Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Rich Trujillo's "Hulk" F100 Ascender Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
Sr. Product Developer

Default Rich Trujillo's "Hulk" F100 Ascender Build

Hi all,
although i have posted lots of pics on my Instgram account, I thought I'd share some info and pics of my F100 Ascender.

For this build, (Hulk 1.0) I've started out by adding all of our option parts (I'll add a list below of parts at the bottom). Literally everything we offer minus the brake rotor weights on the rear axle. The chassis itself remained stock, however I did lower the roll cage and body set How to lower your Body and Cage on the K10/F100. I painted the stock F100 body with Tamiya Green and then applied Tamiya "matte" finish on the outside. I also painted the grille Gun Metal Gray. I hacked up the interior from a Baja Rey and added a "Hulk" head as my codriver. When i say hacked, i mean hacked lol but it works and looks better than an empty cab.

The front bumper is our stock K5 bumper that i cut up quite a bit. Both ends had caps I had glued on but one end finally broke. I then installed a set of Losi Night Crawler Light set on the bumper. NightCrawler Light Set LOSB9996

For the suspension, i'm running our Aluminum shock bodies with Losi 32 Weight oil, stock shock springs and my shock mod i posted here: Shock Mod (watch the video to get a clearer understanding how it works)

Vanquish RC hooked me up with a set of their Currie RockJock axle housings with the optional Red covers. These housings looks awesome and bullet proof but the only difference i noticed was the aluminum housing is a little stickier than the stock plastic housings. It's not dramatic but you will notice it if you've been running stock axles for a while. Still though, they look amazing and the extra weight is nice too. As always fit and finish is amazing.

For wheels and tires I'm rolling on RC4WD 1.7 Fuel Racing Anza beadlock wheels with their Goodyear MT/R tires. The rubber compound is the new X2 (cubed) rubber and I've been loving them so far. I'm using CI foams but honestly can't recall which version i installed.

For electronics i'm running the Spektrum DX6R with the SR6000T receiver. So far my favorite part of this transmitter is the ability to run the Gopro app and preview and watch the video live from my Hero5 Session on the screen! It so crazy to see this from my transmitter lol.
My steering servo is the Spektrum S6280 Ultra Torque servo hooked up to a Castle Creations 2.0 BEC set to 8V if i recall correctly.
For the ESC, i'm using the Tekin FXR 35T combo set on 3S power with a 18 tooth pinion.

I had been running this setup for quite some time and recently had Trojen RC Fab build me a bolt on "Truggy" cage. Figured while i was add it i would paint up a new body and change the grille to black. The fit of the cage is great and from what i understand he'll be offering more options for the Ascender platform in the future. With the added weight of the cage and moving the electronics forward, i need to work on the suspension tune a little but overall i'm really happy with the new look of "Hulk 2.0".

Below are some pics, first being the Hulk 1.0 version and all others just random shots of 2.0 with the new cage.

Thanks,
Rich

Hulk 1.0

Hulk 2.0

Vaterra Option Parts list I used:
VTR334017 Adjustable Coilover Shocks Alum (2)
VTR334018 Front Spindle Set, Alum
VTR334019 Front Carrier Set, Alum
VTR334020 Rear Hub Carrier, Alum
VTR334021 Brake Caliper/Rotor Weight, Brass
VTR334022 One Piece Lower Link, Alum 66mm (2)
VTR334023 One Piece Lower lInk, Alum, 78mm (2)

Last edited by Rich Trujillo; 04-10-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Rich Trujillo's "Hulk" F100 Ascender Build

It’s a mean lookin rig Rich, thanks for posting it up. Troy certainly has a recognizable style to his truggy cages. I recently got one from him for a non-Ascender build, but the resemblance to yours is distinct.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Rich, that cage is really nice

When you have some free time you should get some more YouTube vids made with the HULK 2.0
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I’m guessing with your GoPro app on the transmitter we will be treated to a few more cool vids in the future?

The Hulk V1 was cool, I like V2 as well. Is it much heavier than the plastic rear cage?
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, appreciate the in depth setup as to what you've done to it! Been wondering what to glue the end pieces back on to the stock bumper with when I trim it. After looking at yours, it seems rubberized CA to glue and then reinforce inside with some ShoeGoo or E6000.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Looks great, appreciate the in depth setup as to what you've done to it! Been wondering what to glue the end pieces back on to the stock bumper with when I trim it. After looking at yours, it seems rubberized CA to glue and then reinforce inside with some ShoeGoo or E6000.
Actually i just used Losi Tire glue and lots of kicker LOL
Old 04-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
I’m guessing with your GoPro app on the transmitter we will be treated to a few more cool vids in the future?

The Hulk V1 was cool, I like V2 as well. Is it much heavier than the plastic rear cage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
Rich, that cage is really nice

When you have some free time you should get some more YouTube vids made with the HULK 2.0

Thanks guys, ya it's been a little busy around here and at home and haven't had time to get out and shoot but i plan to do some very soon.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Rich, how would you rate those awesome looking scale tires compared to some of the other offerings on the market that YOU HAVE USED. I was careful in the wording of my question as not to start a tire debate.

Thank you. Truck looks great
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Very nice truck rich. I like the green, but I would lose that if it rolled into the bushes around my way. Its why I paint my trucks orange lol.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Rich, how would you rate those awesome looking scale tires compared to some of the other offerings on the market that YOU HAVE USED. I was careful in the wording of my question as not to start a tire debate.

Thank you. Truck looks great
I'm really happy with them. Once they are "scrubbed" in the performance really improves. I found the using a Firmer CI inner foam with a soft outer and that really made a big difference. In the rear tires i still like a "stock" type foam.

For being scale, the really perform well.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I found that "scrubbing" to be true with the stock vaterra swampers as well.. I've watched Nates tires pull off some pretty incredible pulls with little to no loss of traction .
I'll be sure to check yours out at the "by the fire" event.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Have you had any time to run the Hulk some more Rich?
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
Have you had any time to run the Hulk some more Rich?
I have not, I've been so busy with work that I get home and don't want to play with my r/c cars after work...its one of those things, I LOVE what it do but at the end of the day its still a job and i need a break from it when i get home. Hoping to get out soon again and get some play time in.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

i hear that. that's why i didn't pursue a career as a mechanic.
but with that said, i hate coming home and hearing about computer problems.

Happy Holidays Rich!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Rich Trujillo's "Hulk" F100 Ascender Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Rhino" 1/9 Nissan Patrol 4x4 Y60 1997 build with Vaterra Ascender K5 clarketian 1.9 Scale Rigs 25 03-15-2016 05:36 AM
Rich Trujillo's Ascender Build/Builds Rich Trujillo Vaterra Ascender 20 07-14-2015 12:32 PM
nor cal rock bouncer "THE HULK" minicrawlerguy530 2.2 Scale Rigs 26 05-14-2014 10:17 PM
Rich Trujillo's Comp Crawler Build...sorta Rich Trujillo Team Losi Comp Crawler 70 09-05-2010 04:29 PM