Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-6 Ultimate RC Hauler: Good Idea...or "Ultimate" Failure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default TRX-6 Ultimate RC Hauler: Good Idea...or "Ultimate" Failure?

Not sure how many others have received the email from Traxxas about their latest vehicle, the TRX-4 Ultimate RC Hauler...but, it's coming soon. At first, I liked the idea of an RTR version of something that Tamiya offers as a kit...that being an RC hauler. Unfortunately, at least in my eyes, this is a huge "failure" on the part of Traxxas. Why? First, because it doesn't have a working 'tilt' bed. The whole point of a flatbed tow truck is for the bed to tilt, so as to get the vehicle on/off it. With the TRX-4 Ultimate RC Hauler, the bed is 'static'...thus my reasoning for considering it a favorite. Adding insult to injury, they give you the ability to install a working winch. Why????? I mean, if the bed doesn't actually tilt, and the wheel chocks installed in the bed are permanent (yes, they are adjustable...but, from what I can tell, they cannot be removed), what is the point of having a working winch? Thus, it's a "failure" on multiple points.

So...what are other people's thoughts? Will this be a success? Or, will this turn out to be something akin to their original, as well as current, "drag start lights"?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TRX-6 Ultimate RC Hauler: Good Idea...or "Ultimate" Failure?

Ugh, huge bummer. But it makes me wonder if they built it "ready" for additional parts needed? Again, kind of useless as it stands but...
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I think they’ve named it right, I guess it was destined more for moving vehicles about rather than ‘recovering’ them.

Be nice if it was designed to have an optional retractable bed mechanism for those that wanted it to function whilst keeping the lower price point for those not that interested in that aspect.

Nice rig though!

Intrigued to see how it performs with weight (a spare rig) up high…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoupeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It's also significantly longer than the standard TRX6. The G-63 has a 454mm WB, the new hauler is stretched all the way to 603mm.

That's a lot of extra length to drag around and a fair bit of additional, very high weigh if you're carrying a second car on it.

Personally, I'm not to interested in as an RTR but I could think of a few things to build off the new chassis.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
It's also significantly longer than the standard TRX6. The G-63 has a 454mm WB, the new hauler is stretched all the way to 603mm.

That's a lot of extra length to drag around and a fair bit of additional, very high weigh if you're carrying a second car on it.

Personally, I'm not to interested in as an RTR but I could think of a few things to build off the new chassis.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
Now, THAT'S a 'good' idea.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 06-15-2022, 01:53 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

This mainly replaces the Snap-On Hauler that people have sold for thousands of dollars!

It would be nice with a working tilt bed, even if it was ready for it and required additional parts. I'm sure we'll see some fellow RC'ers make the bed work on this bad boy!
UZI4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Thus, it's a "failure" on multiple points.
It's already close to $700. What would you be willing to pay for a full featured sliding and tilting bed requiring an all new Traxxas radio gear to run those three extra channels?

I think it's pretty awesome just the way it is.

.....And is it wrong to say that part of me likes what this is going to do to those gouging the Snap on version on eBay?
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
This mainly replaces the Snap-On Hauler that people have sold for thousands of dollars!

It would be nice with a working tilt bed, even if it was ready for it and required additional parts. I'm sure we'll see some fellow RC'ers make the bed work on this bad boy!
Yeah I'm with that. Def still a cool release, and I'll wait a year or 2 and stay behind the curve to see what the innovators out there come up with for the bed.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

It's definitely cool, and I don't think people are really grasping the size-- it's 37" long. For comparison, a TRX-6 is about 2 feet long. With the "middle" WB coming in at 18", I don't think they're aiming at a crawler market.

There's no way under the sun Traxxas could put this out with a rollback for what they're selling it for-- it's literally the same price as a TRX-6, but 50% longer, all new body bits, and a full LED kit included.

So a failure? Not likely. The TRX-6 is a niche vehicle even inside a niche market, and the Hauler will be no different. Had I the resources to bring one home, I'd likely go the same route Harley mentioned and
turn it into a full-time trail-side support vehicle.

Oh, and I expect there to be a rollback conversion kit (by someone in the aftermarket) sooner rather than later.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:17 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Badass. I was wondering if we were going to get a non-Snap On version eventually. Kinda wish I had waited on my X6, but oh well. I don't think the price is bad at all for what it is. The Tamiya tipper is $800 give or take, plus another $300 or so for the tipping mechanism.

That cab is eventually going to find a home on one of my TRX's... so many possibilities!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:07 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
It's definitely cool, and I don't think people are really grasping the size-- it's 37" long. For comparison, a TRX-6 is about 2 feet long. With the "middle" WB coming in at 18", I don't think they're aiming at a crawler market.

There's no way under the sun Traxxas could put this out with a rollback for what they're selling it for-- it's literally the same price as a TRX-6, but 50% longer, all new body bits, and a full LED kit included.

So a failure? Not likely. The TRX-6 is a niche vehicle even inside a niche market, and the Hauler will be no different. Had I the resources to bring one home, I'd likely go the same route Harley mentioned and
turn it into a full-time trail-side support vehicle.

Oh, and I expect there to be a rollback conversion kit (by someone in the aftermarket) sooner rather than later.

Nailed it.

I watched Harley’s video and didn’t understand the size until he set a trx6 on the bed… and it fit.

twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:39 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I'm just waiting on SBG to styrene a recovery bed on it. I don't have that knowledge yet but this vehicle makes me want to learn it.
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

This is anything but a failure!

I never bought a TRX6 due to not liking the body and having it sit on the shelf collecting dust. But now with this new version I would 100% buy this over the Mercedes all day. Better looking, more useful and bigger which I think is cool.

I honestly think if this had a working recovery bed, it wouldn’t sell as much as this version will due to the price having to be so much higher, I would guess $200 more atleast. And to me that’s just a party feature that won’t get used if I had one with a working bed.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I'm just going to briefly 'interject'. From the beginning, I never said it was, or will be, a "failure". I truly wanted to get people's opinions...which way, and still is, the 'purpose' of the thread...and, that is succeeding. While I (and others) believe the decision to have a non-functioning bed is a failure, I'm sure the vehicle, to itself, will be more on the "successful" side.

That being said, like others, I had no interest in the original TRX-6...but, I CAN see myself purchasing this (working bed, or not), as a very "interesting" idea popped into my head late this morning. Hopefully, the 'debate' on this will continue - especially if it 'sparks' ideas in people's heads.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
From the beginning, I never said it was, or will be, a "failure".

Quote:
Unfortunately, at least in my eyes, this is a huge "failure" on the part of Traxxas.
Quote:
Thus, it's a "failure" on multiple points.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:24 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post

My "personal" opinion, and my "business" opinion, are 'allowed' to be in conflict.

I, personally, think Traxxas failed in their decision to not include the working bed...but, show me where it ever said the TRX-6 Hauler will "be" a (business) failure. I didn't.

I had a similar 'debate' with my a friend who worked at Apple when the first iPhone was released. He, like Apple as a company, truly believed that the iPhone & iOS would "dominate the mobile industry. I believed that, while the iPhone, and iOS, would be successful, Apple's belief that it would 'dominate' would be a failure...and, I was right. While iPhones & iPads are extremely successful in a business sense, Apple failed to dominate the mobile industry. Agreed?

Last edited by Panther6834; 06-15-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:34 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Now that I've "stopped the pot" enough, I'll gladly tell (in general) what my 'idea' to do with the TRX-6 Hauler is. It involves removing the bed, and installing a servo-controlled 5th-wheel. Technically, it'll still be a "hauler"...it'll just just be 'repurposed' to haul a different type of vehicle...or, should I say, vessel.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
My "personal" opinion, and my "business" opinion, are 'allowed' to be in conflict.

I, personally, think Traxxas failed in their decision to not include the working bed...but, show me where it ever said the TRX-6 Hauler will "be" a (business) failure. I didn't.

I had a similar 'debate' with my a friend who worked at Apple when the first iPhone was released. He, to like Apple as a company, truly believed that the iPhone & iOS would "dominate the mobile industry. I believed that, while the iPhone, and iOS, would be successful, Apple's belief that it would 'dominate' would be a failure...and, I was right. While iPhones & iPads are extremely successful in a business sense, Apple failed to dominate the mobile industry. Agreed?

I knew what you meant, just giving you hard time.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:41 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I had a similar 'debate' with my a friend who worked at Apple when the first iPhone was released. He, to like Apple as a company, truly believed that the iPhone & iOS would "dominate the mobile industry. I believed that, while the iPhone, and iOS, would be successful, Apple's belief that it would 'dominate' would be a failure...and, I was right. While iPhones & iPads are extremely successful in a business sense, Apple failed to dominate the mobile industry. Agreed?

Those weed gummies might be taking effect already... but I have no idea wtf you just said...
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:46 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Those weed gummies might be taking effect already... but I have no idea wtf you just said...
If I read it right, what he means is as it appears in stock form, is a fail but the platform as a whole will thrive.
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-6 Ultimate RC Hauler: Good Idea...or "Ultimate" Failure? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Ian "Low Crawl" Young build the ultimate AX-10 SSS-R! billet works Vendors Market 46 09-23-2010 12:56 PM