Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: front CVD the eternal struggle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #1

Default front CVD the eternal struggle

again i broke another cvd from the front by hooning on tarmac... are there some upgrades like HD ones? or some cvd from another rig that fit? i saw someone made custom ones from a slash but they are to complicated for me.

someone told me that Sr Irie sells some are they good?

thanks for the help in advance
xadowbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2016, 05:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: front CVD the eternal struggle

I consider myself to be hard on equipment and I only occasionally break a CVD. What are you running for power? Open front diff or locked? If you do a lot of high-speed handling you may want the open diff.

Do you ever disassemble/clean/relube them, or just install and run till they break? I've found that a drop of 3-in-1 oil plopped into each end goes a long way towards keeping them smooth.

Is your front shock setup allowing too much droop or uptravel? Over-angling them is the best way to break them.

The St. Erie CVD's are stock units that are hardened and have better pins installed. They lasted about twice as long as the normal units for me.

If your just sheering the outer pins you can sometimes get lucky if you notice right away and just install a new pin made from a drill bit. If you break the pin and continue running it will bugger up the barrel and slot and it'll never be smooth again.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

X2 and again for Sr.Irie cvds.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I'm attempting to put traxxas xo shafts in the front with associated b4.4 rear arms. I saw it on face book twin hammers show and shine section with Shawn smith who had one he got that was converted when he got it. I think the diff uses hpi rs4/ wheely King spider gears on twin hammers diff shafts. The problems Ive had are the amount of material removed from the arms to fit the twin sterring knuckles, the diff spider gears and o rings for out put shafts, and how to retain the pin from the xo shafts to the twin hammers drive stub. The stock pin will fit but I bel the slack with brushless power will lead to broken pins. the arms may be ok for awhile and I like the design and look on the hammers but I feel it weakens the structure significantly. I will try to get diff gears next weak and work on the stock arms as well as b4 arms and report back.
snowman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ps I think sir iries cvds are beautiful and awesome but I hate having to limit my front travel while having so much potential in a great vehicle...but I'm getting tired of spending money and I threatened to sell her if she didn't straighten up��
Old 03-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you have the front locked and you run hard on pavement with sharp turns you are going to snap your cvd's like pretzel's..
joe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman13 View Post
I'm attempting to put traxxas xo shafts in the front with associated b4.4 rear arms. I saw it on face book twin hammers show and shine section with Shawn smith who had one he got that was converted when he got it. I think the diff uses hpi rs4/ wheely King spider gears on twin hammers diff shafts. The problems Ive had are the amount of material removed from the arms to fit the twin sterring knuckles, the diff spider gears and o rings for out put shafts, and how to retain the pin from the xo shafts to the twin hammers drive stub. The stock pin will fit but I bel the slack with brushless power will lead to broken pins. the arms may be ok for awhile and I like the design and look on the hammers but I feel it weakens the structure significantly. I will try to get diff gears next weak and work on the stock arms as well as b4 arms and report back.
I'm switching from the b4.2 rear arms to the b5m rear arms, more beef on them.
I will be starting a build next week that will show how to do it and how to do the MIP shaft upgrade.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Yes!! We will love u and rejoice in your name
Old 03-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Yes we shall rejoice in your name!! This little truck needs that s to be great

front CVD the eternal struggle - Similar Threads