Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: BluJeep builds a Toyota (Phoenix)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2023, 08:35 PM   #21

Default Re: BluJeep builds a Toyota (Phoenix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I put mine up beside the steering servo. It's in a receiver box that I found on Thingiverse. It does not seal, but will serve as a splash guard in case I get into shallow water or mud.

Attachment 402423

Thanks everyone, I think I’m going to put it up front. I mocked up a simple styrene box, I just need to figure out how to attach a lid.

Or if that doesn’t work, I found a couple of 3D print files. Don’t have a printer so I’d have to send it out.

B-MOW-71, did you attach yours to the servo mount holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BLUJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2023, 02:59 AM   #22
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUJEEP View Post
Thanks everyone, I think I’m going to put it up front. I mocked up a simple styrene box, I just need to figure out how to attach a lid.

Or if that doesn’t work, I found a couple of 3D print files. Don’t have a printer so I’d have to send it out.

B-MOW-71, did you attach yours to the servo mount holes?

I made a plate and attached it with screws. I used 3M servo tape to attach the receiver box to the plate.

Last edited by B-MOW71; 03-21-2023 at 06:04 AM.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:35 AM   #23

Quote:
I made a plate and attached it with screws. I used 3M servo tape to attach the receiver box to the plate.
Looks great, thanks! My handmade box idea didn't work out, I went to screw the lid on and it cracked. So going the 3D printed route also.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:06 PM   #24

Well my 3D printed receiver box finally showed up!

I used this as an opportunity to do another design in Fusion 360. I've been watching YouTube tutorials from Paul McWhorter (Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying!) and I was able to fab this little guy up. I used my failed styrene box to help me get the measurements right.

There are some things I'd like to change for the next one but I'm pretty happy with this, and it will do for now. There's a lip on the inside of the lid which I should have made a little smaller; I had to sand and trim a bit for it to fit. The box is also little thin, so not sure how long it will last, lol.

This was printed at JawsTec in MJF nylon. I had a hinged body mount printed there in the same material and it has been super tough so far. We'll see how it does here.

I used some silicone tape to make a seal at the opening.

Last edited by BLUJEEP; 04-04-2023 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:52 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

The Rx box looks good. I don't know anything about the material, don't have a printer yet but I'm sure it will hold up if it's nylon. The silicone tape gave me an idea, I might just make my own from a tube of silicone I have to seal my Rx. Just thought of making a silicone gasket for the top too.
Steven McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:27 AM   #26
Go Buckeyes!

Receiver box looks great and fits in there perfectly! I like that you made it tall enough so that the wires have room to be plugged in.

The box that I printed is a little short and the wire that are plugged into the receiver are somewhat smashed when the lid is on.

I need to check out that YT vids you watched and learn more about Fushion 360 so that I can design and modify my own parts. As of now I know just enough to make small parts, but takes me forever!
Old 04-05-2023, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McKay View Post
The Rx box looks good. I don't know anything about the material, don't have a printer yet but I'm sure it will hold up if it's nylon. The silicone tape gave me an idea, I might just make my own from a tube of silicone I have to seal my Rx. Just thought of making a silicone gasket for the top too.

Thanks! I thought about that too. But this should be dirt and splash resistant at least, not going to be dunking it.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Receiver box looks great and fits in there perfectly! I like that you made it tall enough so that the wires have room to be plugged in.

The box that I printed is a little short and the wire that are plugged into the receiver are somewhat smashed when the lid is on.

I need to check out that YT vids you watched and learn more about Fushion 360 so that I can design and modify my own parts. As of now I know just enough to make small parts, but takes me forever!

Thanks! That was one of my goals, to leave enough room for wires to avoid kinking.

I’m a total noob with Fusion too, so this took me a long time to make. But the videos helped, definitely recommended.

Having a mock-up helped get the dimensions and screw holes right. I’d like a set of calipers for next time.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:36 PM   #29

Finally got some paint on the Phoenix body. I sprayed silver backed with black on the inside, and this PS-32 Corsa Grey on the outside. I love it. Originally I was going to paint the top white and buy some white or silver wheels and a white Toyota grille.

But I’m broke atm so stock black wheels and grille it is. And I’m going to see what the top looks like in black. I may try to weather it and then seal it up with matte clear.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:38 AM   #30
Go Buckeyes!

That classic color is going to look great with a little weathering.

You could still paint the top white before it is sealed with matte clear. Also, I would paint the window trim black or silver on the outside instead of using the decals. It's more work, but looks great in the end. I painted mine black with matte clear and it looks great. Just a though.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:05 AM   #31

Quote:
That classic color is going to look great with a little weathering.

You could still paint the top white before it is sealed with matte clear. Also, I would paint the window trim black or silver on the outside instead of using the decals. It's more work, but looks great in the end. I painted mine black with matte clear and it looks great. Just a though.

Cool, thanks! What kind of paint did you use for the window trim? I have some Tamiya black acrylic I could brush on.

Also, what did you use for the matte clear? I was thinking of using the PS55 clear.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:12 AM   #32
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUJEEP View Post
Cool, thanks! What kind of paint did you use for the window trim? I have some Tamiya black acrylic I could brush on.

Also, what did you use for the matte clear? I was thinking of using the PS55 clear.

I use Tamiya PS-5 black spray can and top it off with a couple coats of the PS-55 flat clear. I normally use the outside film for the masking when spraying the black on the outside. Without the film I use the green frog tape to tape off the window trim and the rest of the body to spray the black on the trim.

I don't have a close up of mine at the moment, but have this pic if you are able to zoom in to see what it looks like. The top, hinges and fender flares are painted black the same way.

Name:  IMG_0290.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  183.3 KB
Old 05-23-2023, 11:04 AM   #33

Quote:
I use Tamiya PS-5 black spray can and top it off with a couple coats of the PS-55 flat clear. I normally use the outside film for the masking when spraying the black on the outside. Without the film I use the green frog tape to tape off the window trim and the rest of the body to spray the black on the trim.

I don't have a close up of mine at the moment, but have this pic if you are able to zoom in to see what it looks like. The top, hinges and fender flares are painted black the same way.

Attachment 402679

Thanks, that looks great!

Old 06-11-2023, 07:50 PM   #34

Finished up the body, turned out better than I thought. Using the PS-55 flat clear on top really helped unify the surface. I’ll weather it and add some more scale details at some point.

Took it out for a shakedown run, it did awesome! Super smooth and quiet with the Fusion SE motor. Very good slow control too.

The only problem I have is the shocks are leaking pretty bad despite using green slime. But since the o-ring pack in the shock body is pre assembled, I didn’t put any on those. Just used it on the shaft threads when sliding them through. Otherwise I’m super stoked with this little truck!

Old 06-13-2023, 06:35 AM   #35
Go Buckeyes!

Body looks great! The black trim and top turned out great!

When I built my shocks I used a toothpick to try and spread as much green slime in the packing I-rings as I could. I really haven’t seen any leaking yet. It may be a good idea to remove the o-rings and apply more slime. IMO these shocks are a huge improvement over the Incision shocks that came with my Origin and Pro.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Body looks great! The black trim and top turned out great!

When I built my shocks I used a toothpick to try and spread as much green slime in the packing I-rings as I could. I really haven’t seen any leaking yet. It may be a good idea to remove the o-rings and apply more slime. IMO these shocks are a huge improvement over the Incision shocks that came with my Origin and Pro.

Thanks! I didn’t like the black top at first, it was too shiny and stood out too much. But a coat of flat clear made it much better. Need to find a driver.

I’ll pop the shocks and try adding more slime when I get motivated, lol.

BluJeep builds a Toyota (Phoenix) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny builds a Toyota Hilux. JohnnyAnguish RC4WD Trail Finder 2 49 04-09-2020 08:53 PM
Imthatguy builds a Toyota - SHOCKER! imthatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 57 10-19-2017 08:06 AM
Lentsnh2012 Builds: 1981 Toyota Pickup Take 2 Lentsnh2012 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 02-07-2016 05:53 PM
Lentsnh2012 builds: 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Lentsnh2012 Tamiya XC/CC01 27 12-13-2013 04:13 PM
lowslowtj builds a toyota truggy for nostayhome lowslowTJ 2.2 Scale Rigs 64 11-15-2010 08:27 AM