Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Land Rover LR3 for the Vaterra Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Land Rover LR3 for the Vaterra Chassis

I stumbled onto this online and ordered one. The K-5 Blazer body is about 19 3/4" long and this Land Rover LR3 is 19" so I should be able to alter the wheelbase enough to get the tires to tuck into the wells with a little fiddling. I prefer a hard body and detailed interior to a Lexan shell, so I'm going to try to fit it onto the Ascender chassis, hopefully without having to hack the interior too much. Plus, I screwed up the paint on my Blazer, which I can still use for nasty driving, I guess.

Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Land Rover LR3 for the Vaterra Chassis

My Ascender kit came with two rear 4-link trusses, so I don't have the one that has the hole through it to allow the front of the battery tray to ride on the axle. I think the weight of the battery will hold it down, so I can live without it - as long as it doesn't interfere with the movement of the front axle, that is.

My K-5 body got painted on the outside, which was pretty decent looking until I tried to weather it. I scuffed off quite a bit of the "weathering" paint with a #0000 steel wool, but I can't fix what I've done, so I will drive it as is until the Land Rover body arrives (don't hate me). I may try to tint the windows and black out the window seals if I can recover from the shame of what I did to this body.

Soaking in Super Clean degreaser removed the chrome from the diff covers and the grill. At first I thought it wasn't working, but after setting for about an hour the parts were almost completely black, shiny plastic. I put the covers back on with some scale bolts (I may paint the covers to look metal) and gave the grill a shot of flat black paint.

Then I took a male axle half-shaft to ACE Hardware and test fitted screws to put into the empty holes. I found that 1 1/2" 10-24 screws were a perfect fit. I screwed them in and used a Dremel cut-off wheel to remove the heads. They are probably going to be much less likely to twist off, but we'll see. I ordered a set of steel drive shafts from Super Shafty anyway.

Although the manual had me scratching my head a couple of times and I made some mistakes along the way, over all I like this kit and I'm glad I bought it.

...of course I haven't broken anything yet, either.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

Just noticed the wheels and tires. This is the tire combination I was interested in. You will have to let us know how they do
redxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #4

My old K5 that I want to clone using RC4wd steel pro10's, and the MTZ 1.9 4.19 tires.
redxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
jpf
Quarry Creeper

Default Land Rover LR3 for the Vaterra Chassis

Hey Alpha, where did you find that LR3 body? A link?
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf View Post
Hey Alpha, where did you find that LR3 body? A link?
No problem.

1:10 LR3 Land Rover Luxury SUV-$75 [RC MODEL CAR LR3 Land Rover] - $75.00 : Wholesale RC Helicopters
Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxz View Post
Just noticed the wheels and tires. This is the tire combination I was interested in. You will have to let us know how they do
I'm not much of a rock crawler, but for trail riding they are great. Beautiful and scale.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
My Ascender kit came with two rear 4-link trusses, so I don't have the one that has the hole through it to allow the front of the battery tray to ride on the axle. I think the weight of the battery will hold it down, so I can live without it - as long as it doesn't interfere with the movement of the front axle, that is.
Sorry about the miss packaged parts. Please be sure to call customer service and let them know that you need a VTR232074 make sure to describe it as the link support as opposed to "trusses". Might confuse them
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

The seller never claimed the money for this transaction from my Paypal account, so I had to cancel the payment. I'm not sure if they are unavailable, but I don't want anyone else to waste their time trying to buy from this seller since I got no response.

I guess I'm still looking for another body for my Ascender.

Land Rover LR3 for the Vaterra Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
land rover lr3 bigg rocker Newbie General 1 12-30-2010 11:24 AM
Land Rover LR3 jeep_crwler 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 04-13-2009 02:06 PM
Land Rover LR3 grob23 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 04-05-2008 10:37 PM
Land Rover LR3 AeroSynch 1.9 Scale Rigs 16 03-09-2008 09:51 AM
Land Rover LR3 CC-01 AeroSynch 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 12-22-2007 08:48 AM