Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Stock Shock Replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Stock Shock Replacement

what would be a better shock to replace the stock rear shocks with. I hill climb, and bash with some crawling in between. What would be a better shock to replace the rears with? I read that the stock shocks are 114mm long. Also... should I just rebuild the stock ones and add some better oil? I would love to finds something that is compatable to what the stock shocks are.. and find them with Orange caps
ntruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Stock Shock Replacement

The stock shocks leaked like mad... so I replaced them with a pair of gmade XD piggybacks in 103mm. I may have lost some travel, but they feel and drive very well.

I think the stock shocks would be great if they had a diaphragm up top and some better seals in the bottom.

Last edited by MachtSchnell; 04-17-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: grammar
MachtSchnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I replaced mine with some stock XR10 shocks i had laying around with wraith springs and 35wt. Corners better, jumps flat and far, less torquetwist, etcc... And still has enough travel to rub the finish off the screws holding on the number plates.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachtSchnell View Post
The stock shocks leaked like mad... so I replaced them with a pair of gmade XD piggybacks in 103mm. I may have lost some travel, but they feel and drive very well.

I think the stock shocks would be great if they had a diaphragm up top and some better seals in the bottom.
Since the stock shocks are 114mm and the gmade XD piggybacks are 103mm and will lose 11mm in travel (which is ok I guess), does that effect the ride height in the rear?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukescb7 View Post
I replaced mine with some stock XR10 shocks i had laying around with wraith springs and 35wt. Corners better, jumps flat and far, less torquetwist, etcc... And still has enough travel to rub the finish off the screws holding on the number plates.
Some day I'll get to where your at with stuff sitting around from old rigs.. if the wife doesn't put her foot down first.. LOL. I'm really enjoying the hobby and learning how to work on my Hammer and enjoy watching what it can do.

At this point I'm looking for something to replace them with that's right out of the box and will give a little bit of more control for the rear end and still have a nice look and functional. I'll do some more reseach and see what I can learn. Thanks for the tip on how you have your shocks set up and how it works for you.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

A set of stock wraith shocks would work good for you, Or maybe a set of 4" big bores. My stock shocks were fuine, exceopt the spring coller broke. And i didnt like the green caps.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Just ordered the Gmade XD Piggybacks in 103mm which will be here tomorrow.. can't wait.. plus I get to learn how shocks are put together. Thank everyone for your input... ya'll have been very helpful
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

At first the shocks look like they will be hard to put together, but the second (third and fourth) are a breeze.
There's a video on how to bleed/fill them it's very helpful and probably the hardest part of assembly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fptsf...layer_embedded
MachtSchnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Got home friday and UPS left a package for me. SHOCKS!!!

I got them put together (not hard at all) and installed on the hammer. They fit and look great in the rear. First thing I noticed is the ride height... the stock shocks had little to no oil in them. This would explain why the hammer would lift the right front tire from a dead stop to wide open. Front tire lift.. ass end would come around and spin out of control. With the Gmade Piggybacks installed I no longer have the issue. All the power stays on the ground. Little to no tire lift and the ass end does not kick out as much. I can also climb a lot better with this stock setup without the front diff locker in. Still not sure I want to go that route yet.

• Pros:
    • More power to the ground
    • No tire lift on full power from a dead stop
    • Less rear sawy on cornering on a hard surface or loose gravel
    • Better control at high speed
  • Cons:
    • Shock body or cap does not come in Competition Orange
Thanks everyone who replied to my question about shocks.
Attached Images

Last edited by ntruder; 04-30-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Hah!

The g-mades are becoming quite popular. A Funny development, especially after all kinds of people "in the know" (note the quotation marks) dismissed their ingenious overflow/spring-actuated reservoirs, without ever having tried them.

I use them too, and the TWH, indeed, became far more..let's say "civilized" under power.

I even used them -as an experiment- on an Apache C1 with 90wt shock oil and 1/8 scale heavy springs. Worked like a charm. That, frankly, surprised me.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

way cool...

I am also thinking about replacing the front stock shocks as well.. although they are not leaking like the rears did. Not sure if the smaller sized piggyback will work in that small space up front.

Stock Shock Replacement - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a shock replacement or my unusual project..... ToTheMAXXcrawler General Crawlers 8 09-05-2012 08:38 PM
**New 120mm Shock Ax-10 Replacement** run2jeepn Chassis and Suspension 12 08-04-2008 06:08 PM
Best suggestion for a replacement shock jeepfreek Tamiya Clod Buster 8 04-30-2008 05:53 PM
Replacement Shock for Stock beaglegod Tamiya TLT Crawlers 7 11-22-2006 01:31 AM
Shock Replacement quickster47 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 9 05-20-2005 10:50 AM