Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Went with the Ascender for my crawling fun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Went with the Ascender for my crawling fun

those are very nice! i need a set for trail-side fixing too.
I'm going to show up at proline by the fire a little under-prepared... kinda on purpose? to see what i really need for next time, and to see if i can really "ruff it". ;)

and the truck is coming along great too! i like your method of beefing up things that are functional AND look nice!
the wiring is super clean!

Last edited by Shinchu; 04-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #42
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
those are very nice! i need a set for trail-side fixing too.
I'm going to show up at proline by the fire a little under-prepared... kinda on purpose? to see what i really need for next time, and to see if i can really "ruff it". ;)

and the truck is coming along great too! i like your method of beefing up things that are functional AND look nice!
the wiring is super clean!
Thanks. I just been doing a little at a time. To be honest after running my truck now the Castle 2280 motor on 2s lipo is really easy on equipment but yet enough wheel speed if you need some extra but not like it would tear up a lot of things. If I can't make something I don't keep grinding and spinning my tires fore ever. Since I'm not doing a comp I just give it a little push and go on with my day.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #43
wyd
Rock Crawler

Today I wias working at the hobby shop I help out at and then order for this week showed. To my surprise a set of the RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler MT 1.9's arrived. I had them on the order but I thought I took them off the order but I didn't so now I have to figure out what wheels I want t o go with. I have the Proline FOrged aluminum wheels for my Hyrax tires but not sure I want another set as they are expensive even working at the shop. No real hurry to get these done as I have my Hyrax tires are awesome trailing so will see.

I do like the Proline wheels so might bite the bullet and get some if I can find the mounts I need as they are normally out of stock so once I get wheels I will get some pics up of what I went with.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:10 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Dude, ya already got one set of the Pro-Line wheels... liven things up with a great, yet inexpensive set of color-matched to the two-tone Ford body wheels like these bad boys:

SSD RC 1.9" Steel 8 Spoke Beadlock Wheels (White)

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #45
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Dude, ya already got one set of the Pro-Line wheels... liven things up with a great, yet inexpensive set of color-matched to the two-tone Ford body wheels like these bad boys:

SSD RC 1.9" Steel 8 Spoke Beadlock Wheels (White)

Have to say they do look nice that's for sure. I may have to look into a set of them. I do like SSD stuff so when I get time tonight when I get home I will look at them more closely.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #46
wyd
Rock Crawler

Didn't get new wheels for my new Good Year Wrangle M/T's yet but I did get some new Vanquish front axles after a few months of looking one of are own from this forum was nice enough to sell me a new set he had laying around. Man I love this website. Natedog hooked me up so here is what I have thinks to him and one of my hardest things to find for my Vaterra. Have to say these axles are awesome looking so too bad you don't get to see more of them

Old 04-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

that feel when you need something, but another thing pops up that's too good to pass on...
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Didn't get new wheels for my new Good Year Wrangle M/T's yet but I did get some new Vanquish front axles after a few months of looking one of are own from this forum was nice enough to sell me a new set he had laying around. Man I love this website. Natedog hooked me up so here is what I have thinks to him and one of my hardest things to find for my Vaterra. Have to say these axles are awesome looking so too bad you don't get to see more of them

Due to the weight of mine I'm going to have to pick up a set of those or universals. Those are pretty though.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Glad I could help out with the VP axles.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #50
wyd
Rock Crawler

I have some new 3s lipo packs to try out in my Ascender along with some of the new Proline Impulse wheels I picked up to with my my RC4wd Wrangler MT 1.9 tires. Will get them mounted up when I work at the hobby shop tonight and get some pics of them all mounted. Gives me a great 2nd set of tires to use along with my Hyrax tires I have setup already on my Ascender.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #51
wyd
Rock Crawler

Just saw the new SSD brass steering knuckles for the Ascender and they looking really nice looking upgrade. I already have some STRC aluminum knuckles and have some nice weight on the front of my Ascender but a nice pick if I do want to get something other than STRC. I have been really enjoying my Ascender and find it to be a really nice unit overall. Tonight will be fun as I get to try out my new 3s lipo packs I have for my Ascender.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #52
wyd
Rock Crawler

I have the new Impulse wheel mounted onto my RC4wd 1.9 Wrangler tires and that part was great and they fit perfectly. On the Proline site its says the optional brass wheel rotors fit the new Impulse wheel but damned if I get it to fit correctly with this new wheel. Anyone have the new Proline Impulse 1.9 wheel and using the Proline brass rotor weights?
Old 05-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #53
wyd
Rock Crawler

Would really like to get my Ascender out but the weather here has been rain for almost 2 weeks on and off so if your into mud bogging then I guess this great but I don't like mud so it just sits inside resting. I did get my 3 S lipo packs so need some longer velcro and I will have them setup for my Ascender.

The Impulse wheels and my RC4wd tires fit well but the brass weights that are to mount on the Impulse wheels from Proline fit but I personally don't think the fitament is great and then when they're are they don't fit over the steering blocks so that setup don't ork on my Ascender. Its just a spare set of tires so I don't need them to be all high end like my ones I use normally. Not sure what I want to do at this time.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

It rained all winter, here, and heavily, so I was uninspired to get out, because I don’t like having to wash mud off my rigs, especially when it’s cold. We’ve been having ideal spring weather, lately, though, and I’ve been out in my little yard area nearly every evening, after work, running my K10. I should probably update my thread, but I’ll wait until I get the stock tires onto some beadlocks, because then it’ll be worth noting.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #55
wyd
Rock Crawler

Been a little since I posted but finally made it out with a group of guys from Pit Stop Hobbies this weekend. First time running my Ascender since I put in the new front Vanquish front axles and did the shock preload on my rear shock to keep from torque flexing when climbing. Well both worked great and had zero issues with chassis torque and the new axles when flawless as well.

Shout out to Joe Ford at Castle Creations as my Micro X esc and Castle 2280 worked flawlessly all day and after 4 1/2 hours of crawling on a 5200 mach 50c shorty pack still running in the same lipo and motor or esc never even get warm. I can't ask for a better combination to crawl with in my Ascender. I still can't believe how well my Ascender works and I did everything that anyone tried and anywhere my buddy went with his Traxxas TRX. 4 1/2 hours of running vs when I go racing I get 15 minutes in 10 hours. Starting to like just going crawling with friends in stead plus the exercise I get is awesome.

Like to thanks ST Racing Concepts, Castle Creations and Pit Stop Hobbies for the support in my racing and crawling adventures.

Last edited by wyd; 07-09-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #56
wyd
Rock Crawler

Another couple pics.

Shout out to Scarecrow with his Carisma Crawler. Really impressive for $199 bucks rtr. Only thing he did was change tires and add bearings and it went almost anywhere so if your on a tight budget check one out.

Here is a picture of me with my Ascender. Yes I know I need to shed some pounds. I'm working on it.

Last edited by wyd; 07-09-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

no judgement here buddy, at least you are outside!
truck is looking awesome and great to see in the wild. the motor/esc combo sounds nice too.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #58
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
no judgement here buddy, at least you are outside!
truck is looking awesome and great to see in the wild. the motor/esc combo sounds nice too.
Thanks. The exercise is an added bonus to the rock crawling. I have two 3s 3200mah lipos that I have yet to try. To be honest I don't need them as I'm happy with my truck but I will try them out and see how it goes. Nice thing is they two packs sit side by side when my 2s shorty fits. Only change I need to do to make them work as ad a deans plug to my esc and I need a little longer velcro strap. No other mods needed so an easy mod to try.

I swear the Ascender even out of the box I thought was really nice and it works even better with just bold on stuff. This truck really makes me feel like I know what I'm doing. Pick the right line or just get close and it does the rest for me. Makes me feel like I'm cheating sometimes. I even went over some logs that most other trucks couldn't make but man the Ascender made it. Can't wait to get out again.

Last edited by wyd; 07-09-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #59
wyd
Rock Crawler

Today I ordered some SSD 8 spoke white steel bead lock rims that I will be putting some of the RC4WD 1.9 Goodyear MT/R tires on with the Proline molded inserts. I been using the molded inserts in my Hydrax tires and love that setup. To me it lets the tires do the work so will see this weekend how my new set works vs my Hydrax from Proline.

I like the PL molded inserts as they don't break down and should last a very long time. I like how it keeps the tires formed and with the little air gap between the tire and foam seems to be just the right amount when I'm out trailing and doing some climbing. IF the new MT/R work anything close to my Hyrax I will be happy. Can't wait to get them on these wheels and get my new tires on them. Will get pics once I get them mounted up.

Last week I ordered some RUHR from Shapeways for my Ascender. Those look like they will be here this week as well so I will install them on my truck if they're here before I crawl on Sunday.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #60
wyd
Rock Crawler

New SSD rims arrived today so I had some time and got the RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler MT/R mounted up and put them on my truck. Will get pics posted Thursday morning when I get on my work computer as it is easier to post them up vs my tablet. I think they look great. Can't wait to try them out this Sunday and see how they work on the trails.

Last edited by wyd; 07-18-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Went with the Ascender for my crawling fun - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawling fun Sandpro08 Competitions 0 01-08-2016 11:02 PM
JK and YJ Crawling Fun Rockman84 Scale Videos! 5 02-21-2013 12:08 AM
Crawling, mudding and fun freakos Videos! 2 03-31-2008 10:31 AM
Fun Day of Crawling jdmstuff General Crawlers 4 03-21-2008 07:32 AM
crawling fun mtrucker Chit Chat 8 06-06-2006 04:12 PM