Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Driveshaft broke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Driveshaft broke

Hey guys so my driveshaft broke first day out on the rocks. Kinda bummed.

Is there a way I can prevent this in the future? What caused this? I was not in a bind at all. Just slow crawlin.

So after I buy a new one how do I prevent this?

Krazee DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Dang, you broke a drive shaft ? I have yet to blow one of them.
Can you shoot a clear close up pic of the broken part and we may be able to help.
Out of interest did you set the pins tight and wrap them with heat shrink. That will prevent pins moving and rooting joints.

Keen to help.
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Im sure it was because the pins started to come out and destroy the ends of the shaft.

After the one broke I looked on the other side and a pin was falling out. So if I were to tape or shink wrap the end the pin wont fall out and it will be saved? haha?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #4

Just a sugestion but if you can I'd get the traxxas shafts and steel yokes. I don't remember the part numbers but they've been talked about a bunch on here; I'm sure a search would net them. Also, the new skid plate is a good upgrade, i had the same one as you for a long time and got the new one. It makes a pretty big difference for sliding up over stuff.

It's kind of a bummer when you have a new toy and something breaks right away, but a few upgrades and the creeper is pretty bullet proof.
wiznich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiznich View Post
Just a sugestion but if you can I'd get the traxxas shafts and steel yokes. I don't remember the part numbers but they've been talked about a bunch on here; I'm sure a search would net them. Also, the new skid plate is a good upgrade, i had the same one as you for a long time and got the new one. It makes a pretty big difference for sliding up over stuff.

It's kind of a bummer when you have a new toy and something breaks right away, but a few upgrades and the creeper is pretty bullet proof.
Sweet thanks I will research a tad more.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #6

Ouch, yeah looks like a definite upgrade time.

There are also CKRC Driveshafts:

CKRC

Then there are Junfac:

Junfac
_TRX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazee DD View Post
Hey guys so my driveshaft broke first day out on the rocks. Kinda bummed.

Is there a way I can prevent this in the future? What caused this? I was not in a bind at all. Just slow crawlin.

So after I buy a new one how do I prevent this?
When you build them make sure you used Blue or Red locktight and use two grub screws and they will be good. Mine have never broken with blue locktight Also contact Venom and they will send you a new shaft.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i second the traxxas steel yokes and shafts best mod for shafts IMO
sidewaystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiznich View Post

ive used the traxxas long drive shafts with the venom yoke, and never had a problem since with breaking them.

not even having a prob with the driveshaft pitch with the axial tranny and dna dig installed
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Are these the shafts you guys are talkin bout?

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Half..._p/tra1953.htm

Would I need to use the heat shrink on the traxxas ones? Will I have to worry bout those pins fallin out?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Would I need to use the heat shrink on the traxxas ones? Will I have to worry bout those pins fallin out?
yep, thats them. i havent had any problems with the pins in the driveshaft coming out, only the cvd's in the axles breaking the c-hubs
Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Im sure it was because the pins started to come out and destroy the ends of the shaft.

After the one broke I looked on the other side and a pin was falling out. So if I were to tape or shink wrap the end the pin wont fall out and it will be saved? haha?
that's what happened to me
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:

It's been awhile since I've done mine, but no you don't have to worry about any pins or heat shrink with the Traxxas setup. The steel yoke snaps down into the plastic shaft....sounds weak but it's tough material and you really have to push to get the yokes down into they're seats.
Another benefit is the grub screws that came with the kit (I thought) strip out easy when you put much torque on them and I believe they are a bigger grub with the Trax.....blue locktite and forget about them.
Either way they were well worth the money.

Good Luck
W
wiznich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #14

Looks like the pin started coming out. Specilly the way one side is broke off. Never had a prblem with mine, though I never Lock-tighted them in. I've found that if you use locktight and dont get the grub screws tight enough, it will actully keep them from staying tight. Then when you try to tighten them again, they will never stay tight, like trying to jb weld something twice. I just tighten the hell out of them with no locktight.
sil80det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Can i just tape em?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #16

I started using the traxxas drive shafts from my rustler and they go just as fast as the venom and my creeper is a scaler. Look into the integy aluminum for the ax10
bgh1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgh1441 View Post
I started using the traxxas drive shafts from my rustler and they go just as fast as the venom and my creeper is a scaler. Look into the integy aluminum for the ax10
whats the price range on those?
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

the traxxas long drive shafts run $7 for 2 at the lhs and the integys run about $23 at the lhs.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Here's another option, I'm not using these as I use the traxxas ds and yokes as well as some ds retainer rings. I'm not too sure which ones to buy for the Creeper but some guys around here are using them with great results.
http://www.etamiya.com/shop/tamiya-c...-90000233.html
http://www.3racing-parts.com/shop/ax...p-1051191.html
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I'm now running the traxxas shafts after I broke the stockers. 2 hard runs with them, and I think they are going to hold up just fine. MIP's are in the not so distant future though.
adale4130 is offline   Reply With Quote