Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Extending the wb4 wheelbase?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Extending the wb4 wheelbase?

Hello all,

Searching didn't yield any input on this question, so here goes.....
I ordered a new body and a new set of tires for my ascender. From reading and looking at pictures of the body on a 12.3 wheel base I think I need to extend it around an inch, give or take, to keep from cutting into the doors on the body and help approach and departure angles.

Making some assumptions, I would guess it would be easier to mover the rear axle.
I would also like to make the top links slightly longer to tilt the pinion up slightly.

My idea is to buy the correct length links for the current wheel base, without spacers, them use spacers to push out the wheelbase slightly for clearance.

I don't think this small increase will affect how the shocks work, but does the drive shaft have enough travel?

Any input would be very much appreciated...
I couldn't find a tread on anyone doing this yet....
Junkk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Extending the wb4 wheelbase?

Also, will tilting the top of the rear shocks forward help torque twist the same way out boarding them does?
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Also, will tilting the top of the rear shocks forward help torque twist the same way out boarding them does?
I would guess it wouldn't help, as it would make them have less leverage on the axle. But just a guess. I think the reason out boarding them helps is because it causes them to bind slightly, not traveling in a straight line in relation to the axle movement, causing the axle to not move as freely. But again, just a guess as I haven't tried it.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You won't have enough driveshaft to move the rear axle rearward an inch. Your idea with the links should work fine. I'd just buy some solid steel or aluminum rod, cut to length, drill and thread and you'll have your links made up in one solid piece. While you're making links, definitely rotate the rear axle so the pinion angle is better. Might as well relocate the upper rear link front mount upward like we've all done to help with torque twist. Doubt the angled shocks will help with torque twist. Probably be worse because of the angled setup, the spring rate will be softer since they aren't acting straight up and down but now on an arc as well.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

X2, Ben nailed it. You can extend rear links 12mm more like I did, more than that and you'll have to buy or fab rear drive shaft. Ime laying rear shocks forward doesnt climb as well. Outbaording front and rear shocks helps with tt a lot, because axle has less leverage on them.

I've only outboarded rear so far but Rockhugger has done both and front tires barely touch shock springs if that.

Last edited by Natedog; 03-17-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I've only outboarded rear so far but Rockhugger has done both and front tires barely touch shock springs if that.
Thank you for the good ideas. I doubt I can outboard the front shocks since I am running the Twin hammers shocks. They are slightly larger, so it looks like they will rub.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You're welcome, try it and see.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Extending the wb4 wheelbase? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extending the scx10 wheelbase. Paul1234 Axial SCX-10 7 09-16-2013 10:52 AM
Extending The Wheelbase Qs EEM-CrawlinMachine 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 02-02-2011 05:20 PM
I am extending my wheelbase and need drivelines ScaleReady Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 03-25-2010 09:32 PM
Extending the wheelbase of a Creeper by 1” shambrick Venom Creeper 2 02-15-2010 04:41 PM
Extending the wheelbase Got Rocks? General Crawlers 7 10-05-2005 08:45 PM