Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

IIRC you're using non-traditional body mounts due to your interior? Not a fan of lightbars in 1:1 or scale RC due to getting smashed, glare off hood (matte black paint helps), and reduced clearance. Looks wise, I likee the roof rack mount, but that also adds even more weight up high. How about mounting on the front bumper up tight close to the body? I almost mounted a little about 2" bar this way on my Ascender, but have added headlights instead.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #202
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
IIRC you're using non-traditional body mounts due to your interior? Not a fan of lightbars in 1:1 or scale RC due to getting smashed, glare off hood (matte black paint helps), and reduced clearance. Looks wise, I likee the roof rack mount, but that also adds even more weight up high. How about mounting on the front bumper up tight close to the body? I almost mounted a little about 2" bar this way on my Ascender, but have added headlights instead.
Correct on the body mounts Nate. Using the cage from the K10 mounted to the shell of the K5 required a custom mount to be made. The ideal spot for the lightbar would be the bumper like I had with the RC4WD bumper, but the winch gets in the way on the SSD. Someone on the book of faces said to mount it to the hood tucked up by the windshield but the glare was my biggest concern there. I've actually not taken the truck outside in the dark since installing the light kit to see how much they produce.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #203
I wanna be Dave

OK, yep makes sense. Above the hood is going to be terrible glare and block most of the downward light that should be illuminating the trail. Your RC4WD pic looks good, only thing I'd suggest is mounting it behind the top bumper hoop for better approach angle and to protect the lights.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #204
Rock Crawler

The light tucked in pretty well but kinda tough to see in the pic. It was not the cause of hangups as much as the vertical piece at the bottom that the brackets attach to. That and the floppy brackets are the reason that bumper ended up on my backup rig.

Last edited by Ascender'nMN84; 06-20-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #205
Rock Crawler

Messed with some settings on the ESC last night and took it for a quick spin in the yard tonight after work. I'm beginning to get really mad at myself for letting this brushless system sit for so long before finally getting around to installing it. The 2280kv slate motor is just what this rig needed. Slow and predictable on the low end and enough wheel speed for when I need it. I'm no expert, but I'd say it's 50% faster than before. What was a brisk walk to keep up with the truck in a straight line is now going to be a light jog.

Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 new builds Roxzoff Racing General Scale Talk 2 09-07-2016 09:21 AM
2 1/6 builds blwn71 Large Scale Rigs 2 10-24-2013 05:54 PM
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM
K2-3L builds? 701 Technique Newbie General 4 05-18-2008 09:47 AM
Best Builds! kwanna03 General Crawlers 28 07-08-2007 02:21 PM