Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: OnT's K5 Blazer build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default OnT's K5 Blazer build

After ordering my kit months ago. I finally got around to begin the build.

I'm starting to think that Friday the 13th wasn't the right day. Of the 6 screws required to seal up the transmission, 3 of them stripped. 2 M3 10mm on the motor plate and 1 M3 25mm on the back of the case.

I don't feel that I over exerted the driver. From the get go they all seemed a very tight fit to the tranny case.

I think a screw kit will be in order for any further issues. Which I hope there are none.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: OnT's K5 Blazer build

Well, I'm guessing things will only get better from here on in
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Yea, hang in there OLDNTired, the effort will be worth it in the end.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Made some progress today. Was able to remove the 4 stripped screws with minimal cursing and actually had replacements on hand.

Got through bag B. Have the motor/tranny and front axle and steering links done.

The front diff sounds a bit off so I think I'll tear it apart before going further. It spins freely for 2/3 of a rotation and then cogs really badly. My kit only came with one spacer for the spool gear. Guessing it's the mesh with the pinion gear.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So, I ended up powering through a few bags last night. Skipped some steps like shocks. Opted to build links last night.

This morning I decided to build the shocks. I notched one of the holes and did my best to keep it clear of the e-clips. My hands weren't thanking me much after that abuse. Links and shocks are my least favorite parts of the build.

Once the shocks were done I was able to start the final assembly of the axles to the chassis. I'll admit there were a few noodle scratcher moments but luckily I had my K10 there for reference on what went where.

There are still a few loose ends to tie up. Body mounts, ESC and servo. Overall I enjoyed the build. I was a little surprised by the amount of errors still in the manual. If it was a persons first build I could see them getting hung up in a couple of areas.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

What kind of sick and twisted mind comes up with this???? 28 stickers?!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #7

even the rtr trucks don't have the stickers installed
H20 Toie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaler Ascender View Post
I can't believe you sat and fitted everyone of those stickers, All straight and correct nicely done Think it's the little touches that make the difference
X2, well done! It's tricky getting those little decals in there and straight to boot.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the compliments guys. You can slide the stickers around some. Just don't press down really hard at first. I had to use a pair of tweezers to press down one end and get it off my finger. Position with a few tugs then wipe with the side of the tweezers. a qtip would have worked as well and not scratched up the stickers as much.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired View Post
What kind of sick and twisted mind comes up with this???? 28 stickers?!
they look great once installed, could always cut out the area in between, cut out the lexan behind it (or paint it black) and install styrene or 3d printed radiator.

Quote:
I can't believe you sat and fitted everyone of those stickers, All straight and correct nicely done Think it's the little touches that make the difference
I did and yes it does. Did mine while listening to the radio one evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20 Toie View Post
even the rtr trucks don't have the stickers installed
Nope, that's labor you'd have to pay for and pretty easy for end user to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
X2, well done! It's tricky getting those little decals in there and straight to boot.

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments guys. You can slide the stickers around some. Just don't press down really hard at first. I had to use a pair of tweezers to press down one end and get it off my finger. Position with a few tugs then wipe with the side of the tweezers. a qtip would have worked as well and not scratched up the stickers as much.
Yes, did mine with tweezers and a Q-tip.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'm really beginning to wonder about the hardware in this kit. Had 2 more bolts strip out on me over the weekend. That makes 6 so far out of this kit. All of them were M3 25mm or 30mm. Wondering if I got a bad batch of those? Never had this many hardware issues.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Is it the drive hex on the head or the threads that are stripping out? If it's the drive head, what allen drivers are you using?
Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Is it the drive hex on the head or the threads that are stripping out? If it's the drive head, what allen drivers are you using?
It's the head that's stripped on all of them. The one thing they all had in common is that even at the outset of driving them in they all felt exceptionally tight. I equated it to the tightness you feel just before you snug up the bolt.

I'll admit I'm not using the most expensive drivers out there. I have a Dynamite kit that I've had since I got my first slash back in 2012. It's been through 3 kit builds with no issues until now. This is the only kit that's giving me fits over stripping out. I've inspected the head of the driver and all the edges appear crisp. I don't see any rounding on the driver. Maybe a better set is in order.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I'd say a better set of drivers is in order (standard, not ball tips) RD Logics makes nice drivers and MIP. New screws going into unthreaded plastic use little CHAPSTICK on the screw threads helps the threads form in the plastic better, easier on your hands and the drive socket of the screw heads! I used to use RC motor bushing oil, now use CHAPSTICK like I learned from Ernie!!!

Edited to correct Chapstick not oil on screws.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-23-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I'd say a better set of drivers is in order (standard, not ball tips) RD Logics makes nice drivers and MIP. New screws going into unthreaded plastic use one drop of light oil on the screw threads helps the threads form in the plastic better, easier on your hands and the drive socket of the screw heads! I use RC motor bushing oil.
Thanks for the heads up on the oil on the threads. I'll also keep my eyes open for a new set of drivers.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Looks like you've reminded me I need to strip the shocks and notch the shock pistons. Oops Need to sort that out as soon as possible. I'm heavy handed so thinking the RTR was a good idea. Gutted about the stripped hardware did you already have replacement's at the ready?
Scaler Ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Looks like you've reminded me I need to strip the shocks and notch the shock pistons. Oops Need to sort that out as soon as possible. I'm heavy handed so thinking the RTR was a good idea. Gutted about the stripped hardware did you already have replacement's at the ready?
I was able to scrounge up replacements for the 4 that went in the tranny. The two on the Drivers side slider I'll need to replace. Good thing Hobby Town is only 2 minutes away. Will be a good excuse to stock up on some hardware. I want to outboard the rear shocks so buying the 30mm will come in handy.

Also hope the ESC came in today. That's the only thing keeping this thing from a test drive!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Ah Hobby Town USA, Only been in one store in Las Vegas when I was on holiday years ago lovely store wide range of stuff in stock.

I think a little trip is need and some extra purchases maybe made lol ;)
Scaler Ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Unfortunately my Hobby Town is no bueno if you own a Vaterra.

Ordering the screws tonight and might as well order the AE5 esc they didn't have in Stock either.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the CHAPSTICK on the threads. I'll also keep my eyes open for a new set of drivers.
You're welcome and you'll thank yourself after using a quality set with nice handles.

Quote:
Unfortunately my Hobby Town is no bueno if you own a Vaterra.

Ordering the screws tonight and might as well order the AE5 esc they didn't have in Stock either.
www.mcmaster.com is where I order most hardware.

Why buy AE-5, get this cheaper, waterproof, works great.
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...iant=753399705

Or step up a little $42 this is way nicer.
QUICRUN WP 1080 brushed ESC (2-3S) for Rock Crawler
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...nt=26223842568

Last edited by Natedog; 01-23-2017 at 10:58 PM.

OnT's K5 Blazer build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blazer Build Docwolf Kansas 8 04-14-2013 09:25 AM
1.9 K5 Blazer build ecoli Axial SCX-10 45 11-23-2009 09:49 AM
K-5 Blazer build..no name yet Mongo 2.2 Scale Rigs 71 11-05-2007 09:07 PM
K5 Blazer Build PaloAltoK5 2.2 Scale Rigs 142 09-07-2007 11:32 PM
Another 1.9 blazer build xxizzer421xx 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 08-14-2007 10:17 PM