Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's Twin Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's Twin Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I can't recall if the through pin hole on the MIP shafts are threaded on both sides, I'm pretty sure there were two grubs screws used just like the Vaterra parts. I bought this TH second hand.

What are you curious about Brake Weight?

How the front and rear drive shafts are held on? My front has backed off again and the rear has never. The front is not as easy to reinstall.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

The guy who who owned my TH used lots of threadlock on the driveshaft grub screws, I had to use my soldering iron to get them out and even that took a bit of work.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, I got a set of the Axial WB8 shafts, thinking I could use them with the Yeti trailing arms. They're only threaded on one side of the cv joint though. I'll have to look into other options. Maybe find an MIP knock off.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
dieselmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #84

Any new and exciting upgrades or drive reports to offer? I'll be building two or three of these THs in the near future. My kid and I decided to go down to only one style of rig and this seems to be able to provide the best bang for the buck of an all around crawler/climber/bouncer/basher...
reidinitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
Worth noting that Bil has raised his gcm plate by about 3mm - a nice mod that allows the big bore shocks to use more of their travel.

I raised the issue of the shock hoops being too short with GCM, but they didn’t seem to get the point.
Didn't see how this was achieved. Is it simply 3mm worth of washers or plastic spacers? Going to be tearing mine back apart to replace the Irie steering with the new Scorched Parts bellcrank to gain full steering throw back.
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Nothing new at this time reidinitaly, I don't think there's anything I would change up other than cosmetics. The TH is definitely a good choice for meeting all your needs, it just does it all so well.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

I used Team KNK aluminum spacers; two under the GCM plate around the midway point where it mounts to the front diff and two under the rear GCM plate where it mounts to the bracket over the front driveshaft. IIRC, I used slightly taller spacers on the rear to provide additional clearance for the servo arm.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

A couple of changes to my Twin Hammers....

First off, no more lost axle hex pins courtesy of Hot Racing's new clamping 12mm hexs. Even includes new pins. It's always bugged me that when I took the wheels off the hex would move and the pin would fall from the axle stub....especially out on the rocks!

I replaced the Pro-Line BFG Krawlers with Axial BFG Krawlers in R35 compound. I have the same tires in their 2.2 version and love them.

New licence plate from Cryptic RC...I must say, they are extremely well done.

TH_098

TH_097

TH_096

TH_095

TH_094
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

First time out crawling in a month and I decide to take my Twin Hammers out for a session to try out the Axial R35 BFG Krawlers. About 40 minutes into the day my fricken servo froze; couldn't get it to budge at all.

Get home, take it all apart, split the servo open and everything looks good, no bent pins or broken gears. Maybe a tiny particle or whatever got jammed into a gear? I cleaned and triple checked everything inside and it seems to work fine. So now my Xpert WR-7701 goes into the spare servo pile because I don't trust it. I'll use it for a ladder frame chassis truck because it's much easier to swap out than a servo in a Twin Hammers.

I installed a HiTec 7950TH servo and the 486 oz/in @ 7.4V is definitely overkill, but should be the last time I have to worry about the servo in this machine (knock on wood).

Only managed to take one picture.....
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2018, 04:57 AM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Billinvc, ordered myself a used TH before I'd read this thread. Even happier now with my purchase- still waiting for it to arrive- today or tomorrow...
Bought the GCM front shock mount and plate and their rear truss thingy as well.
Interesting to see the longer wheelbase and other mods, cant wait to get mine and get out there with it!
Old n ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

what roof panel is on your truck, I hate the oem one with the fake lights
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

The proline bfg krawlers are my favorite tire, do the axial ones work just as well
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
what roof panel is on your truck, I hate the oem one with the fake lights
It's the kit version roof panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
The proline bfg krawlers are my favorite tire, do the axial ones work just as well
I haven't used them yet in 1.9", but I have crawled with them a lot in 2.2" size and they definitely impress me. I usually use these tires on dry rock, i.e., summer tires!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

I managed to get my Twin Hammers out on our Canada Day long weekend and once again, my TH performed incredibly well....and no servo issues!

The 1.9 Axial BFG Krawlers stuck to the rocks like glue and they will get even better as the tires and foams break in.

TH_101

TH_102

TH_104

TH_105

TH_103

TH_100
Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

My Twin Hammers received a motor transplant this weekend. Out with the Castle 1410 3800Kv sensored motor and in with a new Castle 1406 2850Kv slate motor. The bottom end resolution is so much better for slow crawling. I also modified the front end in order to fit a 2200 3S battery instead of the 2S batts I was using for the outgoing motor.

I still have to say, this machine is so much fun to drive and it's crawling and bouncing performance is mind-blowing!

Last edited by bilinvic; 10-23-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #96
RCC Addict

This truck was MEANT for 3S!
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #97
Slow is the new Fast

I need to move to the island...

Are your licence plates metal? Are you getting them in Canada?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Yes, metal backing with a reflective printed face. Look up Cryptic RC on FB.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

I was able to get out this past weekend with a couple of buds for a good "hammering"! The owner of the second TH and I are VERY competitive with our Hammers and the lines that we accomplished were spectacular. By far one of my favourite rigs in my collection of crawlers. At one point I thought my day was done with the front wheels pointing in opposite directions but luckily it was just a lost nyloc and I was back up and running in no time.....crisis averted! I swapped out the Castle 1410 green can 3800Kv motor with a Slate 2850Kv power-plant and was very happy with the performance, especially the low end resolution.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #100

Bill, I have a question for you. How much give does the racers edge diff putty have? I have 500k diff fluid in my Twin Hammers front diff right now, and I'm looking for something that can stiffen up the front diff a little more on the rocks, but still has enough give so that I still get open diff handling when I'm speeding through the grass and dirt.
Alteredgasser57 is offline   Reply With Quote

bilinvic's Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers cage on SCX chassis bouncer conversion aka Bounce Hammers! mce076 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 07-25-2015 02:16 AM
My Twin...Twin Hammers build start sanny632 Vaterra Twin Hammers 8 03-09-2014 12:01 PM
Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers Savage00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 09-19-2013 08:09 PM
Twin Hammers in Twin Cities? 89XJ Minnesota 7 05-06-2013 02:59 PM