Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: New to Me TWH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New to Me TWH

Hello! Just picked up a new to me Twin Hammer and I'm new to this particular platform. I've got other Axial and RC4WD trail trucks, so not new to the hobby. What are the immediate, must have upgrades to make?

I need an interior and think I'd like to customize the body a bit more so as not to look so stock.

Eventually I think I'd like to really upgrade quite a bit, for both braun and beauty. Any suggestions, comments, etc are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to Me TWH

One of the most important mods you can do is to replace the steering system. There are a couple out that that replace with a bell crank kit. I use the Scorched Parts bellcrank with upright shock system and it works very well.

A good second set of mods, depending on what you use the truck for, is the sway bar set and front locker.

You can also get the rear truss mount replacement which will reduce torque twist.

Those are good starts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damatheus View Post
One of the most important mods you can do is to replace the steering system. There are a couple out that that replace with a bell crank kit. I use the Scorched Parts bellcrank with upright shock system and it works very well.

A good second set of mods, depending on what you use the truck for, is the sway bar set and front locker.

You can also get the rear truss mount replacement which will reduce torque twist.

Those are good starts.

Thanks for the info!

What length shocks would you use with the Scorched Parts system?

Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
Thanks for the info!

What length shocks would you use with the Scorched Parts system?

He recommends 80mm shocks with 20mm of travel. The perfect is a set of gmade I am using the king off road. He has all the info listed on the site, here.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/scorched_parts

Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

That looks like the V1 RTR model, looks like it's had very little run time too?

Did it come with the dx3 radio? I studied up on the Hammers before I got mine and discovered the dx3 gear shift channel could get bumped out of adjustment easily and fry the shift servo.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:01 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damatheus View Post
He recommends 80mm shocks with 20mm of travel. The perfect is a set of gmade I am using the king off road. He has all the info listed on the site, here.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/scorched_parts

Thanks, Damatheus!

Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I just ordered a Scorched Parts Manta Bell Crank steering kit and the Scorched Parts Rear Anti Squat Truss. Can't wait to get these to see how they improve the TH!

Also have a new body panel kit coming so I can customize the body and have the interior panel. Mine didn't have the interior panel when I got it.

I think beyond that, I might have to look at wheel/tire combos if for no other reason for further customization and distance from stock. Any wheel/tire combos work best? Anything to stay away from? Thought about some Boom Racing wheels and some Hyrax 4.19 tires.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Got a Hobbywing Quicrun ESC and an Axial 27t motor as my power plant. So far I'm impressed with the Quicrun ESC, although it does seem to lack a little on stopping power. The 27t seems fast enough, but 21t might be the better option, in my opinion. I'll play around with 27t for a bit to see how I like it. I can always swap later if I feel speed is a factor. I figured 27t could give me the best of both speed and crawling abilities.

As stated previously, waiting on my Scorched Parts bell crank kit and rear truss mount. Also have a body on order. Gotta come up with a color scheme.

May order up the VP castor blocks, knuckles and rear upper links. Pricing is not bad. Help give her a little bling and strength.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I run that ESC in a Wraith with a Traxxas 550 and it’s fantastic. Just set the drag brake higher if you want more stopping power.

I’ve got a sensorless 3650 Ima try with an Axial AE-3. I don’t remember the kV but it’s mid 2000s. I’ve got a 3100kV that’ll go in if the slower one is too slow.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I run that ESC in a Wraith with a Traxxas 550 and it’s fantastic. Just set the drag brake higher if you want more stopping power.

I’ve got a sensorless 3650 Ima try with an Axial AE-3. I don’t remember the kV but it’s mid 2000s. I’ve got a 3100kV that’ll go in if the slower one is too slow.
I'm hoping the Quicrun is a winner. For the price, I'll start outfitting all my trail rigs with them. Waterproof, 3s capable, programmable and a relatively small footprint. Not bad for about $45.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I love mine so far. I’ve bid on a few on fleaBay but they quickly escalate to the MSRP. The HobbyWing site is just as cheap.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:15 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The only things I ever needed was swaybars for the rear, and getting rid of the shifting. Lock the shifter in whatever gear You want. 1st for general crawling, and second for bashing. The manual for how to do that is available online.

I burnt 3 servo’s ànd the bec of the ESC (with a high-torque digital servo) before deciding that the whole shifting bizz was an ill-conceived affair, and proof of the engineering adage “The fact that it’s technically possible, doesn’t mean It should be done”
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
The only things I ever needed was swaybars for the rear, and getting rid of the shifting. Lock the shifter in whatever gear You want. 1st for general crawling, and second for bashing. The manual for how to do that is available online.

I burnt 3 servo’s ànd the bec of the ESC (with a high-torque digital servo) before deciding that the whole shifting bizz was an ill-conceived affair, and proof of the engineering adage “The fact that it’s technically possible, doesn’t mean It should be done”
I keep reading about folks burning up the shift servo. I have a DX4C mated to my TH and I've set the end points on the shift servo, to what I think are appropriate stops. The shift servo is still rather noisy and chattery, but it has yet to get warm. I have some experience with shift servos on my TF2. Burnt a couple up there before I got it right.

I kind of like the idea of the 2 speed trans. I've seen the Scorched Parts kit that allows you to manually shift from low to high, but not sure how I feel about having to manually shift or leaving a hole or something else in the interior panel to allow access to it, if that makes sense.

Full disclosure, I haven't really bashed much with this thing yet. Still trying to get some things ironed out with it. I locked the front diff, but not sure if I'll stick with that or go with 500K or 1M diff fluid to give a little slip. As stated previously, I have the Manta steering kit and rear truss coming, so need to see how that impacts driveability.

What is the single biggest advantage of the sway bar? For high speed running I could see how it could help with maneuverability, but for general bashing and light crawling?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #14
Slow is the new Fast

With the endpoints set properly I don't anticipate you'll have a problem. I have one Twin Hammers with a two speed and I am still running the original servo(knocks on wood).

The only reason I am running single speed Twin Hammers now is that I am on censored systems and see no need for it
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
With the endpoints set properly I don't anticipate you'll have a problem. I have one Twin Hammers with a two speed and I am still running the original servo(knocks on wood).

The only reason I am running single speed Twin Hammers now is that I am on censored systems and see no need for it
Hopefully the end points will keep anything from getting too hot (fingers crossed).

I'm still running a brushed set up. All I've done with this is run it up and down the street. Haven't really had the opportunity yet to trail or crawl with it, but would imagine the low gear would be a nice feature to have. Once I get more wheel time, I certainly could change my mind and determine that only one gear is necessary. Time will tell.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #16
Slow is the new Fast

From my experience, the low gear is nice to have for slow trailing/crawling. Especially in brushed systems. I don't generally take my TH into rock piles, but its size makes it highly maneuverable and excellent in tight spaces.

I don't use a swaybar on my TH rigs. From my understanding guys prefer it for high speed stability and cornering. I just slow down into turns to prevent roll-overs.

I have never locked my front diff and would likely only do so if I were only going to crawl exclusively. 500k-1m diff silicon does wonders for it without messing up the high speed control.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
From my experience, the low gear is nice to have for slow trailing/crawling. Especially in brushed systems. I don't generally take my TH into rock piles, but its size makes it highly maneuverable and excellent in tight spaces.

I don't use a swaybar on my TH rigs. From my understanding guys prefer it for high speed stability and cornering. I just slow down into turns to prevent roll-overs.

I have never locked my front diff and would likely only do so if I were only going to crawl exclusively. 500k-1m diff silicon does wonders for it without messing up the high speed control.
Thanks, smog! Very helpful!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Got my body panel set in today.

Took the interior panel and got it painted, decal detailed and installed. I think it really helps to complete the look with the interior.

Also got a wild hair and decided to remove the stickers from the side of the stock body panels.

I have some ideas for how to paint the new clear body panels. Thinking about mimicking the scheme I use on my RC racecars. I wouldn't use the exact colors but close. White base and a combo of blues and silver on the striping. No flo pink and no flo yellow. Still mulling that over, though.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Now it feels a little more like mine! The stock body is nice, but it's not unique. Safe to say, this one is unique to me. Happ y with the way it turned out.

Now waiting on some of the Scorched Parts to arrive. Received email today that they have been shipped.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

That looks great.

I have been running mine for two years now. 4000kv sensorless brushless system in it. Hitec servos, 5646 for steering and a mighty mini for shifting. I run a rear (soft) sway bar in the rear, and none up front. Two speed fully functional. Locked front center and rear. I do heavy trailing with it, and tend to hang with the big dogs... Brushless Wraith's and Yeti's and blow the guys away with how capable the little Twin Hammers is. My twin in high gear will hang with a stock brushed slash on the track, and in low, climb and trail with the scx 10's. Its a box stock Kit.

The weak links are the spur, (replaced with a rrp steel gear) and the front cvds. About 4 hours of trailing and I usually break a pin, followed shortly after another. Replace the pins, and 2- 4 hours later I snap the cvd's them self. I am running a 4 pole 550 brushless though.

Before you start throwing parts at it , Drive it and decide where you want to go with it.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

New to Me TWH - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to TWH Poserx Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 06-24-2013 05:57 PM
TWH trans in something different Exocaged Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 04-01-2013 12:07 PM
combo for the twh qcax10 Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 02-24-2013 04:47 PM
has anybody tried 1.55 wheels on the TWH?? heinie_21 Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 02-24-2013 07:52 AM
twh motor Ohioskills Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 02-23-2013 08:09 AM