Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: 73' Bronco-MOA to Creeper conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 73' Bronco-MOA to Creeper conversion

last week I sold a pick-up, part of the deal was for a newly build, never run creeper with a crawler master-L motor. so over the weekend my rs10xt based scaler got converted to a true shafty. getting ready to order a ESC for the CM-L. i did mod the adapter plate to accept a 380 can off the redcat, but it's just not enough motor, was able to run it enough to know that this was the right move. I will post some pics of the conversion tonight, for now, here is my MOA build thread.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...xt-bronco.html
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 73' Bronco-MOA to Creeper conversion

ordered a brushlesshobbies 120A ESC, a set of 2s2p 6000mah hardcase lipos and another ECO6 charger (just gave mine to my dad, i love this charger, cheep and does a nice job). this thing will rox my sox.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Wheres those pics??? I followed your thread in the 2.2 scale I think it was or maybe it was in the RS10. Either way your rig was sexy

Last edited by mgputer; 06-18-2012 at 03:49 PM.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I was fighting with a couple of computers and a android phone all evening. Might be the same tomorrow night too.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Work in IT I take it? I do too....even when I am not at work I end up knee deep in routers and pc's at night.........
Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I tried installing win 8 on both of my media computers at home, the 64 bit unit down stairs works great, drivers loaded right away. our internet is screwed (Cox) so i have been tethering to my phone. turned on the hot spot and watched about half of this weeks true blood and the 3G dropped. now when i turn on the hotspot, i loose 3G, when i turn it off, it comes back. so i tired to install PDAnet, PC app will not install on win8 64 bit. moved up stairs to the 32 bit, it loaded fine except no audio!?!? installed PDAnet, works great there. installed connectify to back feed the signal to my tablet so i watch BSG. connectify no longer allows you to share from anything but the Ethernet in the free version..........WTF good is that!?!??! so, I ended up giving in and watch BSG on my phone, PITA.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I tried Win8 for a bit but switched back until it gets a few updates and other apps start getting the proper drivers. To much of a pita to be worthwhile atm. Have you tried the compatibility mode to see if that pdanet will work that way? That helps alot with some apps.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
RCC Addict

yeah I did, it just would not install the phone driver on 64 bit. our interent should be fixed today, though now I think I need to redo the routers. I like the interface for a media center. 46 inch flat tv with metro works nice, would be even better if i can get my xbox controller to move the coursor. though after this fall i doubt i even need a computer seeing as Xbox is adding IE.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Back on topic here, has anyone done a remote motor mod. not even sure of the right term. but i have my trasnfer case mounted centrally and I am thinking about trying to mount the motor up under the hood. wasn;t sure if there was an adapter made for this.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
RCC Addict

So there it is.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

For a crawler motor that thing is really big. Rig is looking good. Very unique way of mounting the trans I like it! Can't wait for more updates!

As for the moving of the trans you can yes. RC4WD has a transfer case you can use in the center then you put the trans and motor under the hood with a driveshaft running from the trans to the transfercase. If I remember right the transfer case runs around $70-100 depending on which one you get. You will need new longer shafts though as the tansfercase is really small but that really isnt an issue as the shafts should be replaced anyway. Alot of guys run those because they are required for class 1 comps. The one I would use is the killer. Fits in sideways for more room. http://store.rc4wd.com/Killer-Transfer-Case_p_858.html

Last edited by mgputer; 06-21-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
RCC Addict

well I was looking more at keeping the transmission where it is and then remote locating the motor. not a big deal, more looks than anything. the motor came with the creeper, so I am going to run it. it;s like a 27t and as long as it is, i think it will have a ton of power, just hope it is not too much and starts tearing up the transmission. this build went from a laid back weekend family fun to super serious over night. I am really interested to see what she does. stopping to get a smaller enclosure tonight, hope to start re wiring it and maybe have it running by Sunday if time allows, been busy ever night for the last 3 weeks, so we will see.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looks real good wolf, very unique scale build. Can't wait to see how you go with motor re location...
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Looks real good wolf, very unique scale build. Can't wait to see how you go with motor re location...

i may leave it, if there is not already an adapter plate out there, i don;t want to screw with trying to fab one. i got a set of 2s2p 6000 mah lipos coming, i think one of those will sit nicely length wise under the hood.

this build is super close to being done with the fab phase. already planning the next one based on my rs10 axles, this will be a much better use of them.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...air-tuber.html
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
i may leave it, if there is not already an adapter plate out there, i don;t want to screw with trying to fab one. i got a set of 2s2p 6000 mah lipos coming, i think one of those will sit nicely length wise under the hood.

this build is super close to being done with the fab phase. already planning the next one based on my rs10 axles, this will be a much better use of them.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...air-tuber.html

Its one less drive shaft to break also. Thats why I kinda decided against it as well in my upcoming build of a 34 ford truggy. Should have it started next week sometime.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
RCC Addict

New pics taken, but my page keeps crashing before i get them posted, so check out my photobucket. http://photobucket.com/moascaler

Still need to run the batery leads and firgure outthe power switch, may just leave it on and un plug the battery. also waiting on my programer, it didntget putin the box at brushles, no biggy, $@#% happens. So far though, i like it.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #17
RCC Addict

let a buddy tool around with the Bronco last night, he got all excited about it being able to push it;s way through the alfalfa and well, now the diffs click. the slides don't look like they have moved, but i am hoping that is the issue. going to bust them open tonight and well most likely do the JB putty mod.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
RCC Addict

..................is it normal for teeth to shear off the pinions before one pack is ran through???
Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
..................is it normal for teeth to shear off the pinions before one pack is ran through???

Umm no. Out of all the threads in here I don't remember seeing anyone even break a pinion. If you have your receipt email venom. They are really good about replacing parts. Also it doesnt matter where you got it even ebay. If they were new when you got them they will replace it. I broke an axle first time out with mine and I bought the axles off ebay. Within 3 days I had a new set of axles in the mail. They told me there was a bad run of axles that were breaking easy so thats why they sent me a set of 4. Maybe there was a bad set of gears as well?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #20
RCC Addict

well i got the truck in a trade, so it was assembled by someone else but never run till I got it. i haven't opened the rear housing yet, but it is popping the same way the front was. I decided i wasn't going to wait on trying to get replacements from venom, found a place on ebay that has the ring and pinion for 10 bucks a set and ordered 4 with expedited shipping. I have a crawl i am hosting on the 7th, would suck if i couldn't run at my own event LOL. it does seem very odd, the ring has no damage at all, but the pinion was missing about half of it's teeth. the little bit of Assembly grease that was in there grabbed the pieces and was holding them against the housing. I am thinking bad heat treat on the pinions, they just seem too brittle. though i think this is cast part, so it could just be a bad casting too.

73' Bronco-MOA to Creeper conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
73' Brocno -MOA to shafty conversion Docwolf 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 05-30-2012 12:08 PM
Creeper Crawler conversion Safari Creeper Grumpster1980 Venom Creeper 25 02-24-2011 07:57 AM
My 73' Bronco geekfreek95 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 10-01-2010 09:01 PM
My little 73' Bronco micro drtrydr2000 Micro Scale Rigs 11 09-23-2010 03:51 AM
creeper x trail conversion twilight Venom Creeper 4 10-27-2009 07:11 PM