Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Aftermarket Front CV Axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Aftermarket Front CV Axles

It is painfully obvious the threaded section on the stock front cv axles is too short where it doesn't allow nylon wheel lock nuts to really thread.

It is also an issue for me that the cv's are a weak point.

I have appoached DLuxFab about building some sets but he won't do it unless there is a decent sized order for a run, otherwise they are cost prohibitive, very understandable.

Is there any interest here on upgraded tough as hell front cv axles from any of you?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Aftermarket Front CV Axles

I could be interested depending on what features they will have.

Im about to start gathering parts to do the Losi rock Rey outdrives/XO-1 CV mod.

Going this route mainly due to the extra travel this will allow. I have read you can use 110mm shocks with a GCM plate.

What did you discuss with Dlux?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmo View Post
I could be interested depending on what features they will have.

Im about to start gathering parts to do the Losi rock Rey outdrives/XO-1 CV mod.

Going this route mainly due to the extra travel this will allow. I have read you can use 110mm shocks with a GCM plate.

What did you discuss with Dlux?

I chatted with him on Messenger.

I run heavier CNC Custom Wheels' 1.9 deep dish beadlocks with KLR's powered by 3s through a Tekin Pro4HD 3000kv motor.

He said he'd need enough interest to get the price down for us and still make it worth his while. He has done a lot of great parts for other rigs so I thought he was the right person to bring this to.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
I chatted with him on Messenger.

I run heavier CNC Custom Wheels' 1.9 deep dish beadlocks with KLR's powered by 3s through a Tekin Pro4HD 3000kv motor.

He said he'd need enough interest to get the price down for us and still make it worth his while. He has done a lot of great parts for other rigs so I thought he was the right person to bring this to.

Yeah fair enough. Another option might be to just create bolt on diff outdrives to suit the MIP slash CV kit. That way far less r&d needed....

Old 07-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmo View Post
Yeah fair enough. Another option might be to just create bolt on diff outdrives to suit the MIP slash CV kit. That way far less r&d needed....

Totally get that point. AndcI have been looking at other options.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The other thing I didnt mention was I am doing the b5m arm swap for extra width I need for my Brocky project.

Thats how both the XO-1 shafts and the Slash MIP setups work...the wider arms allow for the extra shaft length and also allow more travel.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Don't the outdrive cups need to be welded? I thought I read that somewhere.

The B5 arms kinda concern me for use in U4. I am definitely open to any idea.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I might be interested in a set and I have two friends who would be as well, depending upon the price. I am currently running the Associated B5 Bone/TH outdrive hybrid and it would be nice to have something that length but a bit more beefy.

Nedmo, what is the Losi Rock Rey outdrives/XO-1 CV mod that you mentioned? Tried to do a quick search and came up empty. Have a link?
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72 View Post
I might be interested in a set and I have two friends who would be as well, depending upon the price. I am currently running the Associated B5 Bone/TH outdrive hybrid and it would be nice to have something that length but a bit more beefy.

Nedmo, what is the Losi Rock Rey outdrives/XO-1 CV mod that you mentioned? Tried to do a quick search and came up empty. Have a link?
My information has come from a few guys on the Twin Hammers Show and Shine FB page. Here is the info copy and pasted from there..

Brian Stout says:
I just discovered that the Losi Baja Rey actually shares a few diff parts with the TH. This could be very exciting/beneficial for a few of you.
Firstly, the center outdrive set for the Baja Rey comes with 1x the exact stub shaft needed for 5mm driveshafts at the front diff of your Hammers, and will work with your existing spiders gears and other diff parts. This is for the guys running B5 arms and modded MIPs or otherwise. You'll need to order 2x LOS232012 to get a pair of these stub shafts. This is somewhat costly at $17 each but it's an investment you should never have to make again. As for the dogbone cups that come with the kit, toss them in your spares box. If you're the building type (obvious when you're already eyeballs deep in an arm/shaft swap), you'll find a use for them at some point. It should be noted that, the through-hole in the outboard end of this shaft is 2mm. Either use Losi's screw pins (really a borrowed Vaterra part...VTR246001) or drill/grind to work with whatever set screws you choose.
Secondly, they are selling an "HD" differential housing and internals set for the Baja Rey (LOS232004). This part has me excited because the diff cup now has a steel insert molded in for the shaft/o-rings to ride in. This molded in insert will better support your outdrive cups, wear less, and allow for a smoother tighter diff. If you're due for a diff rebuild anyway, this is just about the only way to get ALL the parts in one kit anyway. May as well upgrade WHILE you rebuild.
The ring and pinion set for the Baja Rey looks to also be compatible, but has a steeper helical angle to the gear teeth. This is both good AND bad. This is good because the length of each individual tooth gets longer. This has a negative impact as well though. The steeper spiral angle will cause more thrust load, and destroy pinion bearings. A problem that Baja Rey owners are already experiencing with big power...
Enjoy!

Then Glen Hamiliton performed the mod:
Well, the Baja Rey center diff output was a pretty nice fit in the Twin Hammers front diff. Buy two of them if you try this, one for each side. I had to trim the end of the output slightly to fix the XO-1 shafts onto the outputs, the female part of the shaft was very shallow. Next step is to see if the new a-arms work that I found or if I'll need to go back to the spindly B4.1 arm again.

Another member then said that rear XO-1 Shafts are slightly longer and work better than fronts.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:34 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Does anybody make a solid spool for the TH Iv got the rock rey and I have converted it to a crawler and it really is pretty impressive but the front diff is annoying , after shearing the soft stock screws repeatedly went for some 912's and they seem to be holding for now .
At the moment Iv got racer edge diff putty in there and it's still not totally locked I found after a little crawling excursion .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
It is painfully obvious the threaded section on the stock front cv axles is too short where it doesn't allow nylon wheel lock nuts to really thread.

It is also an issue for me that the cv's are a weak point.

I have appoached DLuxFab about building some sets but he won't do it unless there is a decent sized order for a run, otherwise they are cost prohibitive, very understandable.

Is there any interest here on upgraded tough as hell front cv axles from any of you?

While I cant say I have had any issues with my CV axles, I would consider a heavy-duty set should the price be reasonable.

I am surprised there aren't any being produced, I could swear I have seen pics of them around. Perhaps MIP was making them, it seems they have completely gotten out of the TH market. I also seem to remember Sr.Irie offering them, but alas, he is MIA.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
While I cant say I have had any issues with my CV axles, I would consider a heavy-duty set should the price be reasonable.

I am surprised there aren't any being produced, I could swear I have seen pics of them around. Perhaps MIP was making them, it seems they have completely gotten out of the TH market. I also seem to remember Sr.Irie offering them, but alas, he is MIA.
The MIP ones you saw are likely the custom welded ones that Codybody made and the sr Irie ones were the stock axles that were polished and cryo treated.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Aftermarket Front CV Axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What aftermarket axles are available? whitrzac Axial SCX10 II 3 03-17-2017 11:27 PM
Aftermarket front bumper Shorty123 Axial RR10 Bomber 36 03-06-2017 09:26 PM
Aftermarket axles? Soulo747 Axial SCX-10 4 03-27-2012 01:01 AM
Aftermarket Axles CanadaCrawler Tamiya Clod Buster 42 04-20-2007 03:10 PM