Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Straight Axle Pheeny Weeny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2023, 10:23 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Straight Axle Pheeny Weeny

Been out enjoying the Phoenix

The stock white RC4WD foams were not bad at all, maybe the best stock foams I think I've drove on even though they are on the firmer side of things. It drives really well but we always like to fine tune right? My main complaint at the moment would be on the decents. Sometimes it seems the rear wants to overtake the front so looked into making a few adjustments.

I coulda cut the tray I know, but decided to grab a DSM mount. I only really have small stubby batteries, the one pictured below is the largest I use in this truck.

For now I just added some velcro but can see the battery making its way upto the front of the truck eventually, but I'm holding out on installing a winch later, then seeing what room is left to play with. Even having the battery in a similar position its lower down so should help the CG out.

Interested to see how the next decent goes
Pabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2023, 10:55 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Why did you switch back to the black grill, the white looks better?
Steven McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:02 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McKay View Post
Why did you switch back to the black grill, the white looks better?

I agree. The rear mounting of the SBC grill ripped off the mounts, so switchted back to stock. It was 3D printed so after a handful of rollovers it was done. I might be able to overlay the white piece on the stock black one. It's on my list of things to try

Last edited by Pabs; 03-18-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:54 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

@Steven McKay Managed to get the grill back on

I was pleased with how it ran last time out. Loosing the tray did help with decents for sure. I may have even got it a little dirty

Things that got highlighted to me this run was side hilling and grip was wanting a little. While these RC4WD single stage foams are good for out the box, with the tire examples, they sure did roll over themselves good with a side load. I knew there was better, especialy as had I spoiled myself with some antifoams for another rig already. I also knew that 3 bros wouldn't have anything for this extra wide wheel'd 4.65" setup, so kept searching. Luckily SL3D came through and saved my ass by making me some custom squid inserts for my setup and working double time to get them to me asap. Much respect goes out to SL3D

After removing around 7 or so of the scale rim bolts I began day dreaming and generaly being jealous of the 6 bolt quick swap pattern on the back of my other rims, but just got on with it and did it I was also after a slightly wider front track so added some SSD disc hubs to the front wheels while building them back up. May have overdone the width slighty as it added 1/4" to the front axle, a little more than I expected. It's not so much the overall width I'm worried about, more so the clearance on the inside for the straight axle clearing obstacles. I'll run with it next time out and revert back to the other hubs if needed and maybe extend the front more subtlely with some hexes instead.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:18 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

I kept comparing between the 300 and the 800. Pheeny is a little weighty so thought maybe it would be best to go with the 800, but after reviewing them in use thought I would give the 300 a go. She pulls the Phoenix well, and the speed is awesome too. Come install time and I amassed a selection of winch lines to choose from

I went bright and then found out it would not slip in the mount

Some light trimming went down and in she went

All lines up nicely with the stock front bumper guides and gave enough rod clearance at full compression (about 5mm with stock rod ends on the shocks)
Old 05-03-2023, 03:52 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

In for a quick splash 'n' dash service. SSD knuckles on, lockstops removed and a fairlead added. Then straight back out on the trails
Old 11-24-2023, 07:04 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Xavier seems to have drunk his Coke, I dunno where it went. He does seem to have grabbed some reading material. Who knows what he has planned

He has been giving the truck a hard time. I've been working with it, giving areas some light weathering

Not sure what to do about the window scratches I think Xavier might have a side hustle too! He has been bolting up an old SCX 10.3 bumper to tow other rigs around!

I'm not sure he knows I know, I dunno if I should say anything?

Meanwhile, I just got on with a few front end changes. The grill got changed up again. I grew tired of the winch hook dangling around and rigged up a shackle for it on top of the bumper. I Didn't like how it sat on the front face of the bumper. Finally got the wipers on, trimmed them down a little to look a bit more correct. Xavier must have got the motor box from a junkyard, as its not quite the right colour

Thanks for looking!
Old 11-25-2023, 07:21 AM   #28
Go Buckeyes!

I like how this rig is taking shape! Great idea to add rust and weathering to the cracks and scratches on the body. Body looks great with the details!

Are the wheels Boomracing ProBuilds and are they the wides? They look great!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:29 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I like how this rig is taking shape! Great idea to add rust and weathering to the cracks and scratches on the body. Body looks great with the details!

Are the wheels Boomracing ProBuilds and are they the wides? They look great!

Thanks!

Yeah, they are the wide Probuilds, definately some of my favorite wheels

This is my go to trail rig, it doesnt need for anything so i'll just work with it and age it a little as we go. One of the front rod ends is nearly worn through so that will need swapping out, but the skid is largely unscratched, which says to me I should go lower. That would mean loosing the fenders which is something I had been thinking about. It performs great as is though
Old 11-27-2023, 08:24 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
Thanks for the welcomes guys! I think I've fixed it now

Made a start on the interior with Tamiya copper underneath and black on top

Little bit too glossy, so hit it again with Tamiya smoke and flats to tone it down

Then got to sticking it together

Xavier says hi
by

where is that driver from? nice size and fit.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:03 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
where is that driver from? nice size and fit.

He is the Tamiya Driver Figure, the interior was designed for him

Straight Axle Pheeny Weeny - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC Axle Master Axial AX10/SCX10 Rear Straight Axle Kits LetsHandleit Axles, Trannys, T-case 41 06-24-2012 06:57 PM
RC Axle Master's Straight 4340 Chromoly Straight Axles Cruzin Illusion EnRoute Berg 48 08-29-2009 06:07 PM
Hot Racing rear straight axle kit or stock Axial straight axle lockout? jmbones Axial AX-10 Scorpion 36 05-28-2008 04:28 PM