Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Dig, differential axle gearing or ... ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dig, differential axle gearing or ... ?

Anybody done this type of thing on an Ascender? Truck gets a lot of 'push' when trying to make a sharp turn. Makes it more difficult lining up for the chosen mount/route (up/down/horizontal) which would work without the push! OD/UD? Maybe different tire sizes, front and rear!? Too light at the front axle?

Been working on a coupla ways to add front axle weight. Bogged down right now due to lack of hardware and even the semi-local Hobby Town (was a 150 mile round trip) has moved to a larger city that is 175 miles away! Nearest 'hobby shop' now is 100 miles away in Jackson, MS.
anuthabubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dig, differential axle gearing or ... ?

Userid Rc2000 and IIRC Pete959 are both running switchable on the fly under-drive setup from rc crawler veicoli radiocomandati per fuoristrada estremo, which makes and sells some very nice parts! Little weight in axles and/or Vaterra aluminum knuckles, c-hubs, rear carriers and scale brass brake rotors help. What radio are you using? RTR stock setting has significantly less steering throw out of the box, than is physically possible for the axles.

Read Yeti.stealth answer here post #9 to get more steering with stock Spektrum Dx2E radio, I haven't tried this but am going to.
New Ascender RTR out of the box checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
Also one other free thing to do is set your throttle and steering End Point Adjustments (epa) on the stock radio to make sure you are getting full power to the motor and full steering angle in both directions.

Copy/paste of his instructions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is how i do it-

RTR radio switched off, steering dual rate knob turned all the way up. Throttle and steering trims turn fully counter clockwise.

Power up truck and set it on the ground upside down, make sure its not gunna go anywhere, cause the radio is off!

Hold the trigger in full reverse while switching radio on, green light starts flashing.
Release trigger, the radio is now in EPA mode. Throttle and steering trims are now EPA adjustment knobs to be used in next few steps. Wheels on truck probably running cause the throttle trim is turned, thats why its upside down!

Hold throttle trigger at full forward speed, while holding down trigger turn throttle trim knob to set your desired maximum forward speed, then release throttle trigger. ( ignore what the wheels on your truck are doing after you release trigger because the throttle trim knob is turned up) forward EPA is now set. Wait a second or two for radio to record new setting.

Hold full reverse speed and adjust throttle trim knob again to set desired reverse max. speed. Release trigger and reverse EPA is now set. Wait two seconds again.

Turn throttle trim knob to the middle to stop wheels turning on upsidedown truck.

Turn and hold steering control fully to the right, while holding adjust steering trim knob to set maximum desired steering angle, release steering control to center, right steering EPA is now set. Wait two seconds.

Turn and hold steering to the left, adjust steering trim knob to desired maximum left steering angle then release steering control to center, left EPA is now set. Wait a couple seconds.

Now center the trim knobs and switch off the truck and radio, job done.
Now you can enjoy the full steering angle available on the ascenders, mine was set at a reduced angle out of the box.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Am running an old Futaba 4PL in it now for the past few days. Have setup a coupla parameters to make it more comfortable to drive. Steering is lock to lock then backed off a hair to help with servo life.

Last edited by anuthabubba; 09-10-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Found the thread! Gonna try to find the parts and/or information on how to do the mod. The Italian website is 'under construction'.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

He is more facebook freindly then web site freindly. His parts r some of the best i have see from 3d printing world

LIFE IS GOOD
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete959 View Post
He is more facebook freindly then web site freindly. His parts r some of the best i have see from 3d printing world

LIFE IS GOOD
Thanks. And me a 'computer-tech' dumbo. Recently got on FB and can't figger how to navigate the place!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I've done this on my class 2 ascender build. Works great! If you have trouble locating the parts, or setting them up, to change a 2 speed into a over/under drive shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Dig, differential axle gearing or ... ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differential in front axle? Jay-Em Axial Wraith 6 09-27-2011 01:49 PM
CR-01 Differential/axle grinding? Please advise theplaz13 Tamiya CR-01 18 05-10-2011 08:47 PM
axle differential rubbing? psun786 Tamiya CR-01 4 01-17-2009 12:29 PM