Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: New Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #1

Default New Ascender

Just pulled the trigger on a new ascender and want to know what are the must haves. I read through a few of the the other threads but I'm looking for the most up to date info.

Does the kit come with the HD gear?
Have all the mistakes been fixed with the new kit?
Looking at HH 27T (35T seams to be out of stock), is this a good motor?
Looking to make it a 2 speed, what's the parts list needed and we're can I get the instruction to make the changes?
adonis_mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

Default Re: New Ascender

Ordered some wheels but still can't decide ont he motor, what is everyone running?
Old 03-13-2015, 04:10 AM   #3

There are several options for motors for the Ascender. I run a 45 turn on 3s in one and the other I run a 17.5 unsensored system in. The 17.5 can be run on 2 or 3s. As long as you drive the truck like it was intended for you shoulded have any failers. I got my trucks when they first hit the hobby shops and have been driving then every weekend with zero failures. As for the 2 speed I never decided to go that route. I have a twin hammers which has basically the same transmission but is two speed and the shift servo set up can be a little bit tough. I didn't want to deal with it in the Ascender. I would recommend building the truck and driving it with the single speed to determine if you want or need the 2 speed. You can save that 60-70 dollars and put it somewhere else in the truck.
ON THE ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis_mp View Post

Some do, some don't. Mine didn't (ordered right after Christmas), so I'd suggest ordering a pair to have on hand just in case. Same with the HD shafts. Both parts are cheap, and worst case is you'll have spares.

Quote:
The answer to that question is never no, regardless of vehicle or manufacturer..

Quote:
Looking at HH 27T (35T seams to be out of stock), is this a good motor
They make several different 27t motors and not sure what you mean by "good." Almost all of their products are "good" for their purpose given the price, and they have a pretty wide range of price points with different features and benefits. I currently run a ROC 412 3100 kV on 2s but will be switching to an HH Crawlmaster Pro 16t (equivalent to a 35t) on either 2s or 3s (TBD). I run the Crawlmaster in a couple of other rigs and love it.

Quote:
Looking to make it a 2 speed, what's the parts list needed and we're can I get the instruction to make the changes?
Search is your friend. Rich's parts list is dead on:
How to convert Ascender trans to a Two Speed

This 2-speed is a bit more finicky than some others. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't recommend it right off the bat if you're new to kit building. You can always add it later.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on a new ascender and want to know what are the must haves. I read through a few of the the other threads but I'm looking for the most up to date info.

Looking at HH 27T (35T seams to be out of stock), is this a good motor?
My kit is due Tuesday from the Big Brown Truck. I will check to see if the HD gears are included.
RABIDFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #6

Came in today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started on the transmission and noticed that the slipper plates were similar to my Team Losi Racing 22s, so.........

...I will be replacing them with these. They have more contact surface and will vent better. Also, the spur gears are the same so now you have more options.

Last edited by adonis_mp; 03-17-2015 at 09:34 PM.

New Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My ascender Fatman489 Vaterra Ascender 2 01-26-2015 05:29 PM