Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: rear suspension links question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 10:47 PM   #1

Default rear suspension links question?

so i just recently bought a twin hammers and im in the process of building it to my liking, ive gotten a gcm front plate and rear truss. still waiting on shipment but i wanted to get some more parts together while i wait. so im focusing on the rear links, uppers for now. id like to make some links from axial tubes or something similar. has anyone done this? my question is what length links and size ball ends did you use? part numbers if possible? thanks in advance!
farva707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: rear suspension links question?

Many have done this as well as myself with all sorts of different rods and rod ends. I always use the Hammer rod ends just so all the ends on the rig are the same, makes carrying spares easier. As for length start with the same length as the factory ones and just experiment, pinion angle can change torque twist.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:50 AM   #3

Hi guys, maybe i am slowpoke, but i noticed something.
If we look at yeti or rock rey rear lower links, they are | |, but TH lower links are like \ /
Also if we look at 1:1 rock buggy or trophy truck, their rear lower links are almost parallel.
Maybe it is a reason why TH's rear suspension work on high speed not so good? It looks more like scx10 suspension with \ / lower links.
Or it doesn't matter? What do you think guys?
Pagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagu View Post
Hi guys, maybe i am slowpoke, but i noticed something.
If we look at yeti or rock rey rear lower links, they are | |, but TH lower links are like \ /
Also if we look at 1:1 rock buggy or trophy truck, their rear lower links are almost parallel.
Maybe it is a reason why TH's rear suspension work on high speed not so good? It looks more like scx10 suspension with \ / lower links.
Or it doesn't matter? What do you think guys?
What you're noticing is the triangulation in the trailing arms. And you're absolutely right. A double triangulated setup will have a lower roll center than a setup using parallel lower links/trailing arms (assuming all else is equal). It doesn't necessarily mean the performance at speed suffers. It just means that the chassis and torque have a greater influence on what the rear suspension does. Tuning will do a lot for the roll that is experienced.

I've actually been hypothesizing over a custom build (TH based) using a chassis built around parallel, or almost parallel) lowers in the rear. With the factory tub though, it just won't happen.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #5

Thanks for answer! Glad to know for sure that my suggestion was right.
Then i dont understand why nobody made custom bild or upgrade kit with parallel lower links yet
What will be your custom bild? Scaler, prerunner or rock buggy?
Old 04-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagu View Post
Thanks for answer!

What will be your custom bild? Scaler, prerunner or rock buggy?
No problem.

I'm not sure if I'll follow through with it or not but, I would be shooting to build a 1.9 Trophy class U4 car. Not a replica or anything like that. More of a compilation of a bunch of ideas and theories.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:37 AM   #7
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
What you're noticing is the triangulation in the trailing arms. And you're absolutely right. A double triangulated setup will have a lower roll center than a setup using parallel lower links/trailing arms (assuming all else is equal). It doesn't necessarily mean the performance at speed suffers. It just means that the chassis and torque have a greater influence on what the rear suspension does. Tuning will do a lot for the roll that is experienced.
I was reading up on roll centre just recently, having dramatically shortened my scx links. I don't quite see how the lower link width or parallelism effects roll centre - ?. I understood it that more triangulation is generally better. Vaterra seem to think this too. I can see how more triangulation of the lower links will give more axle steer. I found this post helpful: Another 4 Link Thread
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I don't know anything about roll centre, but without the triangulation in the rear you would end up with a lot of lateral flex out back. The joints would need to be designed to resist it instead. Having it triangulated helps keep things simple?
SkiSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #9

Chevy Power Manuals from MJ - Pirate4x4.com Red Star Member's Photo Gallery @ http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gallery
Found something about roll center.
ChevPowerManual07 and next pages are about linked suspension. Reading and trying to understand atm
Old 04-02-2017, 11:26 PM   #10

I understand something, in few words:
Roll axis should be high. If lateral force is higher than roll axis, the vehicle will roll over.
Stock vaterra rear suspension gives very low roll axis. Rear truss upgrade rises roll axis. In theory parallel lower arms will rise it even more.

So 89redranger is completely right. If you want to understand why, just use my link

Last edited by Pagu; 04-02-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #11
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

The link didn't work btw.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Can't comment on the configuration of the links but I've been using these BoomRacing lower and upper links without problems..adds bling to the rig

zumzum5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

rear suspension links question? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Suspension Question obxbronco RC4WD Trail Finder 2 15 11-13-2015 11:47 AM
Integy Lower Rear Suspension Links BR549 Axial Yeti 8 09-18-2015 05:21 PM
vaterra twin hammers rear suspension links? gofaster427 Axial SCX-10 1 07-13-2014 12:06 PM
suspension links question idaho Axial SCX-10 6 09-28-2013 08:28 PM
Uneven suspension links question..... ToTheMAXXcrawler General Crawlers 3 01-08-2010 10:06 AM