Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: St.IRIE can you make axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default St.IRIE can you make axles?

Seems like you are the man who can do it I am looking for axles for the rear diff to make it an open diff. Can you make it?

Sorry meant SR.IRIE in the thread title.
turboed13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: St.IRIE can you make axles?

Short answer yes

Funny you should ask it is on my list of things to come.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I can't wait for this. It is a killer mod. Honestly I prefer my rear diff open and looser than the front. I personally think it crawls so much cleaner.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm in for giving this a try. And I will be ordering 1,000,000 diff oil.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
I can't wait for this. It is a killer mod. Honestly I prefer my rear diff open and looser than the front. I personally think it crawls so much cleaner.
He said rear diff open and looser With the right line a limited slip will crawl just as well as a locker no doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
I'm in for giving this a try. And I will be ordering 1,000,000 diff oil.
I tried the 1,000,000 diff oil in the front and I could tell no deference from a locker.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

A 1,000,000 weight diff oil?! You do realize that there's ways around that? By making a custom locker that actually locks the front diffs instead of using ridiculous diff oil's.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
A 1,000,000 weight diff oil?! You do realize that there's ways around that? By making a custom locker that actually locks the front diffs instead of using ridiculous diff oil's.
We have a full locker option already but some want a bit of slip for various reasons. I've tried the 1M and I agree with Irie so I want down to 500K.
But be prepared, this stuff is a miserable mess to work with - Ha!
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #8

very interested. Saw someone machine holes for the cross pins on the stock axles. It will help with the durability of the drive train too.
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:23 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'm pretty sure the diff housings by HR are universal, which means that the front open diff components should fit the inside of the rear housing giving an open rear diff. Correct me if I'm wrong. But it makes sense....

As for having thick oil in open diffs, it makes sense if you bind a lot, but so does driving smarter and better
Stets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stets View Post
I'm pretty sure the diff housings by HR are universal, which means that the front open diff components should fit the inside of the rear housing giving an open rear diff. Correct me if I'm wrong. But it makes sense....

As for having thick oil in open diffs, it makes sense if you bind a lot, but so does driving smarter and better
The front and rear carrier's are the same and can be interchanged. The difference is the rear axle has a square drive end on it and the side gears for the front have a round hole with a cross pin and a corresponding slot the cross pin fits into. So there is no bolt together off the shelf way of doing it, there needs to be machining done.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I'm excited that you are taking this on. I would pre order if made it go faster. But I know this all hobby stuff and not a life priority. So I'll wait patiently. I keep braking my axles when I do the mod myself. Depending on price I think I'll need 3 sets.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm excited that you are taking this on. I would pre order if made it go faster. But I know this all hobby stuff and not a life priority. So I'll wait patiently. I keep braking my axles when I do the mod myself. Depending on price I think I'll need 3 sets.
What keeps breaking on yours could you post a pic of the braekage.

I have already talked to a few places about having a new axle made for this and I am having some problems. Either they want way to much money to make them or they just do not want to do it. I was thinking of getting new vaterra axles and doing the machining work myself. If there just going to break though, it may not be worth doing with stock axles.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I think people are just slotting them because noone can drill a hole through the hardened steel. Slotting them weakens them too much and they break.
turboed13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Turboed is correct. I've been slotting mine with a dremel cause I can't drill through it. One guy on here did drill it and I don't think he has had any problems.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Turboed is correct. I've been slotting mine with a dremel cause I can't drill through it. One guy on here did drill it and I don't think he has had any problems.
Someone also stated to use oil in order to keep the temps down. It keeps the heat treatment in tact.

I don't see why Vaterra just didn't have a convertible system for the rear axles using the same front locker instead of the square type hole.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Alright that makes since, I know I can drill them one way another. The way it looks I will be scratching the idea of building a whole new axle and just machining the factory ones then.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I theory it is really simple. I just don't have good enough tools to drill the one hole.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Irie View Post
Alright that makes since, I know I can drill them one way another. The way it looks I will be scratching the idea of building a whole new axle and just machining the factory ones then.
Not sure if you saw this, but it seems there is little machining involved to get this going

scroll down to middle
my twin hammers , starting an upgrade

I guess the hardest is to determine the location of the pin. Maybe you can use the front outdrive as a template since they use the same diff housing F/R.

Last edited by inpuressa; 07-22-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I had sent biggamehunter pictures of what I had measured out. I think what may have happened is that he did not get the pin close enough to the o-ring. That is why he had to clearance out the side gears. When I have done this mod with the slot method I have to cut almost to were the shaft is round and not the square shank anymore. But I never had to clearance the side gears.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Irie View Post
I tried the 1,000,000 diff oil in the front and I could tell no deference from a locker.
I wanted to re-post on the 1,000,000 diff oil.
I was wrong; apparently there are differences between brands I would of thought CST was CST. I tried Tamiya 1,000,000 diff oil and it did perform pretty much like a locker and I was unhappy with it. A friend uses Gravity RC 1,000,000 diff oil in his Offna buggy and he said it worked for him so I got some to try. If nothing else I was going to mix 500k and 1,000,000 to get what I wanted. Well no mixing needed I am running straight 1,000,000 Gravity RC diff oil and it works great, much better for what I want than 500k.

St.IRIE can you make axles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IRIE Products Sr.Irie Vaterra Twin Hammers 556 02-26-2021 08:11 PM
can u make LCC axles pass through axles? bizzle Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 03-07-2011 12:46 AM