Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Electronics

Notices

Thread: Heyok: Rock Lights on a budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Heyok: Rock Lights on a budget

Hi, I just bought the 3s rock light kit from RPP and had a question. I had bought 2 of your toggle switches from you and use them for my other lights and wanted to know if I can plug the rock lights into one of them instead of a receiver port? Also why do they need two power sources. I mean if the esc powers everything else why do I need to connect to the battery, wouldn't the esc be enough? Just trying to understand this stuff still learning so forgive me. Thank you.
oh and by the way I love the toggles I got from you they are perfect for my appilcation.
raddad1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 05:31 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddad1975 View Post
Hi, I just bought the 3s rock light kit from RPP and had a question. I had bought 2 of your toggle switches from you and use them for my other lights and wanted to know if I can plug the rock lights into one of them instead of a receiver port? Also why do they need two power sources. I mean if the esc powers everything else why do I need to connect to the battery, wouldn't the esc be enough? Just trying to understand this stuff still learning so forgive me. Thank you.
oh and by the way I love the toggles I got from you they are perfect for my appilcation.
I think I sell a couple of different things with toggle switches so I have to guess what it is that you are referring to.
If it is this item then yes, you could use it to work the rock lights and some other servo - one at a time depending where the toggle is pointing:
Servo Toggle Switch

Why two power connections? When you plug into a receiver, the receiver supplies 6 volts (usually) to the item you have connected, but the rock lights operate on 12 volts... it gets that voltage from the battery. Elsewhere in this thread I mention that I build a version of this part that will run on a lower voltage than 3S. If you wanted to, you could power it from the receiver in order to step up the voltage to about 12 volts to light the rock lights, so again you are probably wondering why I have the connection for external power and not power from the receiver. That's because not everyone has a good supply for their receiver power (a strong internal BEC or external BEC). Taking this power from the battery bypasses that need.

Hope that answered you. If not, let me know where I can provide more detail.

Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
I think I sell a couple of different things with toggle switches so I have to guess what it is that you are referring to.
If it is this item then yes, you could use it to work the rock lights and some other servo - one at a time depending where the toggle is pointing:
Servo Toggle Switch

Why two power connections? When you plug into a receiver, the receiver supplies 6 volts (usually) to the item you have connected, but the rock lights operate on 12 volts... it gets that voltage from the battery. Elsewhere in this thread I mention that I build a version of this part that will run on a lower voltage than 3S. If you wanted to, you could power it from the receiver in order to step up the voltage to about 12 volts to light the rock lights, so again you are probably wondering why I have the connection for external power and not power from the receiver. That's because not everyone has a good supply for their receiver power (a strong internal BEC or external BEC). Taking this power from the battery bypasses that need.

Hope that answered you. If not, let me know where I can provide more detail.

Al
Actually The toggles I have are the " Receiver power distributor with power switch". I am running the castle mamba x esc, I have the esc on it set at 6 but run all my lights ( gearhead 4 inch light bar, gearhead koh light bar and two rc4wd baja pods). will I still need to connect to the battery?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Actually The toggles I have are the " Receiver power distributor with power switch". I am running the castle mamba x esc, I have the esc on it set at 6 but run all my lights ( gearhead 4 inch light bar, gearhead koh light bar and two rc4wd baja pods). will I still need to connect to the battery?
Only if you want them to light up
Old 09-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Only if you want them to light up
OK cool thank you! One last question, while I was at work I got to think about how I wanted to mount the lights and was wondering if it would hurt anything if I extended any of the wires, or will it be OK to extend one or two?
Old 09-01-2017, 04:55 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OK cool thank you! One last question, while I was at work I got to think about how I wanted to mount the lights and was wondering if it would hurt anything if I extended any of the wires, or will it be OK to extend one or two?
Extend them as much as you like, that would be fine.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Extend them as much as you like, that would be fine.
Ok sorry one more question concerning the rock lights. Would it be possible to tie them into the power wires for my bec instead of to the esc wires( dont want to tear apart the plug wires cause their not my best soldier job lol and dont want to make it worse).Figured I could splice both power wires together without as much hassle.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok sorry one more question concerning the rock lights. Would it be possible to tie them into the power wires for my bec instead of to the esc wires( dont want to tear apart the plug wires cause their not my best soldier job lol and dont want to make it worse).Figured I could splice both power wires together without as much hassle.
Yes, that would be fine because both placed will get the proper voltage to the controller.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yes, that would be fine because both placed will get the proper voltage to the controller.

Very Very cool!!! Thank you Al!!!!
Old 09-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Welcome!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Well, I broke one I guess. Got everything hooked up and mounted with no problems, plugged in my battery and only had 3 working. I some how managed to break the wire off of the led. So now gonna order another set lol
Old 09-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well, I broke one I guess. Got everything hooked up and mounted with no problems, plugged in my battery and only had 3 working. I some how managed to break the wire off of the led. So now gonna order another set lol
Send me a PM and I will get you fixed up!

Heyok: Rock Lights on a budget - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED lights on a single HeyOk switch SoCal_80 Axial Wraith 2 01-25-2015 08:24 PM
Newbie to this forum. Rock Crawler, Low Budget Ian78 Chit Chat 5 02-09-2013 08:31 PM
Rock lights anyone? m4rK Traxxas Crawlers 6 09-07-2011 06:07 PM
buiding a rock racer on a budget got some ? canadianjeeper Newbie General 2 02-06-2008 10:54 PM