Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: ascender axle reducing track width further?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 01:04 AM   #1
adz
Rock Stacker

Default ascender axle reducing track width further?

ive read on here that you can reduce the track width of the ascender axles from 192mm to 180mm very easily, has anyone gone further? im wanting to solid axle a cc01 body so id like 170mm or maybe less

has it been done? can it be done? how easy is it?

Adam
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: ascender axle reducing track width further?

you could shorten the shafts and extend the flat spots as far as shafts go. the real problem would be the lower link mounts. you would have to either cut them off and come up with a custom mount or cut the tubes near the diff and shorten the tubes and run some sort of beef tube setup.
Nicolasmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Like Nicolasmj said, the link mounts are the biggest limiting factor in narrowing the axles further. You could shave some material off the inside of the C-hubs and rear lock outs to narrow it up a few more MM. Some creative thinking would have to go into narrowing them up more than that. Cutting the axle tube then sleeving and glueing it would require some pretty thin tubing since there is not much space in there. Cutting off the link mounts and converting to leaf springs would let you go as narrow as you want.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:58 AM   #4
adz
Rock Stacker

thanks for the replies, just been looking at some pics of the axles and the rear looks really simple due to how small the lock out is, the fronts i agree are not so easy. i think a mix of reducing it by the 6mm each side as vaterra designed it then maybe an extra few mm just enough so i can drill and bolt the c hub from the inside of the link mount if you get my drift, any more will need to be taken between the pumpkin and link mounts.

i make beef tubes myself so il simply drill out the tubes so i can fit a nice big heavy beef tube in for support
adz is offline   Reply With Quote

ascender axle reducing track width further? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to shorten your Ascender Axle Housing Track width Rich Trujillo Vaterra Ascender 33 02-07-2020 05:39 AM
Best axle = narrow track width for D90 Build. Desert Rc General Scale Talk 7 12-05-2011 05:14 PM
reducing tires-width has to be first? pantablo Tires and Wheels 4 03-27-2008 11:00 AM
WK axle + 1.9 rim = what track width? 4x4boy 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 10-21-2007 07:52 PM
TLT axle + 1.9 rim = what track width? STANG KILLA SS 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 05-16-2007 10:03 AM