Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Crawl Mode adjusting Battery cut-out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #1

Default Crawl Mode adjusting Battery cut-out?

Yesterday I did some crawling with my Hammers, and used Crawl mode on the stock ESC for the first time. I was just about to the point where in my head I was thinking, Okay, this thing has to be hitting the voltage cut-off pretty quick here... when the rig started acting funny. Reduced steering torque, low power, wouldn't shift the trans, throttle would cut in and out... This to me seemed either like a weak NiMh battery (I'm using the stock 2S lipos) or a voltage issue. I noticed the interior compartment was pretty warm though. Didn't seem like anything overheated, but I shut it down and let it cool.

Came back an hour later, and same symptoms. So I swapped in a fresh battery pack and everything worked fine.

I guess my question is, has anybody else noticed an issue with the ESC not properly "kicking off" when the voltage gets low in Crawl Mode, or is this something that you need to set up with some ESC programming if you change modes on the ESC?

(I keep wanting to say ECM... lol)

-Travis
TimeBomb572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Crawl Mode adjusting Battery cut-out?

I was having the same issue. My steering and throttle were cutting out randomly and not just when the battery was getting low. I I stalled a BEC and the problem persisted. Today I took it out and it started glitching. I removed the jumper for crawling mode and no more issues.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #3

I threw a voltmeter on the battery that came out of the rig. 6.42 volts. So it was just about at the regular cut-off, but my batteries usually measure about 6.20 right when the cutoff kicks in. And the rig had been acting up for the better part of a couple minutes, so I imagine troubles started north of 6.6V. I don't think I'm going to use crawl mode very often.

-Travis
Old 03-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I think the stock ESC just can not handle the amp draw. I had similar problems with the stock ESC and my son's truck does it also when crawling. My son's truck has also done it when we are really using it not in crawl mode. The last time was when we were at the dunes. Which is why I think it is a amp draw/thermal shut down thing.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #5

Thermal shut down could have been the deal. She got warm, but I didn't think it was enough to cause issues; my brother's Wraith gets DAMN hot before it shuts itself down haha. I'm gonna run the stock ESC until I decide to upgrade the ESC and motor together. Which probably means one of them will have to completely die.

I will say that crawl mode was very useful when it worked. I was having a lot of trouble staying in place on steep, tight runs that require good placement to keep from getting hung up. It's a pain in the regular ESC mode (and with that ****box of a steering servo and stock linkage... but that's another story with a lot more words you can't say on the radio) but in Crawl Mode I could worry more about where I planned on going and a lot less about how to keep the rig where it's at right now.

-Travis

Crawl Mode adjusting Battery cut-out? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock twin hammers esc crawl mode adrenaline0210 Electronics 4 06-18-2014 03:08 PM
battery queastion 9.6 cut down to 7.2? outcastct Electronics 2 12-21-2013 04:58 PM
Novac SMART-STOP Li-Po Battery Cut-Off Wi_Crawler Redcat Crawlers 8 02-03-2012 08:01 PM
dx6i Mode 1 vs mode 2.... syber70 Electronics 1 03-12-2009 12:41 PM