Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: SVT's Vanquish VS4-10 Extravaganza!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SVT's Vanquish VS4-10 Extravaganza!

I love this so much. Have you considered building/doing build threads for other people for money? I have several unassembled trucks I believe could benefit from your builds and I would like them way more if they had a build thread like this accompanying them
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I love this so much. Have you considered building/doing build threads for other people for money? I have several unassembled trucks I believe could benefit from your builds and I would like them way more if they had a build thread like this accompanying them
Build thread ghost writing services coming soon.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

Among the build steps I glossed over, a Vanquish 20mm servo horn was installed because:

1) It has a strong clamping design that doesn't add unnecessary bulk around the spline of the servo and has adequate thickness so the steering linkage can be secured without the need for additional locknuts while maintaining unhindered steering throw and proper geometry.
2) I'm a pretentious douche fanboi
Did you check the full steering range yet? I found that with the Vanquish 20mm servo horn installed, the servo horn hit the panhard mount before I got full left lock on the knuckles. Had to switch it out for the 24mm version.
rohrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrej View Post
Did you check the full steering range yet? I found that with the Vanquish 20mm servo horn installed, the servo horn hit the panhard mount before I got full left lock on the knuckles. Had to switch it out for the 24mm version.
Manually turning the steering, knuckles seem to hit the limit of their travel before the servo horn gets into the panhard mount.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Manually turning the steering, knuckles seem to hit the limit of their travel before the servo horn gets into the panhard mount.
Interesting, maybe due to differences between the servos.
rohrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #26
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
I am also using the Vanquish 20mm servo horn and it hits the limits before it hits the panhard mount. For now I am using the Savox SB-2270SG. I plan on switching to the 3 Brothers servo in the near future. Will be interesting to see if I have a problem with that servo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #27
RCC Addict

I like how this is looking so far. Is it a non-RC3WD situation where parts and hardware bosses align and mate properly, or have you had to make any adjustments?

I know you're disappointed that no one has called you a pretentious douche fanboi yet...sorry, can't help you there.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I like how this is looking so far. Is it a non-RC3WD situation where parts and hardware bosses align and mate properly, or have you had to make any adjustments?
The closest thing to an issue in this build so far was the bearing retainers for the front axle that required a firm thumb press to fully seat. Everything else has gone together super easy, no cutting, grinding, tapping, or reshaping required.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #29
Im Brandon

Will it be Pink? I havent seen a pink one yet.

Thanks for taking the great pics and posting!
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Will it be Pink? I havent seen a pink one yet.

Thanks for taking the great pics and posting!
Thanks, I figured the world couldn't have too many well documented VS4-10 builds.

We'll call pink Plan D, Plan A has already failed and Plan B is iffy at best so I'm inching ever closer to a pink truck.

With that, allow me to document some more building.

Today will be a small, although important, update and the first real deviation from the kit.

Wheels!

You knew it was wheels right?

The VS4-10 includes a set of the Incision plastic wheels.

Yeah, I know. Blah, blah, cost of kit, blah, blah, plastic wheels, blah, blah, and some other stuff I wasn't listening to; I'll assume that rant ends up with something about the moon landing being fake.

The Incision wheels are perfectly fine wheels; they look awesome on my Honcho.

Unfortunately, perfectly fine doesn't cut it for me on a kit of this caliber. I have been holding on to a special set of wheels and this seems like the right time to break them out. Also, save your attempts at humor with your "so what color Methods are they?" comments, I wouldn't want you to strain yourselves with that heavy mental lifting.

Enter these Super Shafty 1.9 UpperHafty wheels.

Why are they special? Well, they are super light, have a deep center channel to keep your foams in place, come in some different color combinations, and they haven't been available in over a year. I believe this was one of the last few sets they sold from the last batch that was made. Nothing makes a fancy ass truck say "I'm better than you" like a rare set of wheels.

For anyone that is social media inept/evasive/incompetent, this is important information. Others that spend their life on (insert social platform of choice), can go back to that for a few minutes because you probably already heard.

Some people are having trouble getting their Vanquish tires mounted because the bead ends up getting pushed out of the wheel channel. I figured most people were just the "Proline tires are impossible to mount" set of morons that didn't know how to mount a set of beadlocks. I proceed to go at the wheels and tires only to have the bead on the backside pop out a few times.

Part of this is caused by the foams.

You can see how this could be a problem when mounting the tires.

I took a tip from Dan Wilson at Vanquish about trimming the foam around the bead. I don't really know if he was the person that came up with it but I bestow the Vanquish office bragging rights to it upon him.

Much better, now the bead has some room when the rings get tightened down.

A couple resettings of the rear bead were still required but nothing too difficult and we get here.

Locked Up scale hardware is a must: this is an iron-clad, indisputable fact.

All 4 wheels were mounted up and a set of 350 SLW hubs were bolted on with more Locked Up hardware. Hey, what are those behind the wheels?

Oh, you mean those super awesome looking brake discs?

They are a set of Beef Patties given several baths in Birchwood Casey brass black and rubbed down to give them a dull gray coating similar to EBC brake rotors.

I'm not a huge stickler for scale accuracy but one thing I can't take is the huge expanse of brass shining through the spokes of the wheels pretending to be a brake rotor. Now my Beef Patties are comp legal but I still can't run because my beadlock screws are brass colored, at least that's how I gather the the whole thing works based on the SORRCA facebook group (when your done here, hop on over there, read the comments, and try not to spit out your morning coffee at the sheer ridiculousness).

We close today's update with a live look into my garage where the paint on my inner fenders is drying.

Scintillating.

You keep an eye on that, I'll be back later.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Those wheels look tasty! You chose a good time to pop the bubbly on them.

I'm really pulling for paint plan C...I did a pink Ram for the girl that she won't let go of, so now I have to look at it every trail run.

Don't do it! ;)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 2mtech; 07-25-2018 at 07:35 AM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Pink beadlocks...... I hope it’s just the white balance!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #33
Go Buckeyes!

I like the wheel and tire combo. They look awesome!

I had to trim my foams too. I also had read on FB that someone suggested to put the tires in the freezer for about 15 minutes, so I tried that too. That helped out a lot. It made the bead a little stiffer so the bead wouldn't pop out.

Can't wait to see the paint scheme you come up with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Those wheels look tasty! You chose a good time to pop the bubbly on them.

I'm really pulling for paint plan C...I did a pink Ram for the girl that she won't let go of, so now I have to look at it every trail run.

Don't do it! ;)
I should have the results of Plan B by the end of the week, I'll place odds at 50/50 at best. Plan C will require ordering more supplies so I'm rooting for Plan B out of sheer impatience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Pink beadlocks...... I hope it’s just the white balance!
Bronze-esque with a slight undertone of purple, a very different color. It definitely washes out in a lot of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I like the wheel and tire combo. They look awesome!

I had to trim my foams too. I also had read on FB that someone suggested to put the tires in the freezer for about 15 minutes, so I tried that too. That helped out a lot. It made the bead a little stiffer so the bead wouldn't pop out.

Can't wait to see the paint scheme you come up with.
I had used the freezer trick in the past but ultimately was too lazy to venture downstairs again so I stuck it out with room temp tires.

The paint scheme won't be anything crazy, just a (hopefully) unique color.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #35

Quote:
The VS4-10 includes a set of the Incision plastic wheels.

Yeah, I know. Blah, blah, cost of kit, blah, blah, plastic wheels, blah, blah, and some other stuff I wasn't listening to; I'll assume that rant ends up with something about the moon landing being fake.

The Incision wheels are perfectly fine wheels; they look awesome on my Honcho.

Unfortunately, perfectly fine doesn't cut it for me on a kit of this caliber. I have been holding on to a special set of wheels and this seems like the right time to break them out. Also, save your attempts at humor with your "so what color Methods are they?" comments, I wouldn't want you to strain yourselves with that heavy mental lifting.

Enter these Super Shafty 1.9 UpperHafty wheels.

Why are they special? Well, they are super light, have a deep center channel to keep your foams in place, come in some different color combinations, and they haven't been available in over a year. I believe this was one of the last few sets they sold from the last batch that was made. Nothing makes a fancy ass truck say "I'm better than you" like a rare set of wheels.

They are a set of Beef Patties given several baths in Birchwood Casey brass black and rubbed down to give them a dull gray coating similar to EBC brake rotors.

I'm not a huge stickler for scale accuracy but one thing I can't take is the huge expanse of brass shining through the spokes of the wheels pretending to be a brake rotor. Now my Beef Patties are comp legal but I still can't run because my beadlock screws are brass colored, at least that's how I gather the the whole thing works based on the SORRCA facebook group (when your done here, hop on over there, read the comments, and try not to spit out your morning coffee at the sheer ridiculousness).
Sooo...what you're saying is that plastic wheels aren't fine for a truck like this.

The SS wheels are pretty, but they don't seem to stock them anymore.

Thanks for posting the photo of the blackened, brass brake drum! I've thought about doing this and now I know that I have to.

And yes, the SORRCA brass debacle is one of the ages.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sooo...what you're saying is that plastic wheels aren't fine for a truck like this.

The SS wheels are pretty, but they don't seem to stock them anymore.

Thanks for posting the photo of the blackened, brass brake drum! I've thought about doing this and now I know that I have to.

And yes, the SORRCA brass debacle is one of the ages.
It's like when your wife/girlfriend/significant other says something is "fine", they really mean "that is the stupidest f'ing pile of horse $h!t I have ever heard and if actually thinks that is a good idea, I will smother him with a pillow while he sleeps". Fine is perfectly acceptable if you are not crazy.

If you have made it this far into the thread, you can probably tell on which side of the line I fall.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Whew !! Bolts color threw me off!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #38

Quote:
It's like when your wife/girlfriend/significant other says something is "fine", they really mean "that is the stupidest f'ing pile of horse $h!t I have ever heard and if actually thinks that is a good idea, I will smother him with a pillow while he sleeps". Fine is perfectly acceptable if you are not crazy.

If you have made it this far into the thread, you can probably tell on which side of the line I fall.

You're hilarious and that's why your threads are some of the best!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Great thread....but I have to say....why in the hell would you NOT use CI Lil' Nova 2-stage foams? Surely the stock foams are going to suck!
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Great thread....but I have to say....why in the hell would you NOT use CI Lil' Nova 2-stage foams? Surely the stock foams are going to suck!
I'm sure they're "fine".

SVT's Vanquish VS4-10 Extravaganza! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish VS4-10 Origin Limited Build/Thoughts Issues rohrej Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 131 03-26-2021 08:09 AM
IN STOCK NOW!! Vanquish Products VS4-10. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-12-2018 06:02 PM
Vanquish VS4-10 scale crawler Teng Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 5 05-28-2018 06:15 AM
🌑PRE ORDER Vanquish Products VS4-10! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 05-27-2018 03:39 PM