Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Vaterra bash or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #1

Default Vaterra bash or not

Hi guys. Interested in a scale twin hammer style crawler I stumbled easily onto the Vaterra KOH 1.9. Very cool rig but but but after several days of video reviews I realized that aside from a cool tranny and great "top side" scale looks this rig is a bit of a basher. I'm more a scale guy (no offense bashers) but the bottom of Vaterra is like a short course truck/exo terra. Were it more scale all around I'd be hooked. I'm sure Axail, the official rc rig of King of Hammers is just around the corner. Wish I could weld and build my own rig but that's not happening. In videos I notice the Vaterra relies on its lurching and bouncing off its belly pan to scale rocks . . . not so scale but very cool. Guess I'll just wait to see if Axial has an answer. Not looking for a battle here just would enjoy your opinions. Hit me.
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Vaterra bash or not

to me it looks like a pretty scale KOH style truck with the exception of the lay down shocks.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #3

From the bottom?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddigger View Post
From the bottom?
If your looking at the bottom that much, you are either catching lots of air or need to keep the rubber side down
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I find the the TH is a good looking rig. Now scale performance side out of the box it needs help. I find the rig to be a "jack-of-all-trades", good at alot, master of none. My roots are in comping but it died in my local area, so I have recently moved over to scalers. I have found that I have done alot with this rig, ran on my local indoor dirt track (peeps love watching it there), bashing crawling to drifting. Yes I put my drift tires on it from my Sakura out of bordom one night... Now I do believe with some tuning this can be better scaler/crawler, but you will give up on some of the high speed features... To me, this is a fun rig and one of my favorites that I have bought in a while!
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

This rig really shows promise as all around rig, you can set it up either way or a mix. It does need some tuning to be a better crawler and that will come with some aftermarket upgrades like front shocks.

Atleast someone tried to bring something that was truly RTR and a little different than what we have seen come out. I wouldn't doubt Axial is far behind or hasn't already been toying with the idea since they have been involved with KOH.
CuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

CuriousGeorge: dittos.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

So far I have had mine out on a couple trail runs and I think it is pretty awesome!! As a hard core crawler it could use some help, but just to run trails so far mine is doing pretty well!!
Neverdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I am a basher, and suck cojones on crawling. The scale-looks are what made me buy it though. Nothing beats the sight of (fake) welded aluminium box swing-arms imho. True cages are also a plus. I really, truly detest the glut of half-coke-bottles that pose as "scale bodies" Comp rigs really make my stomach churn.

The Yokomo Hound-Dog, or whatever the name of that monstrosity was, ended the "scale" era of off-road racing. Competition machines became ugly halfshells on something that didn't even remotely looked like the true 1:1 buggies.

So, machines like the Twin Hammers, or Wraith, for that matter, warm the cockles of me heart...

But hey, I am an old guy. Been in RC for 30 years now, and started in a time when driver-figures were mandatory in competitions, so, I might be biased.

Add to that the current upsurge in FIS rigs in f.i. The king of hammers. Looking at those rigs, the TH is about as scale as it gets.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #10

jay-em. How old can you be. I wondered if there were any ssc guys out there. The TH is pretty cool. As you can see we all have our fettishes. I was going to buy the RC4wd KOH but found very little support from the company pre-sale and few videos. After much searching found that some complained that the CG was too high to rock crawl well. Stumbled on the Vaterra and was smitten. But I'm more of the scale crawler type. Sadly I live in Minesotta where all the rocks were moved by glaciers somewhere or the farmers put them in the center of their fields. I crawl on a city plot where they dump huge piles of assfault. I'll move one day to a state that has "undulations." If axial doesn't give birth to their version of KOH then I'll give the Vaterra another look.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #11

And . . .. Jay-em. I've only been crawling for two years. What's a fis? Sorry bout that.

Axial scorpion, ridgecrest, slash 4x4 and rc helis galore
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
And . . .. Jay-em. I've only been crawling for two years. What's a fis? Sorry bout that.
He means IFS - independent front suspension.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

^that

A "FIS" is a blatant typo on my part

And I am nearing the "big 5 o" *shiver*
I raced for a bit in the mid-80's, got sick of the "money beats all" and "who cares if it looks like @$$, it's fast " -mentality that took over.

Got into Tamiya touring car cup, made 11th (only first in the B pool, thnx to a dumped pack. that'll teach me to trust my friend's "it's fully charged" ) on the TC mod nationals somewhere late 80's, early 90's, and called it a day when tourers became afflicted with the same "money beats all, don't care if it looks realistic" -sickness that made me leave buggy racing.

I am not competition-minded enough to enjoy racing.

I get more satisfaction from tweaking and scale-building. Thusly my elation at the current crop of scalers. Add to that the amount of disposable income due to a nicely running career in ICT.

So, yeah, I'm having a ball.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 03-10-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #14

Quote:
jay-em. How old can you be. I wondered if there were any ssc guys out there. The TH is pretty cool. As you can see we all have our fettishes. I was going to buy the RC4wd KOH but found very little support from the company pre-sale and few videos. After much searching found that some complained that the CG was too high to rock crawl well. Stumbled on the Vaterra and was smitten. But I'm more of the scale crawler type. Sadly I live in Minesotta where all the rocks were moved by glaciers somewhere or the farmers put them in the center of their fields. I crawl on a city plot where they dump huge piles of assfault. I'll move one day to a state that has "undulations." If axial doesn't give birth to their version of KOH then I'll give the Vaterra another look.
Golddigger, nice to meet a fellow Minnesoootan. I grew up a few miles east of you on Hwy 7. I understand what you mean about the rocks being moved to the middle of the field. In my youth that was me riding the wagon picking them up!
youthmanrcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #15

I'm enjoying my TH. I am a returning hobbyist from the 80's myself. I found the TH to be a good fit for me to get back into the hobby. I think there will be good support for the buggy since it's gotten a pretty good start so far. There are peeps making stuff for it now, so I'm looking forward to the aftermarket picking up speed. I'm looking to turn mine into a madmax meets borderlands post apocalypse style buggy.

Hell I say buy one just to have more R/C's!
automated is offline   Reply With Quote

Vaterra bash or not - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra selling Wraiths... Jason Gross Chit Chat 16 02-25-2013 04:33 PM
For a vaterra SCALER14 Tires and Wheels 11 02-20-2013 03:41 PM
Vaterra Support offroadace Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 02-19-2013 12:48 PM