Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: How to upgrade TH to minimize rollovers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How to upgrade TH to minimize rollovers?

I have pretty much stock V1 Twin Hammers. The only mod is the large battery tray in the back. This plus the fifth wheel keep the center of the gravity pretty high so the TH is rolling over easily. Besides the sway bars, is there any other mod/upgrade that would help with the rollovers? For those who installed the sway bars, was the improvement noticeable?
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: How to upgrade TH to minimize rollovers?

Remove the spare tire and move the battery down low in the chassis. I think you know what you need to do.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

There are some rear truss upgrades that adjust the geometry of the rear control arms. This is supposed to help a lot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
I have pretty much stock V1 Twin Hammers. The only mod is the large battery tray in the back. This plus the fifth wheel keep the center of the gravity pretty high so the TH is rolling over easily. Besides the sway bars, is there any other mod/upgrade that would help with the rollovers? For those who installed the sway bars, was the improvement noticeable?
Yeah. The improvement was noticeable. I would put thicker shock oil and little bit stiffer springs. Also getting the weight lower would help a lot. The best way to do that is the scorched parts bellcrank conversion and battery tray which moves the battery to the chassis pan but since you run bigger batteries you would need to get smaller batteries.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

And lower your ride height. I run mine with the front arms slightly below level. Rear is raked slightly higher. Soft rear sway bar.
To minimize rollovers you want no articulation, to speak of, so firm sway bars front and rear. And firm suspension and foams.
You want the tires to slide rather than bite in the sideways motion.
the Twin is a rock racer, not a track rig, so rollovers tend to come with the territory.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The big battery is killing your COG. I run 2200mah 2s and 3s packs in the stock location and feel that the truck has decent handling and sidehilling abilities.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys for all the replies. What runtime you guys get with the 2200mAh battery? If it is decent, I may switch back to the original tray to lower COG.
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

20-25 min of crawling, trailing action, on my 2000mah 2s lipos. 40 ish min on my 4000mah shortys. 3s is more efficient by 40% -50% or so
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

My runtime on 2200's is largely dependent on driving conditions. Worst case is mostly full throttle snow bashing in high gear, which gets about 20 minutes. Best case is casual trail driving in low gear which can yield about 45 minutes to an hour. Typically I get over a half hour with mixed conditions. The 3s packs tend to last me about %30 longer than the 2s. Except in the snow, where they both last about the same, but the 3s obviously has more power=more fun in the snow.

This is with a Mamba Max Pro ESC, a gen1 Tekin 17.5 redline, geared 24/82 and a little larger than stock sized KLR tires.

The 2200 40C Turnigy packs from hobby king are so cheap it's a worthwhile experiment IMO.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

How to upgrade TH to minimize rollovers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reducing Jeep Rollovers JimmyPickles Axial SCX-10 16 04-18-2013 05:52 PM
What's the best way to minimize axle stall... vti-chris General Crawlers 5 06-22-2011 01:47 AM
Hardline body rollovers? oldhippie Axial XR10 4 09-19-2010 04:24 PM
Rollovers and Carnage WheelChair Videos! 6 07-24-2007 11:44 AM
crawlin rollovers... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 4 08-15-2006 12:16 PM