Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Dang torque twist!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 12:58 AM   #1

Default Dang torque twist!

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to reduce it? The JC Auto Design upper link mounts didn't do anything, I actually think they made it worse.

Newdieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Dang torque twist!

Of course, the RULR didn't get rid of the torque twist of my Ascender, as this is impossible. But it reduced it to the point that the body still tilts, but all wheels stay on the ground.
Other than that, you could try to add more pre-load to the rear left spring or use a harder one. More damping would also reduce the effect a little, but both measures certainly have an impact on suspension performance and I try to stay away from that.
aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you check out my build thread you can see how I mounted an Axial Wraith sway bar to the truck. It has definitely helped. I'm still tuning it with bar thickness and whatnot, but it is an easy mod that looks super scale (when paired w/ the links and coilovers at least) and massively improves performance.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The 2-1 axle gears suck, they are causing the TT much more so than the 3-1 or 3.3-1 axial gears do. A couple guys here are running the ascender, they preload for forward but downhill the trucks lean very hard the other direction. That crappy axle ratio is the only reason I don't have one. Good luck on getting your TT under control.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocaged View Post
The 2-1 axle gears suck, they are causing the TT much more so than the 3-1 or 3.3-1 axial gears do. A couple guys here are running the ascender, they preload for forward but downhill the trucks lean very hard the other direction. That crappy axle ratio is the only reason I don't have one. Good luck on getting your TT under control.
Your just a hater. Even with torque twist my vaterra will beat your axial based...cough...cough.....crawler
Nicolasmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

X2 on the sway bar. I have one on the rear only, problem solved. The RULR things were a waste of $$, just flexed and moved all over the place.
Nissan231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #7

If the swaybar is thick enough to really limit the TT, how much it will limit the suspenision movement in rough terrain? do you still get full flex with the swaybar?
Volvospede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:28 AM   #8

A small Slash rear sway bar and the shocks and links moved outward on the rear axle: very pleased with the result.
ra272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolasmj View Post
Your just a hater. Even with torque twist my vaterra will beat your axial based...cough...cough.....crawler

hehehe we will see soon enough.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:27 AM   #10

Does anybody have any before and after flex pic's or video's with rear swaybars?
Newdieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdieselguy View Post
Does anybody have any before and after flex pic's or video's with rear swaybars?
I am interested in this also.
Fornstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

It does limit travel quit a bit, but I feel it is worth it for the stability. I am working on a way to have a servo operated sway bar disco, so hopefully I will have the best of both.
Nissan231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

For your RULRs, when did you purchase them?
I made a running change to them that may help, but as has been stated, the 2:1 axle ratio is really to blame, and the RULRs only help to reduce the twist (their main feature is the better geometry for steeper climbs).
If you have a set of the first version, I will gladly send out a set of the second version at no charge so you can try them out.

Please send me a PM with your Paypal transaction number, and we can go from there.

Thanks!
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #14

I will try to make some swaybars from piano wire, couple different thickness / shapes. Hopefully when combined with soft enough springs i can still get maximum flex with reduced amount of TT. And when it is ready you will get pictures and video of how it works, even if it doesn't work!

Edit: bought 1.0, 1.2, 1.5 and 2.0mm piano wire. Bent the first swaybar from 2.0mm and used original long springs without the short, soft spring on the top. This helped quite lot to the TT, but lost a little of the suspension travel as expected. i think next I'll put the short springs back to soften the suspension and make the swaybar even stiffer by making the shape little different. I believe that with correct combination the result could be really good. Hopefully I have time this evening to test this.

Last edited by Volvospede; 01-14-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Volvospede is offline   Reply With Quote

Dang torque twist! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help!-- Torque twist Tom94offroaduk Newbie General 24 03-03-2011 04:46 PM
Torque Twist Swiss Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 10-15-2007 01:12 PM
Torque Twist SeanD HPI Wheely King 20 06-07-2007 11:26 AM
Torque Twist John Deere Tamiya TLT Crawlers 31 04-13-2007 03:03 PM
Torque Twist drzjohn Newbie General 1 03-09-2006 11:13 AM