Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 1.9 K5 Blazer build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 1.9 K5 Blazer build

Had this thread up in another forum, and decided since there was interest from a few others in this build, would post where I'm at currently on here as well.

So after selling a bunch of rigs, I realized I actually have nothing for myself in the house. The only rigs I do have are already sold. Can't allow that to happen !

I've decided I need at least two rigs. This one is going to be my new toy hauler. Chevy K5 Blazer built around an Axial SCX. When I was a kid, my parent's first new truck was an early 80s Jimmy. I remember it being a pain in the ass to get into the back seats, and I also remember my Dad being ticked off when I broke the mudflaps off kicking frozen snow/dirt off of them in the winter ! Anyways, thought it would be a blast to build something similar.

Specs:

SCX base with Hand Brothers steering servo mount/panhard

ScalEvolution rokcountry bumpers

MSD hawse fairlead

Mamba max esc w/CC bec

Hitec 645MG steering servo

Integy 35t motor

Wheels/tires on the truck are Axial. On the trailer are reduced mashers on HPI stock car wheels.

All the rest of the metal, styrene work, etc. I'm to blame for!

Last edited by ecoli; 10-19-2009 at 09:41 AM.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Attached the bumpers using some aluminum brackets I made out of 6061 sheet aluminum, Dremel cutoff, and brake. Also made the swing out bumper. Decided to pass on the spare tire/jerry can mount at this time.

Made up a roof rack.

And made the base for a utility type trailer for towing behind. This is based on the 1/4 ton military trailers. Still need to make the box for it.

Overall pic.

Obviously need some paint on the body. Want to make some simple sliders too, then on to the interior.

I also want to swap out the tires/wheels all around to 1.9 Rok Lox and the RC4WD OEM steel wheels. Eventually!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Few more progress pics:

Trailer is pretty much finished. Just needs paint and rear lights (need to find something appropriate, suggestions?). I think I'll be going with a canvas top for the trailer, but my sewing skills suck ! Actually, that just reminded me, need to add in some hooks on the trailer to tie the top down to.

Something else I'm working on. It's far from straight, but I've got too much time in it at this point to start over now! Once slapped on top of the trailer or the roof, it'll look good enough ! Sorry about the above pics. Flash on white never shows much for detail!

And the rack loaded up with the tent and other necessary accessories. Yes, I need a cooler.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

More pics as it stands currently. It's a runner, but still needs a lot of work done (interior, install winch, make sliders, install mirrors, wipers, etc.). Probably a good thing, since I have a habit of selling off rigs once they're done. I want to make a canvas top for the trailer, just need to convince myself to break out a needle and thread to sew a seam on ! Still, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out so far.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Met up with some of the Edmonton boys in Drumheller today and got the Blazer dirty. Did pretty well, but pulling a trailer behind it definitely presented some challenges. Best couple of pics of the day:

Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Great job Chris! Like I said before I really like the trailer. Do you have any pics of the 1:1 your parents had?
So how did the truck and trailer do this past weekend?
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Great job Chris! Like I said before I really like the trailer. Do you have any pics of the 1:1 your parents had?
So how did the truck and trailer do this past weekend?
Thanks Justin. I'll have to see if my parents have any pics the next time I see them. I do remember theirs was a brown colour and definitely wasn't built for offroading !

Truck and trailer did pretty well. The trailer is light, but still acted as a bit of a dead weight on some of the climbs the other guys were going up. Probably a bit due to the crappy motor I'm running too though. Backing up out of tight spaces was another issue too, trailer loves to jackknife.

Rolled it once too, and everything survived. The trailer actually just popped off of the temporary hitch I made up for it, so the styrene work was spared
Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looks damn good Chris, I EXPECT to see it in may, here in montana.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

That is one nice Blazer
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

That's a great looking combo. Having a trailer behind a truck is a ton of fun.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thanks everyone. Lots more detail stuff to come over the next few months (I hope!). As my wife said, it's just like Barbie, but for boys .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger View Post
Looks damn good Chris, I EXPECT to see it in may, here in montana.
Well sure, if someone that's going to Scale Nats buys it, it'll be there :-P!

I really am going to try this year. Got to get my passport renewed, should probably work on that now rather than waiting until the last minute !
Old 10-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
RCC Addict

nice work chris.
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:15 AM   #13

hey mate what did you use for the axel on the trailor?
couchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchee View Post
hey mate what did you use for the axel on the trailor?
Well, it was a bit of a process, and probably not one I'd repeat again. Here's what I did:

1. Took 1/4" brakeline sleeved it with 3/8" brakeline.

2. Ran 6-32 allthread through the brakeline, added nuts and brazed the allthread and nuts to the brakeline

3. Added wheels/tires and 6-32 locknuts, tightened enough to allow the wheels to spin on their hexes.

If I had been thinking right, what I would have done is use 4mm allthread and nuts instead of 6-32. That way, I could run standard rc size bearings on the axle and use standard 4mm wheel locknuts. Now I have to carry around an extra socket and driver . Live and learn.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
RCC Addict

what material you use on the roofrack and trailer, the screen i mean. TIA
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOOTZ View Post
what material you use on the roofrack and trailer, the screen i mean. TIA
Very small expanded metal. The place I bought it from normally sells it in 4x8' sheets, but they had some smaller cut pieces from another order so was able to pick up some for about 5 bucks

Very easy to cut, not so easy to braze up. It's pretty thin so it heats up much faster than the material I was brazing it to. Takes a bit of work to get it done right.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Digging the trailer. Looks like you got a nic place to use your rig too!
NOMERCY!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #18

sweeet build. how do you like the proline bumpers? also do you have any info about some fender flares for this particular body?
redlineryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlineryno View Post
sweeet build. how do you like the proline bumpers? also do you have any info about some fender flares for this particular body?
Not proline bumpers, these are rokcountry bumpers by Scalevolution. All delrin and much nicer than the proline ones. Of course they're a little more expensive too!

I don't think they make fender flares specific for this body. I seem to remember someone modifying some other fender flares from a hilift for a blazer. Could be wrong on that !
Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #20

my mistake with the bumpers. whats the web site where the scalevolution products can be seen?(i tired scalevolution.com and googling it. nothin.)

-thanks
redlineryno is offline   Reply With Quote