Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Need help with new body on my Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Need help with new body on my Ascender

Anyone have a good source for body mounts to help me fit an Atlas body to the Ascender? I don't have problem with the RTR body it's just that there are a lot of red and white Blazers out there and I want something different. I have seen many different options out there for body mounts but don't know which would be the best set to get. Any help appreciate.
kcbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need help with new body on my Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbeatty View Post
Anyone have a good source for body mounts to help me fit an Atlas body to the Ascender? I don't have problem with the RTR body it's just that there are a lot of red and white Blazers out there and I want something different. I have seen many different options out there for body mounts but don't know which would be the best set to get. Any help appreciate.
Why can't you just use the stock body mounts? The rear mount has shorter pieces not just the tall rear mont for other bodies.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I decided to cut the body and find how far off it is. Natedog you are right, simply shorter straight posts will work. Sorry for my senior moment. So if anyone wonders if the Jconcepts Atlas body will work here it is. Turns out no special body mount needed. I really like this truck as it is so flexable on aftermarket upgrades.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Update on the new body for my Ascender. I have almost completed the paint job, wish I was good at painting. I have some problems areas to fix but here it is.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That came out good, like the color, looks like you painted the black bed liner and fender flares on the outside for that matte look?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thank You Natedog. Yes I did paint the flares and bed on the outside with satin black. I meant to buy flat black but got this instead. We will see how well it holds up to trail runs.

I'm going to do some scale additions to the stock body and swap back and forth.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Dang that body is HUGE! That will definitely stand out in a sea of red and blue blazers!
Dextroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextroyer View Post
Dang that body is HUGE! That will definitely stand out in a sea of red and blue blazers!
Speaking of huge, here it is wearing some 2.2 shoes. These are the Gmade G-Air 2.2. The body is mounted in the lowest position, so clearance will not be an issue with this truck.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Well 2 lessons learned, Krylon Synergy paint for plastics is not recommended. I waited 5 days before trying to scrape off the poor masking errors. This paint refuses to dry completely to a hard finish. So I am unable to fix my fender flairs. Second painting on the outside of the lexan body is a bad idea.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbeatty View Post
Well 2 lessons learned, Krylon Synergy paint for plastics is not recommended. I waited 5 days before trying to scrape off the poor masking errors. This paint refuses to dry completely to a hard finish. So I am unable to fix my fender flairs. Second painting on the outside of the lexan body is a bad idea.
Wow, bad news about the Krylon paint not drying completely, did you shake it well before use? I've alwys used either Pactra or Tamiya lexan paint, usually spray cans or Parma Faskolor sprayed with an airbrush. I painted the outside of my Honcho body with some old leftover Pactra spray paint and I like how it turned out, not so artificially shiny. I did shake the old can really well and pre-heated it in some really hot water. Here's my outside painted after patching it up wtih drywall tape and ShoeGoo.

New outside paint! I like the color and shine better on the outside, not so overly glossy like inside paint and when it scratches you'll see the 'steel' underneath.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I should have used the Pactra or Tamiya lexan paint. I'm glad to hear you are having good results on painting on the outside. I wish I had a local hobby shop that I can buy things like this. My nearest LHS is 60 miles away.

Lesson learned. Your outside paint job looks good.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Sometimes you try stuff and it works out great, other times it's learning. As long as you're using lexan paint, wash the body like you would for a new paint job, and spray when the temperature and humidity are within range it should turn out well. Bummer about 60 miles to LHS. Thanks. It's good to have spare bodies and trail versus shelf bodies, you can buy another and try again. I want to get a Deadbolt body to outside paint for when I want a smaller beater body.

Need help with new body on my Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ascender body on scx10 4X4 Freak Axial SCX-10 28 03-10-2016 01:22 PM
Ascender Body Swaps jrkilburn Vaterra Ascender 3 12-30-2014 06:16 PM