Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: project creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default project creeper

Hello i just made a order for a red creeper , after reading for a few days i found that this crawler is a good start , little background ...
Ive been in to rc cars and trucks since i was a kid , mostly drifting the old rctc3 and the rc10t3, i went to a few races but the sport was far to expencive for my pocket!!

so i got the creeper , its the best crawleri cant wait for it to show up.... so i problem idk what esc, motor , to buy ,the esc's and motors servos i have are about 8 yrs old ..
For now i have
a 1800 nickle 6 cell
a few old novak 6 cell esc
a few futba servos mabe a traxxas one also
a bran new venom 3 chn reciver and remote
and a venom creeper roller

any ideas would be cool
thanks
santa cruz crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Welcome back to the hobby! I warn you, this stuff can get addicting (and expensive) very quickly.

Cool thing about crawling is you can go low-buck and basic, or high dollar - either way you can have a good time. What you have wil get you started, though after a while you'll want to upgrade I'm sure.

Your stock motor will get you rolling, but I suggest eventually looking into a lathe mtor for your creeper. Lathe motors are lower RPM, higher torque and ideal for crawlers. The work with pretty much any ESC as well. Integy makes a bunch of low cost, fairly dependable motors that won't break the bank. Something in the 45-65t range should work well. Higher the turns, the lower the RPM's and the more torque it has.

You'll probably want to upgrade your servo as well - a basic one won't last long. Something with metal gears and loads of torque is ideal. I'm sure this is debatable, but I look for 200oz of torque or more at least to get rolling - again, more torque is better.

Read all the creeper threads and you'll get some more ideas - the above are just the basics. Ask specific questions. The sky is really the limit, and you can eventually go brushless, lipo, programmable radios.... and then there's all the aluminum goodies, different chassis, etc...
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks OCRC ! Ill start looking for a 200oz servo
rear lock outs front alum knuckles hubs , BTA steer..ect
Im going to stay w the stock chassis for now .
ill add sweet upgrades later this week !! i got some more reading to do

but on the buget $$.. i need a esc , if some one could point me in the right way w a part number for a esc from ckrc,i would like to get one just for crawling .

i only have NICD 6 cells right now ,

thanks for the info
Old 12-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Yashua

Welcome to the sickness, I would'nt recommend the alluminum knuckles and c hubs from the beginning as the stock parts are very adequte.
I would recommend pin locks for the axle pins though and the money saved would probally pay for a esc or a couple lipo's.
check out this thread;
RMDW T's & T's & set up
and there are many others on the Creeper that will explain all the pro's and con's.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

welcome to the sickness santa cruz
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

for an esc you have plenty of options for it
you got the novak rooster, tekin fxr, caslt creations sidewinder, and the holmes brxl

for a motor i would go for a tekin motor because they are very durable and last and i would go for a 45t on a 19t pinion

for a servo i would go for somthing 300oz and up with a castle bec i run a hitec 7954 and it works great its got 408oz at 7.4v for $100

and i would defiantly order some RMD parts (to start: the creeper link, pin lox, and the Lincoln lockers, and i would say the btl plate as well)
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i run this esc. it has a lipo cut off and a crawler setting
LOSI LOSB9522 MSC12L FORWARD/REVERSE ESC SCT STRIKE | eBay

check hobbypartz.com for servos, there EXI servos are cheap and they work good. and they got lipos cheap too.

i like the turnigy lipos from hobbyking.com better though
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks everyone ...
Im going to hobbie store about 50 miles ,get the lipo ,charger, and possibly a esc.
Ill bring my old motors w me to see if there worth turning !

Im looking for those brass pin locks w a part number,,, can i tig weld these pins in ?..

Again thanks for the info ...
Old 12-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa cruz crawler View Post
Thanks everyone ...
Im going to hobbie store about 50 miles ,get the lipo ,charger, and possibly a esc.
Ill bring my old motors w me to see if there worth turning !

Im looking for those brass pin locks w a part number,,, can i tig weld these pins in ?..

Again thanks for the info ...
the brass pin locks are a part that can only be ordered of this website throught RMdesignWorks. leader of team paradox and owner of Rocky Mountain Design Works. if u would like to tig weld them in u can. u would have to be real easy not to make them to worm and melting everything together but yes i sapose so.

RMDW T's & T's & set up

this is the full line of parts that he offers to the guys that run a creeper
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I would NOT weld the pins in!! At some point, you will want to replace them or do other work, with the pins welded, you will be SOL.

Get the RMD pin locks, they are just a tight fitting thin walled brass to retain the pins. Very worth the small cost.

Your old ESC's likely don't have a great brake, they may/may not have a reverse. Getting a more crawler specific ESC is preferred.

If you get a Castle Creations (or Holmes Hobbies) or Tekin ESC, get the programming cable as well.
One reason I like the CC ESC's is that the Castle Link programming cable also adjusts Castle Creations external BEC's!

Oh, read, several times, the RMD T&T's thread. You WILL save money by doing it right the 1st time.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

OK, after readin for like 24 hrs ...
i want some paradox parts !! i need rmd pin locks ,little brass ones

the vx btx sevo mount & high steer arm , & high steer post for sevo control !

the spacer for the batt tray delete !!

I also want some of tha pipe that you guy make links w 3 ft
also is the link pipe threaded?

and a picture of the spider gears jb welded !! i just want to see where to put it !! i understand about not getting jb on the shafts

I want to say awsome work to the paradox team !! you guys are why i got this crawler , creeper bubba , rm , ect .. i read all your threads!!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
RCC Addict

just get in the places were it will lock the gears and lock them well
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Trying to upload pics
Photo buckets lame
Old 12-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Glad to see more faces on this forum. Sounds like you know where you want to go and you have a good handle on what you need to get it done. . . Idk if you have seen my thread or not but I run a tekin fxr with a hh 32t torqumaster on 19t pinion (equivalent to a conventional 45t motor) i like the tekin esc because of its amazingly small size and on-board programming capabilities makes it very versatile and you can find them for around 150 for a esc/motor combo. Im also running a ccbec programmed to 7.4v feeding a Hitec 7954sh turning 403oz. Of torque. For chassis Im running all paradox. Xr chassis btl plate and axle trusses. Xvd drive axles and traxxas long truck shafts with steel yokes. Hr c-hubs, lockouts and knuckles. Paradox pin lox and paradox duel disc foams in side hb rovers wrapped around a set of motoworx aluminum 2.2 wheels. And I absolutely love the way this rig works.

Best or luck and I can't wait to see your take on our beloved creeper

Chappy
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the kind words!!

I don't know what I'm doing .., but I got a long cold winter,,

I don't any thing about lipo batt , lipo brushless motors
Programable esc , it's been about 8yr since I have been up to date w the electronic side of the hobbie,

I have a 1979 Toyota 4x4 w a allpro 5" lift , marlin crawler highsteer 4.10 gears. And a duel 22.8 cases. "two transfercases mated together"!!
I built a few of these back in California , Somthin me and my friends do . Were all Toyota freaks!

Any way I think I got an idea of what to do , I'm off to get jb weld , red locktite and Mabe some venom green candy paint at the local auto store

Pics are not loading as of now , sorry I'll keep tryin.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

If you want send em to me and I can post em for you
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Welcome SCC....because you are new to the hobby id suggest a Tekin FX/R or Novak Rooster Crawler for the ESC and a 55 turn motor with a 19 tooth pinion...the 55t/19 tooth combo will give good torque and wheel speed that you can easily control and learn from. Lipos are definitely in your future if you want to enjoy this side of the rc hobby...lipos are so much smaller than nicads/nimhs and have much higher output...they do have some querks that you need to learn and obey for perfromance and safety but dont be scared of them. If you stick with Nicads/Nimhs for now then you should reconfigure them into saddle packs and mount them to the front axle on either side of the steering servo.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Rm... That's pretty much what I needed to know!! Thanks !
I feel like a total newb askin this but , will a nimh esc work with a lipo batt?...
I'm under the impression that as long as I get a lipo charger it will all work w my team novak 610-rv 6 to 10 cell reverse model,, hi frequency magafet esc
Made in USA !!! Thanks paradox team !! I'm also would like to e mail rm paradox member about some vulture pieces !!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa cruz crawler View Post
Rm... That's pretty much what I needed to know!! Thanks !
I feel like a total newbie askin this but , will a nimh esc work with a lipo batt?...
I'm under the impression that as long as I get a lipo charger it will all work w my team novak 610-rv 6 to 10 cell reverse model,, hi frequency magafet esc
Made in USA !!! Thanks paradox team !! I'm also would like to e mail rm paradox member about some vulture pieces !!

yes a nimh esc will work with a lipo battery as i am running a setup like that on my spec touring car. but there is a very big possibly that the battery could be damaged if u run it too low. if u do end up doing that, u will want to get a smart stop or cutoff module to wire into the esc and power plug to stop the risk of damaging the battery esc and for your sack the whole vehicle.

i'm running a novak 2s lipo smart stop on my spec touring car with a keyence rapida pro esc. this esc is not rated for use with a lipo battery. sense I'm only running a 2s lipo its like i'm only running a 6-7 cell nimh battery. but u can still hurt the battery if u discharge it to far. that's where the smart stop comes in. it will cut off voltage or power to drive the vehicle when the battery gets low and requires a charge. i'm also running a 3s novak smart stop on my novak rooster crawler esc as that esc is not rated for a 3s lipo only a 2s lipo. based of the cell count of the lipo u are going to use will determine whether u get a 2s or 3s lipo smart stop/ cut off module.

a good lipo charger is a must if u don't want to keep buying new lipos all the time. u always want to get a charger that is rated to be able to handle a lipo battery up to the highest cell lipo battery u are going to use. and for a beginner with lipos it would also be easier to get a lipo charger that had a built in balancer as this will monitor the voltage level of every cell and charge each cell individually to keep the battery at tip top shape. i would recammend this
Imax B6-Pro 50W 6S LiPO Charger - Chargers - Power

i run this charger and it works great. it has a built in balancer so u don't have to worry about an external balancer. it can also be run off a ac power supply or a dc power supply when out in the field crawling

hope this all helps u when picking the right lipo batt, charger, and esc

Last edited by venomcrawlerdud; 12-04-2011 at 02:19 PM.
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

venomcrawlerdud ... cool so ill get this charger in the next month as well as a lipo batt!! no funds at this time.,,
ill look for the lipo cutt off unit,, a link would be cooll!! ....newbe!!

parodox team ...chappy40 thanks for helping w the pictures . and all the quik tips ... ill send some asap

also my buddy has a paint shop ect mostly choppers and baggers...
he said he would air brush my creeper body w some candy paint .... ill go over there in the mornin w some beer !! see what happens

sleep time ,,, my venom v3 controler should be at my po box in the morin!!