Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Cross Reference Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Cross Reference Parts

Because this is a relativily new crawler and most of the parts have to be ordered wich causes down time on the rig. I wanted to start a thread that showes cross reference parts that could be picked up at the local hobbie shop for faster turn around.

Rember pic's are always better for dicription purposes

Here is what i have discoved so far..........

Broken lower links.

Traxxus links are a quick and easly avalable, yes there short but a 6mm spacer takes up the added space. although there not curved like the Venoms they still work fine.
smashmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

My local hobbie store has a ton of Axial parts. So for some longer upper links I used Axial 65MM post.

The selectable locker has become a novelty. I've done the spacer mod, it came undone, I JB welded it and the gears turned it to dust. (I hope Venom takes note of this)
I picked up a set of Axial lockers.

Look how nice they fit in the carrier!

Here is how to make them fit just right! First grind the sides flush, where the axles will insert. Like so.

Now round the to nubs on each end so keep from putting a square peg into a round hole.

Yes the Venom axle is much bigger than an Axial, so use a dremal and bring the hole of the Axial spool up to size. Make sure to take out a little material and test fit alot to insure nice snug fitment.

Wammie Now ya got a full on spool, no more having to pull the axle apart 5 TIMES.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Use traxxas parts 4628X (x2) and 1953 (x1) to make up new DIRECT FIT drive shafts. The traxxas metal u joints are bullet proof and the pede sliders are a cheap and easy to replace failure point... not that they break easily

This mod is a bit pricy as it will cost bout $50... I have yet to snap one unlike the stock drive shaft that lasted about 3 min of real crawling I was also able to get my crawler up and running the same day it broke the driveline instead of waiting for parts

Pics... sorry i don't have any... I have 2 good digi cameras (nikon D-40 and D-80) the only time i drag them out is vaction and road trips... i just don't like taking pictures!!!

Last edited by JSN; 03-08-2009 at 11:42 AM.
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
Use traxxas parts 4628X (x2) and 1953 (x1) to make up new DIRECT FIT drive shafts. The traxxas metal u joints are bullet proof and the pede sliders are a cheap and easy to replace failure point... not that they break easily

This mod is a bit pricy as it will cost bout $50... I have yet to snap one unlike the stock drive shaft that lasted about 3 min of real crawling I was also able to get my crawler up and running the same day it broke the driveline instead of waiting for parts

Pics... sorry i don't have any... I have 2 good digi cameras (nikon D-40 and D-80) the only time i drag them out is vaction and road trips... i just don't like taking pictures!!!
This is the mod I did on one of my creepers, but I used the plastic u-jionts for now and it cost me a total of $15.00. Here is a picture.
hoplesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
JSN
Quarry Creeper

you use PLASTIC u-joints????? and they are holding up????? I didn't bother with them as i found plastic would last until about the first bind up or the first time I punched my TLT based(pede tranny) up something.... most of the time i split them in two so it also wears metal U's now....anyway, what ever works for ya
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I think this thread is a great idea. Good work on those axial lockers. Mine have been holding up but I'll keep that in mind for the future if needed.
bassguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
you use PLASTIC u-joints????? and they are holding up????? I didn't bother with them as i found plastic would last until about the first bind up or the first time I punched my TLT based(pede tranny) up something.... most of the time i split them in two so it also wears metal U's now....anyway, what ever works for ya
Yaya it's a quick fix if your driveline breaks. the plastic have been holding fine so far, BUT I will be putting the metal u-joints on shortly. This is something to get you up and running faster if the metal ones aren't in your budget.
hoplesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

does anybody know if there is another set of axles available for the Creeper? The stock ones are pretty weak.
RetVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitar View Post
I think this thread is a great idea. Good work on those axial lockers. Mine have been holding up but I'll keep that in mind for the future if needed.
If you use it like you should you'll have problems with the lockers. I keep my throttle EPA set at just below half, just to insure my 8 year old son dosent get too throttle happy. Even with the low settings locker parts don't hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
does anybody know if there is another set of axles available for the Creeper? The stock ones are pretty weak.
Read....................
RC4WD: XVD for the Venom Tester Wanted!!! Ends 3/9/09
Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Smash I saw the thread, but that doesn't do me any good right now as I'm having a hard time finding an RC shop with Creeper axles in stock. I need one now and some spares (since they seem to break often) until someone comes out with a stronger design.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
I am running an entire short side from my ax10 in my creeper (due to broken shaft) I had to "tap" the axle into the locker but it went in pretty easy and it fit the bearings and all. We wheeled it all day sunday with no problems.
1\4elliptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Good to know. Thank you, 1/4.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

will axial driveshaft fit creeper?
coz i saw this -
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-axi...cPath=595_1160
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-axi...cPath=595_1160

I'd make this post sticky ;)

Last edited by Alex.G; 03-12-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Alex.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I dunno - but I'd stear clear of TopCad. I had some DF-03 parts that sure looked pretty until I drove it and everything bent!
bassguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default Custom Integy AX10 driveshaft on Venom Creeper

I cut about half an inch off the driveshaft and it worked perfect see pictures below.

legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Did anyone notice any bidning by not using the angeled venom rod ends when using striaght regular rod ends in place of them??
wangankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

no i use the losi rod ends they work fine.the only thing you have to change is the bolt.you have to use a 4-40 bolt.or you can use the traxxas rod ends but there shorter.
scram8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Would you happen to have a link or part # for the parts you mentioned?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

losi part no. LOSA6044 just make sure to pick up some 4-40 bolts at the hardware store.there cheaper than at the hobby shop.
scram8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scram8 View Post
losi part no. LOSA6044 just make sure to pick up some 4-40 bolts at the hardware store.there cheaper than at the hobby shop.
Good lookin out, thanks!

So the 4-40s are for the ball end? These will thread on to the 3mm grub scews that come with the creeper linkage correct?

THanks!