Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Problem with Irie bellcrank kit with GCM Tower plate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

Default Problem with Irie bellcrank kit with GCM Tower plate

This conversion is becoming a little long winded..

Basically, with the Irie steering kit fitted to the GCM tower plate (correctly I hope) & using the recommended alloy Losi (1557) servo horn I'm finding thre isn't enough room for the stock steering linkage to attach to the servo horn without the linkage fouling the underside of the tower plate, see pics.

In the first pic you can see how close the steering arm is to the machined step on the underside of the plate. In the second pic, although I don't yet have the ball stud on the horn fitted you can get an idea that if I were to attach the steering arm it'll jam up.

I thought if I post pics someone may be able to tell me I've assembled something incorrectly.

Secondly, I've had to wait for the Losi servo horn to arrive from the US, I now find the kit ballstud (the short one, as recommended in the GCM Irie install vid) won't screw in to it, from either side of the horn. A friend who drives a TLR 22 2.0 thinks the alloy version has a 2.5mm thread whereas the TH kit ballstud is 3mm ??

It's all a bit of a headache if I'm honest as I don't have 2.5mm ballstuds, & the steering doesn't fit

Appreciate any input.
DanDare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Problem with Irie bellcrank kit with GCM Tower plate

Try using a rod end like the others in the steering (the ones that pushed the cantilevers will work) and not the ball end type they will sit lower on the steering arm.

The only thing I can think of is the savox servo is thicker and the centerline of the servo horn comes out higher. I personally have only used with the stock servo and Hitec servos.
Maybe someone out there knows if they are thicker?

Last edited by Sr.Irie; 03-11-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I had the same problem, the linkage hit the bottom of the plate. So i put the ball facing down on the
Bellcrank side. This way works but it seems to rub alittle on the front drive shaft at full turning, took me alot
Of adjusting, but works flawless now. Just need to get better servo, i keep stripping out gears.
sherman918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:38 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

the gcm video isnt right about the servo horn and small ball stud fitting that servo horn, lrie did state that in his steering thread (i think it was that one) losi dont use metric screws they use imperial 4-40 which is a fraction smaller than 3mm.
im using a losi comp crawler rod end which i had to trim a little off the top and i also filed a very shallow groove in the lrie steering plate (losa 6045) and screw (losa 6256) with nut (losa 6306) i all ready had the screws and nut from my comp crawler if you want to use 3mm screws with that horn you will have to drill it.

also make sure your servo is as low as it can be mounted just i can see your servo horn ears are above the servo posts its needs to be touching the floor pan.

Last edited by perfictsib; 03-12-2015 at 04:41 AM. Reason: missing paragrath
perfictsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Irie View Post
Try using a rod end like the others in the steering (the ones that pushed the cantilevers will work) and not the ball end type they will sit lower on the steering arm.

The only thing I can think of is the savox servo is thicker and the centerline of the servo horn comes out higher. I personally have only used with the stock servo and Hitec servos.
Maybe someone out there knows if they are thicker?
Success ! Firstly I fitted one of the cantilever rod ends to the bell crank end of the steering linkage, this alone appeared to fix the clearance issue.
I then looked at the servo horn end, I may well use the same (cantilever) rod end here also, drill the threaded hole in the Losi alloy horn to 3mm, & using a button head screw attach the arm & use a nyloc nut to secure it as, despite the warning on the install vid of there being no room between the bell crank arm & servo horn there is about 4mm clearance, enough for a nut as you can kinda see in the 2nd pic.

Thanks fella
DanDare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

This is exactly how I designed it to work with the unused cantilever pushrods when you go to my upright shock/steering kit. I was really starting to wonder if I screwed something up on your kit.

I know I wrote this out somewhere on how to do the install. But to be quite honest I looked for it and I can not find it for the life of me. I think it is time I did a new step bye step on this, it is pretty bad I can not find it.

Glad to here it all worked out
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote

Problem with Irie bellcrank kit with GCM Tower plate - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Irie Products Twin Hammer ball bearing steering & upright shock tower Sr.Irie Chassis and Suspension 48 03-05-2018 11:14 AM
Gcm front plate / BM bellcrank fitment question sickcivic95 Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 10-30-2014 08:57 PM
Shocks with GCM shock tower? iFrog Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 07-02-2014 06:49 AM
Shock length for GCM tower ? madkawi650 Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 09-17-2013 11:07 AM