Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Noob question about Ascender's kit quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Noob question about Ascender's kit quality

I think I have narrowed down my next purchase to Vaterra's Ascender. Since I already have Spektrum TX and RX, I am looking for the kit instead of RTR. Now, being a complete beginner in RC, I am not sure that I would be able to put together a kit. I know how to solder and have built some plastic and paper models in the past including dioramas. I know that this is not super related but just wanted to state that I can handle small parts and follow instructions. I guess my biggest fear is if the parts in the kit need sanding, drilling, fitting, trimming, etc. With plastic models I can always patch if I cut too close but drivetrain on a RC car may not be suitable for patching if I mess something up. So my question to all who built Ascender from ground up: How hard was it? Was there a lot of parts that needed adjustments and trimming before you were able to install them?
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Noob question about Ascender's kit quality

The Ascender is not hard to build at all. The only modification I remember having to make was sanding the edge of the skidplate to fit into the frame rail on one side. Everything else goes together with no problems.

Read the sticky of things to know before you start building, get a good set of hex drivers, then get to building.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #3

You can put together a kit if you can use hand tools.

I did have a few issues with my Ascender, but that's not typical of their quality so I'm not sure what happened. Like svt923 stated, I had to sand down the skid plate. They were supposed to have fixed that issue, but I guess they didn't. Other than that it's pretty much cut it off the plastic trees and use hex drivers. Make sure you have high quality hobby-grade hex drivers or you might strip some screw heads. An electric screwdriver will save arm pump, but don't screw it all the way in with a powered driver. Just get it close to the plastic and finish it off with a hand driver. Also make sure you have a sharp knife to trim the sprues off of the plastic when you remove it from the tree. If you remove a flush side cutters you rarely have to trim. I use this cheapo from Harbor Freight and I love it: Micro Flush Cutter

I recommend these MIP drivers as will many others: TowerHobbies.com | MIP Metric Hex Wrench Set
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Kit is a piece of cake. As suggested, read the sticky in this thread about some little details you will need to know about.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the replies. I am more confident now that I can build it. I will definitely get good set of tools before I start working on the Ascender.
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The Ascender is not hard to build at all. The only modification I remember having to make was sanding the edge of the skidplate to fit into the frame rail on one side. Everything else goes together with no problems.

Read the sticky of things to know before you start building, get a good set of hex drivers, then get to building.
X2, do it you'll have fun and know the truck from inside out when you're done. I love building rc kits, relaxing hobby.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
relaxing hobby.
Yeah...'till shit breaks and you're doing the walk of shame, carrying everything a mile back to your car LOL.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

LOL, oh well...sometimes things break, build it well and this happens less frequently. I love analyzing how it broke and building/modding it to be better next time. A frosty beverage while building can be a relaxing treat.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
A frosty beverage while building can be a relaxing treat.
I'm on #2 right now! Not in the mood for building right now.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote

Noob question about Ascender's kit quality - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob Yeti XL Kit Setup Question SkyScorpion Axial Yeti XL 6 03-12-2015 09:09 AM
Noob here - Got a kit on the way. VI™ Newbie General 22 05-30-2014 04:04 AM
Tire foam question. WARNING!!! Noob question! tokdl Tires and Wheels 6 05-07-2014 10:55 AM
Noob Kit questions merlin3287 Axial Wraith 4 12-27-2012 06:47 PM
Battery Quality Question Planespotter Electronics 2 06-18-2010 07:58 AM