Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: my twin hammers , starting an upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: my twin hammers , starting an upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets70 View Post
Totally forgot you did those hubs before. That 50mm must make it handle fairly flat.
ye its realy planted now with the wide footprint , also because the axle is longer the rise height of the tyres in a full twist is increased by about an inch , so more travel at the tyre , also the hammers rear tyres rub the numberplates on the side of the cage in full twist causing binding , the wider axles have eliminated that so it can run free in full twist , thanks for your input guys it means a lot
shaun
biggamehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
hahahaha thanks for your input 32won , it means a lot , i will defo post you some vids soon , i just want to unlock the diff before i do , i just measured it and its 11.5" inch overall and 9.8" axles
no clue how I screwed those measurements up haha

I have no idea about tires, I'm looking to get a new set as well, I really don't feel like buying new wheels too so whatever I get needs to fit the stock rims
three2won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by three2won View Post
no clue how I screwed those measurements up haha

I have no idea about tires, I'm looking to get a new set as well, I really don't feel like buying new wheels too so whatever I get needs to fit the stock rims
Tires just need to be a 1.9" beadlock. A word of warning though: the stock Vaterra rims don't like to hold a bead once the factory mounting job is undone. I bought a set of Axial 1.9 beadlocks, but if you can get the stockers to work, go for it!
Pockets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Tires just need to be a 1.9" beadlock. A word of warning though: the stock Vaterra rims don't like to hold a bead once the factory mounting job is undone. I bought a set of Axial 1.9 beadlocks, but if you can get the stockers to work, go for it!
good shout pockets , i think the groove on the stock rims is a lot wider than the lip on standard tyres ? the vaterra race claws seem to be rim specific and the rims tyre specific due to the beadlock groove size looking at them compared to other rims n tyres
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
good shout pockets , i think the groove on the stock rims is a lot wider than the lip on standard tyres ? the vaterra race claws seem to be rim specific and the rims tyre specific due to the beadlock groove size looking at them compared to other rims n tyres
That's my thought as well. The Axial rims are a direct fit and have no clearance issues. I did however strip one of the beadlock holes a little. Superglue to the rescue!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

my allu diff case a mate made it for me in his machine shop

fitted all the ultra hard/ titan hex and cvd pins from gunnar today too , big thanks gunnar top job

Last edited by biggamehunter; 01-17-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Fantastic job Shaun. I know you've piled a load of money into this but you have a great all rounder there. Looks fab and bet it goes well on most wet n muddy uk bashing zones ;)
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Diff cover.... SIIIIICK! Do you have a link for Gunnar's pins???
Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymon View Post
Fantastic job Shaun. I know you've piled a load of money into this but you have a great all rounder there. Looks fab and bet it goes well on most wet n muddy uk bashing zones ;)
heeeeeeeyyyyyy mate nice to read you again , i cant log in on tc from my phone and im concentrating all my efforts on this hammers , it goes like stink now david with the team orion marc reinhard worlds edition 12x2 brushed on a 4200 2s shorty , it loves the mud , im in the process of making a rear unlocked diff with a million# oil in as theres not one available for it so im building a front one in hows the black special and the super clods coming along? cheers shaun
Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Diff cover.... SIIIIICK! Do you have a link for Gunnar's pins???
thanks greatly mate , heres gunnars link
Gunnar CVD and Axle Pins

Last edited by biggamehunter; 01-17-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #91
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
heeeeeeeyyyyyy mate nice to read you again , i cant log in on tc from my phone and im concentrating all my efforts on this hammers , it goes like stink now david with the team orion marc reinhard worlds edition 12x2 brushed on a 4200 2s shorty , it loves the mud , im in the process of making a rear unlocked diff with a million# oil in as theres not one available for it so im building a front one in hows the black special and the super clods coming along? cheers shaun
Still compiling parts for the ABS

CPE clod is not much further on. Other one will be pretty much stock but now looking like 30% original, 60% new and a few non T parts . Got carried away as usual !

Arranging a deal on a TRF801XT now !

Must get my R1 up n running and meet you one Sunday ;)
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:16 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymon View Post

Must get my R1 up n running and meet you one Sunday ;)
that is a definate must do mate !! cheers , shaun
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

right guys , did the semi locker rear diff conversion today , holes were tough to hit , as everything has to be dead sraight and level or the pins through the axle ends wont sit straight when the side gears go on , and the diff wont work at all , also had to face off the humps on the side gears and trim the axle ends to prevent the internal cross axles fouling on them i must say filled with 500k oil its incredible !!! now the truck realy comes alive i will never go back to a locker , but just by removing the internal gears and pins the locker simply fits back in , as per front diff this semi locker conversion is the answer !!! here you go guys
the parts

the driller killer

pins through the axles , as you can see theres plenty left on either side of the pins , no less than a wheel hex pin realy

gears fitted to axles and axle ends taken back flush

gears with the humps faced off for clearence of the cross axles , the small gears do not contact with this machined area of the large side gears

fitted into the diff cup

diff and axles built and completed filled with 500k oil as i use this in the front , after trying it its perfect for a semi locker

Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #94
Rock Crawler

I'm so excited to see you did the open diff conversion? How is it holding up? How does it drive?
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

it drives amazing !! realy opens up a whole new rig flat out full speed turns from left straight into right without lifting and tipping ! handles like a racing buggy now but the 500k still keeps it stiff enough to crawl real clean lines without noticing the diff is even unlocked !! it is the answer imho
Old 01-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

Fantastic Work! It never ceases to amaze me how some people will go through such great lengths to take an rc vehicle and make it completely different than what it was intended to be. Some of us just are not satisfied with a stock truck!

I can't leave well enough alone either, but without real skills, proper tools, or a hint of knowledge, I just change the aesthetics, lol.

You stand alone in this modification, sir!
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Very nicely done fella - If I had the tools I'd try that. Have you got any footage of the new setup we can see?
tachikoma1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
Fantastic Work! It never ceases to amaze me how some people will go through such great lengths to take an rc vehicle and make it completely different than what it was intended to be. Some of us just are not satisfied with a stock truck!

I can't leave well enough alone either, but without real skills, proper tools, or a hint of knowledge, I just change the aesthetics, lol.

You stand alone in this modification, sir!
thanks immensely for your input and kind words , it means a lot to me , thanks greatly , shaun
Old 01-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachikoma1373 View Post
Very nicely done fella - If I had the tools I'd try that. Have you got any footage of the new setup we can see?
thanks greatly tachi for your kind words and input , you guys realy keep me going , i cant make any videos just yet as we are in full winter floods with screaming rain and i need a mate or someone to do the camera work but i will sort it out as soon as i can, a shiney chrome plated steel tube cage is next cheers mate , shaun

Last edited by biggamehunter; 01-18-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

I like the semi locker, lots of work put in on that mister.. Good job.. Makes me a bit jealous I don't have the tools to make the job a bit easier..
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote

my twin hammers , starting an upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers Savage00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 09-19-2013 08:09 PM
Twin Hammers in Twin Cities? 89XJ Minnesota 7 05-06-2013 02:59 PM
Twin Hammers are in!!! tunnalram North Dakota 0 02-11-2013 04:08 PM