Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Ring and pinion problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
I know you probably have your rig back together and want to keep it that way if it aint breakin but if theres a possibility,,,can you get a pic of the two differnet kinds of pinions side by side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazynocturnal View Post
ditto, i would like to see it also....
Ok i will see what i can do...(good thing i kept the old pinions)
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #22
RCC Addict

I know 2 of you asked to see the replacements i got vs. the old ones i got with the kit. I finally got the time to tear it upart and get the new one out for pics. I also charged the real camera enough so it will come out decient

The new one is on the left and the old on the right. The new one is larger in diameter and has a diffrent pitch(the correct pitch to match the ring gear). Also the teeth shape are diffrent

New in the background Old in foreground

This shot is a little blurry but it almost seems like even the 2 old ones have some subtle diffrences. When i pulled out the old ones only one of them had broken teeth, where as the other was fine

you guys dont have to do this but im kinda curious what your pinions looked like from the kit. Im not shure if this was a common 1st gen kit problem or just something that happend to my particular kit. Just a thought

Last edited by gottorque; 08-04-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
you guys dont have to do this but im kinda curious what your pinions looked like from the kit. Im not shure if this was a common 1st gen kit problem or just something that happend to my particular kit. Just a thought
ill see what i can do to get mine apart so you can see...ive had mine for a 10 months now and i dont believe its a first realesed kits....as my axle stubs are still holding up. like i said ill see what i can do. i got a race coming up on sunday and ive been working on the slash to get it up and going...home made lcg chassis takes some tuning...as im busy friday night. so if i dont do it tomorrow night i will try to do it on saturday...

Last edited by lazynocturnal; 08-05-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: spelling
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know 2 of you asked to see the replacements i got vs. the old ones i got with the kit. I finally got the time to tear it upart and get the new one out for pics. I also charged the real camera enough so it will come out decient

The new one is on the left and the old on the right. The new one is larger in diameter and has a diffrent pitch(the correct pitch to match the ring gear). Also the teeth shape are diffrent

Hey Bro,,,nice job and thanks for the tear down. The pinion on the left in the picture above is a match to mine. Probably just a mix up in hte kit assembly process at Venom. Its very easy to see why you were having issues though.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #25

I HAVE REPLACED MY FRONT AND REAR NO PROBLEMS SO FAR ...SATURDAY WILL SHOW .STILL HAS A MILD DIFFERENT CLICKING IN REVERSE FROM REAR
BUCKSHOTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Hey Bro,,,nice job and thanks for the tear down. The pinion on the left in the picture above is a match to mine. Probably just a mix up in hte kit assembly process at Venom. Its very easy to see why you were having issues though.
your probally right rmd....we all know venom sometimes doesnt have the best quality control at times....makes me ....lol
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
your probally right rmd....we all know venom sometimes doesnt have the best quality control at times....makes me ....lol
Im not to worried about it. Its just something they need to work on but its nothing major. Its not like Axial or Tamyia has'nt flubbed on a kit before.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Im not to worried about it. Its just something they need to work on but its nothing major. Its not like Axial or Tamyia has'nt flubbed on a kit before.
Amen brother builders...I havent heard anything back yet from Venom and dont really expect to until somtime next week. I havent had any diff issues...Knock on wood. I decided to set my steering a little lighter took a bit out of my epas and trims and a bit out of my DR. Hopefully that will keep the cvd's a bit happier until a more convincing resolution can be reached. I have a comp on Saturday so I am gonna make a back-up locked diff just in case. I dont have a file small enough to get inside of the long shaft slot to equalize the pivot between the long and short shafts. On topic though my diffs are tight and the gear mesh is good. The tranny feels good too. The thing that irritates me more than anything else is the bad press that unhappy people start throwing when thier rig fails,,,Welcome to the party pal,,,,The way I see it...If you aint breakin?,,,You MUST be brakin!

Saturday Ill be running the rig really hard with the dig to see how it does. Ill let you guys know what happens.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #29

My diff'S are holding for now ,added 55t motor and white rovers(tires are the ticket).still do have a mild tick from rear more so in reverse..hate the shock body quality...one shock cap just poped off,put thread tape on it for now,moved the top of rear shocks to tray mount screw....layed them down good and put on losi white springs.

thomas ...this is maybe my favorite alltime thread...( I have been rc racing for 20 years)

WELL DONE
BUCKSHOTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOTRC View Post
My diff'S are holding for now ,added 55t motor and white rovers(tires are the ticket).still do have a mild tick from rear more so in reverse..hate the shock body quality...one shock cap just poped off,put thread tape on it for now,moved the top of rear shocks to tray mount screw....layed them down good and put on losi white springs.

thomas ...this is maybe my favorite alltime thread...( I have been rc racing for 20 years)

WELL DONE
Im running hard anodized big bores in mine now. much better quality
Good to hear your diffs are holding. have you gotten some good runtime with it now
Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #31
RCC Addict

wow that is a slight difference ! my kit was a first generation kit ( overhardened stubs ) my pinions look like the ones that venom sent you for replacements
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOTRC View Post

WELL DONE
do your pinions look like the ones above on the right or the left,,if you arent sure you might tear an axle apart and check...if they look like the ones on the right they are wrong...
Old 08-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Just had a pinion come apart on me... I have the small ones that everyone else is having problems with... Sucks that it happened so early in my crawl session, as I re-engineered the rear links to combat my case of TT... Funny that it happens more to the front diff than the rear, since the rear diff on mine takes more punishment...
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Emailed Venom C.S. on Saturday, got a reply form Jason Koneval this morning saying he would get a pair of pinions out to me ASAP... Excellent customer service from these people... Never had such a quick reply from any other company before... A+ folks...
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #35

since you mentioned the customer service i figured id bring this old thread back,i never had the pinion problem after over a year with my creeper.the only problem i had with it was twisting the wheel off (outter stub axle) and they shipped me out one right away i was impressed myself thinking it was gonna be a hastle,but it was far from it
northsydryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #36
No idea what I'm doing

I guess my posts here got lost when RCC went down, but I emailed Venom about my pinion problem. less than 40 minutes later, I got an email saying my new pinions were on their way...excellent customer service

My truck is older, but doesn't have much time on it so that's why the pinion problem hasn't surfaced until now. Still very cool of Venom to ship me new versions with no questions asked.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #37
No idea what I'm doing

I finally got around to changing this out last night and here is a picture of my old and new pinions. My replacement looks a bit different from gottorque's so I thought I would post a picture of it. You can see mine only broke one tooth, but it was skipping pretty bad.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Juan I'm surprised you were able to run your truck at all with those wrong pinion gears. mine kit pinion would barely make it on flat ground let alone crawling without nasty grinding.

Did Venom update their pinions again. Let me know how those hold up.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #39
No idea what I'm doing

The front was the biggest problem on mine. Lots of popping, but the rear kept the truck moving until it got off of the broken tooth. Then another revolution and pop again. My new pinion does look different from yours, so maybe they did make a change...this is what was shipped to me.

I ran one battery through it and not a peep (or pop) from the front. Going to replace the rears this week, but I think I should be set.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Sweet Juan. My creeper axles are sittin pretty under one of my scalers. No diff problems at all other than blowing cv pins in the right front and managing to put a hole in my pin lock aside from that they are holding up to some good abuse from a 22t