Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Drag Brake Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Drag Brake Question

Are you having a hard time getting enough drag brake?
I am I'm running a Redline with an RS and I get some braking but not as much as Im used to from a crawler. I have followed the instructions with the RS to set the brakes as powerful as they can but yet my car still rolls on the rocks. It brakes pretty well on the dirt but definetly not enough for rock crawling.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I reprogrammed mine to the crawler mode. The stock lockout mode was pissing me off. I like the crawler mode control better, but noticed less brake. I was wondering the same thing.

Maybe put heavier grease in your tranny and diffs?

New ESC?
Sethmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Drag Brake Question

definitly a new esc im running the brxl wp and my brake is at 30% and its more then enough brake and more then 50% seems to really screw with jumping and a clean landing
Pegasix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've thought about this and in a perfect world we could have an ESC that would switch it's settings when you change gear, full drag brake in low gear and zero drag brake in high. Somehow I don't think we'll see anything like that soon.
I am running a redline /Hobbywing combo and have to agree that the drag brake is nowhere near the power of a brushed Holmes setup . I have it as a compromise between crawling and trail running, not ending up on its head when you let go of the throttle from full speed and a very slow roll on inclines.
If you want a brushless system with a ton of brake you might be better off going for a MMP and a Tekin 4 pole, they lock up hard even in my Wraith that weighs a ton.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the insight I had a feeling that was the case.
I'm used to having a BRXL in Holmes hand winds also.
I'll probably stick with it for now because I love the way the car drives and I have a Berg and an SCX 10 which are set up with great drag brakes for crawling.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm using an Mtronics crawler esc (UK brand) with a cr tuned 35t motor and it holds the car 100% in the steepest descents.

I won't be rock racing as I race nitro off road and this doesn't compare so don't really see the point in my case.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You could bump up the rotor size in your Redline motor, but low end startup will suffer. You could also gear down the vehicle. A 4 pole would solve it too, but parts breakage is more likely. Its a fine line between drag brake and high speed, because when the drag is turned up the vehicle gets upset easily when you get off throttle!

I like the idea of a "drag" button. I'll see if we have an additional input on the IC, if so it sounds like a very good addition.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I like the idea of a "drag" button. I'll see if we have an additional input on the IC, if so it sounds like a very good addition.
I was just thinking yesterday that if anyone could pull this off it's you. I was even going to ask you if it's possible.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the response John!!
A drag button would be great.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You could bump up the rotor size in your Redline motor, but low end startup will suffer. You could also gear down the vehicle. A 4 pole would solve it too, but parts breakage is more likely. Its a fine line between drag brake and high speed, because when the drag is turned up the vehicle gets upset easily when you get off throttle!

Would it be possible to create a mode that will make the amount of drag proportional or reverse proportional(?) to throttle input? So basically the drag brake follows the throttle... higher drag brake percentage with a lower percentage throttle input and vice versa. So letting off of full throttle won't endo or break parts after some hooning

Castle said there isn't enough interest in a mode like this to implement...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Drag Brake Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2X FXR drag brake question salty Axial XR10 4 06-20-2011 02:06 PM
Stock Drag Brake question The Jackalope Redcat Crawlers 7 04-11-2011 07:45 PM
Drag Brake Question alexchen86 Electronics 5 08-30-2010 04:59 PM
Throttle / Drag Brake / Brake Question phatchantz Newbie General 5 05-19-2008 11:57 AM