Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: How can I get a tighter steering angle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How can I get a tighter steering angle?

I have the IRIE bell rank steering and GCM tower plate. They for sure helps the overall steering quality for the Hammer. However, I would like to find a mod that will allow me to get a tighter steering angle. My Wraith will turn in half the required distance than the Hammer. I'm not afraid to cut things up and modify things myself either opposed to buying a pre-manufactured mod kit. I'm open to any suggestions that will give me a tighter steering angle
Thanks
Chris
Stan3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How can I get a tighter steering angle?

My Wraith isn't running at the moment to check, but i don't recall the turning circle being much different. I could be wrong.
Is your servo hooked up to get the best steering lock? The servo horn length will make a difference, as will the servo endpoints.
The wheels on mine turn until the outside edge lines up the the corner of the bodywork - anout 45 degrees.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

With my steering on the GCM tower there is a little steering angle to be had with some machining.
If you flip you GCM tower/top plate over with my arms mounted you will see where the screws hit the top plate at full angle ( also shown in picture). You can machine some of the aluminum away in these spots to gain some more steering angle. It is not allot but there is some there before you reach the limit of the CVD.

Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
My Wraith isn't running at the moment to check, but i don't recall the turning circle being much different. I could be wrong.
Is your servo hooked up to get the best steering lock? The servo horn length will make a difference, as will the servo endpoints.
The wheels on mine turn until the outside edge lines up the the corner of the bodywork - anout 45 degrees.
Ya the Wraith for sure has more steering angle. When you get it up and running put them side by side rolling together and see who can make the tightest turn.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks tons Sr Irie! Just did the mod. Can already see it has more steering! Looking forward to checking it out on the rocks tomorrow
Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Irie View Post
With my steering on the GCM tower there is a little steering angle to be had with some machining.
If you flip you GCM tower/top plate over with my arms mounted you will see where the screws hit the top plate at full angle ( also shown in picture). You can machine some of the aluminum away in these spots to gain some more steering angle. It is not allot but there is some there before you reach the limit of the CVD.

Sr. Irie
Do you have upgrade parts in stock??
Cheers
Adakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adakar View Post
Sr. Irie
Do you have upgrade parts in stock??
Cheers
I do
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

So, we patched the Wraith up for the weekend. The steering lock seems almost identical, but due to the lack of Ackerman geometry on the Wraith, the Twin Hammers (Scorched Parts Bell crank) easily beat the Wraith for turning circle:
Old 03-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Ya that is very strange. The Wraith is known for having awesome turning radius while the Hammer is known to have bad radius? Look at my Wraith compared to yours. Does your servo have enouph throw? Or perhaps servo horn too short?

Last edited by Stan3535; 03-04-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #10
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Whoa! Yeah, looks like my Wraith is very conservatively set up. The tyres are only just short of touching the links though. Looks like my hammers is very slightly better.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
So, we patched the Wraith up for the weekend. The steering lock seems almost identical, but due to the lack of Ackerman geometry on the Wraith, the Twin Hammers (Scorched Parts Bell crank) easily beat the Wraith for turning circle:
So I was wondering why you have such little steering in your Wraith?? The Wraith uses a universal type joint in the axles that provide a huge steering angle. The Bomber, AX10 use the AR60 axle housing but have dog bones that do not provide much steering. Do you have dog bones?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #12
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

I think my servo horn could be longer. I'm running a tx without endpoint control and my longer horns push the tyres into the lower suspension arms. I need to do a bit of sorting out of this rig. There are numerous areas that need this sort of attention... but it's still a lot of fun. Just been out for 3 hours of trailing and crawling today with some of the local guys. Made my attitude towards the Wraith soften a little. Maybe it'll get some attention soon.

How can I get a tighter steering angle? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tighter steering roughneck Axial SCX-10 21 05-04-2015 06:34 PM
tighter steering options diesel kawboy Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 05-19-2014 06:31 PM
Will Vanquish Axial High Steer Steering Knuckles make my truck steer tighter? blue bronco Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 08-09-2009 12:30 AM
Steering Angle HiloDB1 Kyosho Crawlers 1 11-26-2008 11:05 AM
TLT needs tighter steering radius. any help? ccampb04 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 10 03-02-2006 08:30 PM