Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: TK421! Why aren't you at you post? (Pic heavy Phoenix build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TK421! Why aren't you at you post? (Pic heavy Phoenix build)

Well, I'm a little late to the party but life happens, lol.

I stumbled on a Phoenix kit at my LHS and decided to give her a go. I like the body and it seems pretty well thought out so here we are. I know there are many other build threads for this buggy. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel but I'm just putting my thoughts out there. Let's boogie

Lou

Last edited by TK421; 11-26-2021 at 05:56 PM.
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TK421! Why aren't you at you post? (Phoenix build)

First thing I did was head on over to the VP webpage and downloaded the most recent version of the manual. I jumped into Bag A and got after the front axle.

Everything seems to be typical VP. I was a little surprised to see how much of the new bits are plastic but the new compound looks and feels pretty tough. It feels super stiff and the assemblies are very rigid once bolted together. I LOVE the brass axle tubes. The work really well with the size and the weight feels good overall, not just corner weight.

I liked being able to shim the ring and pinion prior to bolting up the 3rd member. The mold is very detailed and crazy strong.

The universals are pretty much slop free and I like the narrowed, keyed end the mates to the portal gears. I smeared a good layer of grease on them before installing them in the brass tubes.

NOTE: The kit grease is some pretty neat stuff, I'd love to know if anyone has a source for it.

The Knuckle/ Portal boxes are gnarly! very well molded and thick in all the right spots. The bearings are very well supported and minimal slop.
NOTE: The 6mm stub shaft! This thing is also mega burly and very smooth.

The completed axle is very smooth and spins nicely. Shouldered king pins keep the portal boxes in check and the knuckles have a good throw.

Lou
Old 11-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TK421! Why aren't you at you post? (Pic heavy Phoenix build)

The rear axle is sleek and trim. Same detailed molding as the front. I love how small the rear portals are.

The 3rd member, Ring and pinion are the same as the front and also shimmed out very well. The axle shafts and brass sleeves fit together very well and were no chore to install.

The aluminum detail plug is fantastic. It looks exactly like it belongs and the included wrench is a nice touch.

ATTENTION - Just my thoughts on the new plastic compound... I love it, but those of us in colder climates should take a little care as the winter approaches. This new material appears to be a fiber filled plastic composite. I can see the front C letting go in the right bind after having been in the cold for a while. Just my opinion, I hope I'm wrong but I don't intend to push it without a spare housing on hand.

Lou
Old 11-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
NOTE: The kit grease is some pretty neat stuff, I'd love to know if anyone has a source for it.

Lou
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/vps01017.htm
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

It's not the same stuff. The VP gear lube is more like the CowRC stuff. The grease that comes in the Phoenix kit is more like Red N' Tacky but blue, and a little more tacky/ stringy. It coats the gears really well and feels more like a high quality marine grease.

Lou
Old 11-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

And now for the tranny! This thing is a very sleek and well thought out hot mess.

The VFDtwin is a very nice update to the VFD line. Although the stock motor plate is very strong, I had the light weight aluminum motor plate on hand so in it went. The aluminum stand-offs are must for ALL VFD's IMO, they go such a long way to really stiffen the whole tranny assembly. The slipper clutch is simple but well executed. There is a PU(polyurethane) washer that acts as the "spring", you can really cinch it down yet it will still give way in an extreme bind. I love that they included a 52t spur, this helps keep the wheel speed up with the gear reduction of the portals.

Lou
Old 11-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The case sections and main gears go together like any other VFD. Again, the new plastic is used here and the VFDtwin is very, very rigid as an assembly. The Transfer case bearing carriers are held in place two ways. The forward end uses a screw and retainer to keep the carrier in place. The rear half uses the Dig lock to hold the carrier against the rear output.

The gear stack up is pretty strait forward. I had no problems with the E-clips and using the updated manual helped me make sense of the assembly. The drive dogs for Dig and OD are well machined and move freely as they should.

With the T-case bolted up, the gears are very smooth and lower drag than I would have expected with how busy it is inside there. I completely forgot to take a pic of the central pivot pin that sets the Dig and OD levers in place. The rubber shields are a bit of a pain to get right. As others have said, I think a softer boot style would be a better option. Once the assembly is complete, there is a little more drag in the driveline but pretty low slop given the complexity. I'll be anxious to see how it wears in over time.

Lou

TK421! Why aren't you at you post? (Pic heavy Phoenix build) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MyJrBear's VS-410 Phoenix Rising Build myjrbear Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 9 11-12-2021 12:31 AM
Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread cormier33 Axial XR10 132 10-26-2014 11:04 PM
Arizona, Phoenix, PARC (Phoenix Arizona Rock Crawlers) kevinlongisland Competition Results 5 12-18-2005 03:20 PM