Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Twin Hammers Rear Gear Ratio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Twin Hammers Rear Gear Ratio

Ok so I have my Twin hammers for a year now and it has been a money pit for me. I have changed just about every thing I could to make this buggy fast and durable. Now I have broke the rear diff gears or something like that in the rear axle housing.
So My question is has any body tried to put an Axial rear locker and gear set in the housing of the twin hammers? Or maybe some knows the ratio of the gears and I will just swap the rear axle out with something fro Vanquish or RC4WD.

Thanks for the help
David
dracing10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Twin Hammers Rear Gear Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracing10 View Post
Ok so I have my Twin hammers for a year now and it has been a money pit for me. I have changed just about every thing I could to make this buggy fast and durable. Now I have broke the rear diff gears or something like that in the rear axle housing.
So My question is has any body tried to put an Axial rear locker and gear set in the housing of the twin hammers? Or maybe some knows the ratio of the gears and I will just swap the rear axle out with something fro Vanquish or RC4WD.

Thanks for the help
David
Are you sure you didn't strip one of the plastic drive nuts on the wheel? I have done that, and it's a cheap and easy fix. Just get metal clamping drive nuts off of eBay.

As for speed, go brushless, get a motor above 3500 KV, and some say at or below 4600 KV, and try to go with a 4 pole. The gear accordingly, and be sure to put on rear sway bars. You can order a 4 pole 4350 KV motor that will work perfectly for like 30 bucks. I know because I have one just sitting around, maybe I will install it at some point.

If you are already running brushless, turn the punch down as it really doesn't help anything with this vehicle except to break stuff. My TH gets run about 8 times a week, as it is in various states of disassembly, although I think I am in the home stretch and hope to install the remaining lights tonight and button everything up.

You can also get steel gear sets for the transmission. The most obvious answer would be to take it easier on the throttle and loosen the slipper a touch. I hope some of that helps!

PS I am running the Castle 3800 KV with a 26t pinion and 78t spur on 3S. Other than drive nuts crapping out, I have had no problems at all...
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Twin Hammers Rear Gear Ratio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
exo with solid rear or twin hammers? smokinloon South Carolina 1 01-08-2014 05:18 AM
Vaterra Twin Hammers 78T Spur Gear eggymusstaka Vaterra Twin Hammers 17 04-06-2013 07:35 PM
Gear Head RC Twin Hammers Shift Servo Plate Gear Head RC Chassis and Suspension 3 02-25-2013 03:14 PM
Gear Head Twin Hammers Standard Servo Shift Mount RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-20-2013 06:41 PM