Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Aftermarket Axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #1

Question Aftermarket Axles

Well I should be getting my tax return back soon and I am thinking about getting complete aluminum axles, I was wondering which ones you would get and why...

These are pretty close to the stock axles...
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=476

These ones are completely different, and I am not sure if they are capable of a locked diff. as I am not sure what a spool is (to me it is something you put thread on ...
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=546

I am leaning towards the raptors as they are cheaper but if they dont lock then I probably wont get them....
CanadaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

A spool is a solid gear-it means no differential, it's already locked, and they will put more stress on the other gears. It means the Raptor axles are ok.
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #3

ok thanks, well the gears are harden steel so they should be good, the plastic welded gears in my stock axles have held up ok, because for 399 + shipping I can get 2 axles 2 steering kits and a set of 14mm hubs, so I think I will go with that...
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

There you go.
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I've got a pair of raptor axles on my Hustler and so far I love them. This is an older picture before the steering kit was added....etc. Tom
tittelba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:24 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

both of those axles are nice to pricey for me most people run clod axles with a spool and cvds
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #7

well since it is income tax return time I figured I would get them. since I would need a wheel adapter to run 40 series tires and I dont like the idea of having the the big open whole behind the wheel getting filled with dirt and such, that I would get new axles, and also fewer parts to break....
Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

the first link is a copy of the clod axles the 2nd one only problem i see is the servo mount on it looks like it could move around
Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

why dont you try integy cases and tubes?
add a tracgear to each case........
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

the integy tubes work best with there knuckles since they used a bigger size king pin
Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #11
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCrawler View Post
well since it is income tax return time I figured I would get them. since I would need a wheel adapter to run 40 series tires and I dont like the idea of having the the big open whole behind the wheel getting filled with dirt and such, that I would get new axles, and also fewer parts to break....
What does the wheel size have to do with getting these axles vs. the stock cases? You can get adapter wheel hexes also from RC4WD to run 23mm, 19mm, 17mm on the stock shafts and they won't add any width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
the first link is a copy of the clod axles the 2nd one only problem i see is the servo mount on it looks like it could move around
First of all, the second link doesn't even have pics to the servo mount for the Raptor..secondly this mount looks to be pretty stout to me since it's clamped around the axle tube, especially since most of the "movement" of servo mounts on Clod axles is the tube itself flexing:

IMHO...I think the aluminum axle assemblies are for nothing more than looks. In the RC community as a whole (not just crawling), just because it's aluminum does not mean it's stronger. I realize that there is not much available for the Clod gearcases other than going OEM or using aluminum...but you have decide what it is you are really looking for. Strength or looks? I for one would LOVE to see RC4WD start making Clod axle assemblies in Delrin like they do with all the other axle versions

I am a firm believer in just buying the cheap parts (like the OEM Tamiya replacement axle tubes) and replacing them when and if I break them. I have been taught through the learning curve that all those fancy aluminum pieces you buy for all your RC vehicles (yes I was at one time there), after it's all said and done...are weaker than just using the original molded plastic...or say graphite/CF. Aluminum is for show.

My $.02

Last edited by Offroader5; 04-20-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have a set of raptors and portals to start a build this week with and frankly that serrvo mount sucks wind. you will get caught up on it all the time. I will make my own that stay on the top side of the axle.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #13
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
I have a set of raptors and portals to start a build this week with and frankly that serrvo mount sucks wind. you will get caught up on it all the time. I will make my own that stay on the top side of the axle.
Agreed....I think it hangs way too low also, just made the point that it looked stout enough. With the all aluminum tubes they could have just made the mount attach to the top and back side faces of the tube without it hanging down. I realize that they did it the way they did because they didn't want to make holes in the tube and wanted to use a simple clamp system...but it can definitely be improved upon.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #14

I just dont like the stock axles since they have the the big opening (who knows why) behind the tire, so with the aluminum axles they are like normal axles and dont have the opening.

now with these designs if anything is going to bend it will be the screws. it is a crawler so you arent going to be blasting around fast enough to do any damage because aluminum is stronger then plastic. So I want it because it is built better then stock axles with aluminum casing and harden gears and it looks better then the big ugly stock axles w/ plastic gears...
Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #15

Quote:
well you can either drill and tap holes in the tube and the loctite should seal the holes, or you can always make something similar to the "stock" mounts and just have a hinge at the bottom and a screw at the top...

I will see how the stock mounts are for my needs, as I dont do any competition crawling because there isnt any in my area, I just bring it out when I take my big truck off roading...
Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I just dont like the stock axles since they have the the big opening (who knows why) behind the tire, so with the aluminum axles they are like normal axles and dont have the opening.

now with these designs if anything is going to bend it will be the screws. it is a crawler so you arent going to be blasting around fast enough to do any damage because aluminum is stronger then plastic. So I want it because it is built better then stock axles with aluminum casing and harden gears and it looks better then the big ugly stock axles w/ plastic gears...
WHAT BIG OPENING? do you mean at the tranny portion of the axle?
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway View Post
why dont you try integy cases and tubes?
add a tracgear to each case........
and with these I can only find them on e-bay and they are way to expensive it is like $200 for 4 tubes and knuckles and then another $200 for each case and that doesnt include any internals...
Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #18
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:

What opening are you talking about?

And I agree...no you won't be blasting around...but you may be flopping your rig off an 8 foot boulder or wall, and with the added weight of the aluminum, when it lands it could do much more damage....there's always still a weak link.

Aluminum is not always stronger than plastic! There are many forms of plastic. Ask most nitro guys why they would remove their stock "plastic" suspension arms and replace them with RPM's "plastic" arms.

Last edited by Offroader5; 04-20-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #19
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
and with these I can only find them on e-bay and they are way to expensive it is like $200 for 4 tubes and knuckles and then another $200 for each case and that doesnt include any internals...
if your willing to pay $200 for each of the Integy cases....I have 10 I will sell you

Here ya go: http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...07107369684.4b

And here:
http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/clod_axles.html

Last edited by Offroader5; 04-20-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #20

Quote:
WHAT BIG OPENING? do you mean at the tranny portion of the axle?
this is the big whole i am talking about...

Last edited by CanadaCrawler; 04-20-2007 at 11:10 AM.