it into the build. You won't regret it.
I will do my best to keep the bronco clips in what ever I end up doing. Sort of want to shorten it so I can have a better pick of bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrydr2000 View Post
If you're looking at the Raptor body with the camper shell I can tell you the inner structure for the Bronco clipless body lays right in there. I have the parts to do this to my son's raptor based TRX. I haven't figured out the attachment solution for the inner frame but it does lay in that body nicely. Probably screws through the side is going to be the only way.

And as far as being tall he has comped the rig with an Element roof top tent and roof rack. It does well.
I was talking about the raptor with the shell. Did you have any pics of how you are doing it?
Big issue now is I have never painted a body so thats going to be a learning curve.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterbang View Post
Go for it. I started with the d90 body and fit an rc4wd 2001 Tacoma body on it. Find the body you like and make it fit. The second one is a capra worth a cliffhanger body on it.

So the Tacoma body fits even though the wheel base is off a tad?

And if I get a capra I think a body will go on it that looks killer.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I will do my best to keep the bronco clips in what ever I end up doing. Sort of want to shorten it so I can have a better pick of bodies.

You don't actually need the whole cage to make it work. You can cut the parts that the clips are mounted. There is a hole at that exact spot that you can use to somehow mount them on the fender flares or on through the lexan.

These are the parts you need

Here they are mounted on a Killerbody Defender body

Check the build thread if you want to see how it got there

Excelsior! Defender Project
Old 04-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

If you're cutting up a body to make it fit anything is possible.
I've stretched a really short wheelbase beetle intended for a 9 1/2" wheelbase to 10" by cutting the front fender back and reshaping the rear fender. Doing this removes the visual center of your wheelwell and now you can push the axles farther forward up front and backwards in the rear without looking out of place.

I've also taken a tiny SUV chopped it up into a single cab and put a bed on it, was a 10.5" wheelbase now 12.3".

The only limit is your bravery to hack stuff up and imagination.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-11-2022 at 08:14 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:38 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
If you're cutting up a body to make it fit anything is possible.
I've stretched a really short wheelbase beetle intended for a 9 1/2" wheelbase to 10" by cutting the front fender back and reshaping the rear fender. Doing this removes the visual center of your wheelwell and now you can push the axles farther forward up front and backwards in the rear without looking out of place.

I've also taken a tiny SUV chopped it up into a single cab and put a bed on it, was a 10.5" wheelbase now 12.3".

The only limit is your bravery to hack stuff up and imagination.

Yup possibilities are endless. I’ve taken a TRX4 Bronco body and cut it into a 79 Regular Cab F250 and I’ve cut a CEN F450 down to a 14” wheelbase from 17.5” wheelbase. Pretty cool what can be done on a lexan.

Can even bolt a 3lb steel and wood bed onto one if you do it right lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:17 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

The Tacoma fits, but it fits because I made it fit. Like everybody else said. It'll fit, you just gotta get creative. My front body mount is the lowest body mount that cane in the extra parts bag. The rear body posts are for a battery hold down for some other traxxas truck. I used brake line to space the sliders.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:19 PM   #11

Awesome examples. I am new to the hobby, so I guess my thinking needs to be open to just "giving it a go". I think I will find a body I like and pick it up then sort out the fitting it part.

I appreciate all the helpful replies.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Awesome examples. I am new to the hobby, so I guess my thinking needs to be open to just "giving it a go". I think I will find a body I like and pick it up then sort out the fitting it part.

I appreciate all the helpful replies.
Find the body you want. The next part is one of my favorite parts IMO. That's the creativity and uniqueness to all the builds. There are lots of way to accomplish the same goals, but how you did it makes it unique.
Find the body you want to run, the specific questions are much easier to answer... usually.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterbang View Post
Find the body you want. The next part is one of my favorite parts IMO. That's the creativity and uniqueness to all the builds. There are lots of way to accomplish the same goals, but how you did it makes it unique.
Find the body you want to run, the specific questions are much easier to answer... usually.

True, I now just need to spiral down the body rabbit hole. If any one has ones they particularly like or are easier to work with for an amateur I am open to opinions.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:41 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

@Afterbang
Great idea for mounting the body lower.
Question about your sliders. Did you make them? And is there much flex when sliding over and around obstacles?
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
@Afterbang
Question about your sliders. Did you make them? And is there much flex when sliding over and around obstacles?
I spaced my sliders up using delrin washers I got from a hardware store. They dont flex at all from what I have seen.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:10 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
@Afterbang
They were made by the owner of the LHS. I've not noticed any flexing from it. They seem pretty sturdy.

Old 04-13-2022, 05:37 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

You could use something like this instead of spacers

They come in plastic too, and different sizes

Clipless Body options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Short wheelbase kit options? CC01 body options. RCruler Newbie General 14 09-27-2018 01:38 PM
Clipless body Traulus Axial SCX10 II 9 06-17-2016 07:42 AM
gelande 2 d90 body on tf2 - other body options with minimum mods? littlebuddha RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 04-24-2014 07:04 AM
Clipless body mounts jeepster73 Axial SCX-10 15 09-20-2011 10:42 AM
Clipless XR-10 body mount MOD MRCCRAWLER1.9 Axial XR10 28 02-06-2011 03:36 PM