Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: recommended upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #1

Default recommended upgrades

Pheew, just finished building my Creeper and am very happy to say, no over hardened or weak metal parts. This thing can take a beating and is rules right out of the box!

I'm 100% happy with the electronics I'm using, so no need to upgrade that, but I am looking up upgrade known weak areas and also do what is needed to get more traction / clearance.

Whats the best approach to getting the most out of the Creeper?
warDialer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #2

I'm getting rid of the selectable lockers with some JB weld on mine.
I have yet to find a reason to unlock either of the axles.
M_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #3

I don't see alot of use in the lockers once the dig comes out, but it is a cool idea. I changed the tires to some HB Rovers with Pro Line 2 Stage foams. That made a huge difference. i also added some stick on car wheel weights in the wheels. About 5.25 ounces per front wheel and 1.5 ounces for each rear. I drilled breather holes in the wheels as well. This made a pretty big difference.

The rear skid can be removed and the lockouts moved to the front (look on CKRC.com for details on the creeper stage 2 kit). I also turned the lower links upside down to give more clearance in the center of the chassis. Finally I cahnged to coils on the shocks to get a llittle more height. I used some HPI off the shlef black springs and cut them to fit my liking. There are other springs that you can order for a better fit.

I am sure you could read more on here elsewhere- I am still a newb, but blasting away with this thing when I can!

Good Luck
TD
Mountain Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #4

HB rovers with 16oz in each front and 8oz in rear
venom alloy diff case with axial heavy duty diff locker you just need to do a little grinding to make them fit
Donald919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I will be posting pic's and specs about my pro class 2.2 venom comp rig soon (as soon as im done traveling around the country competing) Im at the redrocks colorado comp now, I was at WCC 2 weeks ago and I will be at the world finals in a month. I have some video and tons of pics of my mods, I would say start with the HR aluminum upgraded C-Hubs knuckles and rear lockouts.
1\4elliptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald919 View Post
HB rovers with 16oz in each front and 8oz in rear
venom alloy diff case with axial heavy duty diff locker you just need to do a little grinding to make them fit
16oz in each front?? What weights did you use?
Mountain Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
I wouldn't. As far as full size rigs go, it's better to have selectable lockers to improve turning radius, and allow increased stability when side hilling. One wheel will act as a rudder keeping your line on a hill instead of sliding down the hill sideways when you have them locked.

Just like full size rigs I think it is up to personal prefrence. A dig unit will help cure the turning radius problems. That is if venom ever comes out with it lol
I have my creeper " welded up " and love it. I had way to many problems with the lockers not staying locked. And after that was cured i couldnt keep the diff togther.
horsinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I would lock the diffs with the washer mod:
The washer mod...

I recommend some upgraded drive shafts my plastic ones got mangled within a few runs.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #9

Default up grade

i put stage2 ckrc kit and aluminum diff housings and locked diffs by slideing in lock pos. and tighting the selector screw that way they dont pop out of locked pos.thats all my up grades look at venom pics to see
ROCKETRON1969 is offline   Reply With Quote