Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Shock spring Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock spring Question?

My stock Venom seems to hang up alot(on the center skid plate) compared to my honcho and mini losi crawler. Due to the venom body being longer and dosen't sit as high. What Shock springs should I run on the stock shocks to lift it and gain more clearance, Thanks
mwscooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Personally I put on a Paradox skid and left the over all height the same. You should check out the threads by rmdesignworks he has addressed most issues we have with our creepers
gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwscooters View Post
My stock Venom seems to hang up alot(on the center skid plate) compared to my honcho and mini losi crawler. Due to the venom body being longer and dosen't sit as high. What Shock springs should I run on the stock shocks to lift it and gain more clearance, Thanks
Hey Bro..first up...youll get a better response and fuller more informative answers if you start a build thread and post pics of your rig so we can see it and what the problems are instead of all the little threads that waste away into the forum...

second...are you still running the internal springs too? are you using the stock shock oil in the kit? The Creeper has an inherent problem with hang up on the skid and it wont matter how high you jack it into the air it will still hang up...thats why I make the Flex Skid. I run one of the tallest Creeper's youll ever see with a Flex Skid because without the FS it hangs up.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Hey Bro..first up...youll get a better response and fuller more informative answers if you start a build thread and post pics of your rig so we can see it and what the problems are instead of all the little threads that waste away into the forum...

second...are you still running the internal springs too? are you using the stock shock oil in the kit? The Creeper has an inherent problem with hang up on the skid and it wont matter how high you jack it into the air it will still hang up...thats why I make the Flex Skid. I run one of the tallest Creeper's youll ever see with a Flex Skid because without the FS it hangs up.
Got it! Yes I am running internal springs, and stock oil. Do you have a pic of the Flex skid or a pic of your crawler with it on, Thanks for your help.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

......on the Creeper wagon
Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Yashua

++++++ ON RMD'S SKID, NO HANGUPS!
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

thats funny cuz in his video on youtube he gets hung up like 10 times. with all do respect rmdw i would rather learn how to position my rigs rear tires and actually walk up the rock rather then flooring it and wiggling my tires. that flex skid is only and crutch and in my world should not be legal.
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidkool View Post
thats funny cuz in his video on youtube he gets hung up like 10 times. with all do respect rmdw i would rather learn how to position my rigs rear tires and actually walk up the rock rather then flooring it and wiggling my tires. that flex skid is only and crutch and in my world should not be legal.
With all do respect in return...the flex skid is not a crutch but rather a tool. Along the same lines as using a diff skid or tapered/angled trans skid. Since this should be illegal,,should Volkswagons and Hummer 1's be banned from racing since they have an integral skid plated bottom/pan? Dig is a crutch...using it to make the rig change direction or get traction where the limits of the rig normally would not allow for it. The flex skid does several things in one package..protect the front drive shaft and links, prevent hang up at the leading edge of the trans skid and prevent premature wear of the trans housing as seen recently in another thread.

The nice thing is...you can choose not to use one. Yours is the first negitive opinion Ive heard.

How many times have you comp'ed or been to a comp in rc? How much 1:1 wheeling have you done?

I ask because if you are experienced in either you know that wheel speed and wiggling the tires are things you do to make your rig go where you want it. They are control techniques.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 02-04-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Starting to get a little off topic, My main question was what brand or size shock springs people were running on there rigs. Using the original shocks to get more clearance. To each there own as to what is legal and not or if something works or doesn't, Isn't it all about having fun? Man, I don't see anything good coming from negative comments. Hopefully You run what your happy with not what you think is cool because someone else likes it.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:

ok how heigh is it if i missed it in your thread slap me
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Starting to get a little off topic, My main question was what brand or size shock springs people were running on there rigs. Using the original shocks to get more clearance. To each there own as to what is legal and not or if something works or doesn't, Isn't it all about having fun? Man, I don't see anything good coming from negative comments. Hopefully You run what your happy with not what you think is cool because someone else likes it.
According to what people have said in thier threads that Ive read...they run stock springs on the stock shocks,,it all depends on the preload you put on the spring. People running Losi's like mine are running the Losi springs...and so on. I just looked at your limited view pics again and it looks like you have the shocks in the stock location,,,that automatically lowers the ride height plus you need to remove the internal springs to gain height. Furthermore this thread seems to be about shocks,springs,hang ups and the trans skid since those are the key words in your OP. So with that its still all on topic. I hope you understand what I mean.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
ok how heigh is it if i missed it in your thread slap me
3 1/4" full sprung,,,2 7/8" normal ride height
Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

a skid plate is factory equipment as is a dig unit. your flexi-pad is a crutch because its a tool(a device used to achieve something or help aid in a process) a crutch aids in walking, therefore a crutch falls in that category.

zero - 1:1 wheeling
fifteen(or so) - local comps

THINKFORYOURSELF
LIQUIDKOOL
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
According to what people have said in thier threads that Ive read...they run stock springs on the stock shocks,,it all depends on the preload you put on the spring. People running Losi's like mine are running the Losi springs...and so on. I just looked at your limited view pics again and it looks like you have the shocks in the stock location,,,that automatically lowers the ride height plus you need to remove the internal springs to gain height. Furthermore this thread seems to be about shocks,springs,hang ups and the trans skid since those are the key words in your OP. So with that its still all on topic. I hope you understand what I mean.
I adjusted the springs so the collars were all the way down the shock body and that lifted it about a 1/4 inch. Clearance from the bottom of the skid plate is 2 1/4 inches. Maybe I need new shocks to attain more height, But your right I will probably order one of your skid plates to help with the hang up issue.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

before you do anything else remove the internal springs
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
before you do anything else remove the internal springs

Ok I am new at this, what exactly does that do? Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidkool View Post
a skid plate is factory equipment as is a dig unit. your flexi-pad is a crutch because its a tool(a device used to achieve something or help aid in a process) a crutch aids in walking, therefore a crutch falls in that category.

zero - 1:1 wheeling
fifteen(or so) - local comps

THINKFORYOURSELF
LIQUIDKOOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAIAelU3ILo wheel speed and launching happens as much in the 1:1 world as it does anywhere in rc. and in all the comps you have attended and ran in you have never burped the throttle or wiggled the tires to adjust the attitude of your rig. The dig is an aftermarket item you add and most Pro drivers I know say the dig is a crutch...if you want to call my Flex Skid a crutch,,fine. But you wont survive the comps I run in if you rely on your ability to align your tires for the next gate....good luck with that.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok I am new at this, what exactly does that do? Thanks
the internal springs serve a couple of purposes. To help control the rebound of the shock and to limit the compression/extension speed. It also makes the shock run at about 50/50 or 60/40 droop/sprung instead of allowing the full extension of the shock. The internal spring pushes the shock piston down which makes the rig ride lower.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
the internal springs serve a couple of purposes. To help control the rebound of the shock and to limit the compression/extension speed. It also makes the shock run at about 50/50 or 60/40 droop/sprung instead of allowing the full extension of the shock. The internal spring pushes the shock piston down which makes the rig ride lower.

Obviously you know your _hit, Is it difficult it to do this. Got this Crawler already assembled 2nd hand, so I don't know what I'm getting into as far as taking apart the shocks. Never assembled or disassembled shocks before.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Obviously you know your _hit, Is it difficult it to do this. Got this Crawler already assembled 2nd hand, so I don't know what I'm getting into as far as taking apart the shocks. Never assembled or disassembled shocks before.
hang on a minute,,let me look at your OTHER thread...<---gotta do it man sorry.