Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Videos!

Notices

Thread: New Pro Course Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Pro Course Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
The only question I have is how does it fit in to the USRCCA rules since they specifically state that each gate that isn't a bonus is worth 2 points? Seems like the design conflicts with how the rules are currently written.

Cool to see a new idea and even better to move away from the crazy bonus courses!!
That was my first thought the other day when I thought about the 4 points after I posted I liked the 4 point idea. bonus gate points aren't specified (i dont think) but progress points are -2 like you said.

That being said I do like the thought process to come up with something new.

We tried one course at an ARCC comp with 10 gates. See who could get the most progresses/laps in a 3 minutes

Last edited by Szczerba; 08-28-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
A bunch of really hard gates plus a bunch of new people in the sport/hobby and you get a lot of un finished courses and discouraged new people. This gives drivers choices to make, adds a little strategy, and allows more people to finish courses with a bigger variety of scores.

I agree you want to keep the new people happy so they'll come back, but why not just make gate A the novice gate and make B gate the pro course then.

cheers
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
I agree you want to keep the new people happy so they'll come back, but why not just make gate A the novice gate and make B gate the pro course then.

cheers
Gives the more experienced drivers more to think about.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
The only question I have is how does it fit in to the USRCCA rules since they specifically state that each gate that isn't a bonus is worth 2 points? Seems like the design conflicts with how the rules are currently written.

Cool to see a new idea and even better to move away from the crazy bonus courses!!
Im not 100% sure but there are written rules which mention alternate gates. I this could fall under that category. Make sure drivers understand its 3a or 3b for progression points not both.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Im not 100% sure but there are written rules which mention alternate gates. I this could fall under that category. Make sure drivers understand its 3a or 3b for progression points not both.
I had looked at that...but like you...I'm not 100% sure what the difference is between BONUS and ALTERNATE. The wording doesn't seem to make it very clear. I'll post it over in the Rules section for clarification rather than hashing it out here.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rules...-rules-29.html
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Hoof Hearted?

4.10 - Alternate (Optional): Alternate gates are secondary gates placed anywhere on the course by course designers for bonus credit.
Check Progress is -4.

▪ 4.10.1 - All penalties apply during the alternate attempt to the regular score even if the alternate is not completed or aborted.
Check All gates are live, and all penalties count.

▪ 4.10.2 - Course must be completed in order for alternate to be awarded.
Check If course is not completed, all progress is counted as -2 for A or B gates.

▪ 4.10.3 - Alternate may consist of more than one gate.
Check Each gate has an A and B option.

▪ 4.10.4 - Alternate Gates are ran in the intended sequence set by the course designer.
Check 1 A or B, 2 A or B, etc...

Since the "B" gates are an alternate line, with the wording like it is, it looks like we're ok. But like you said Ryan, some clarification would be nice.

Last edited by Grandmasboy; 08-29-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Very cool looks like real fun format :thumbup:
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmasboy View Post
▪ 4.10.2 - Course must be completed in order for alternate to be awarded.
Check If course is not completed, all progress is counted as -2 for A or B gates.
I think this is where at least one problem lies. The rule says the course MUST be completed in order to be awarded for progress on the alternate gates...therefore if you only ran the alternate gates and didn't finish the course you would have a score of 40.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I really like this format. The PARC club had a fun run gtg about a month and a half ago where we had a very similar setup. We also used 3 gate markers to make 2 totally different gates. We thought this up to save time on building courses. What we did originally was put center gate was orange and both outside gates were green. Left side was 2.2p gate and right side was 2.2s gate. This worked awesome for condensing courses down where space was limited. Also if we were running 2.2p, then all the 2.2s gates were not live, the center was live, just not the far right gate and vice versa when running 2.2s. After 2-3 courses set like this, I thought, why not have all gates live and do the exact thing you guys did with -2 on one side -4 on the other. The only variant we had different was which ever side you picked at gate 1, was the side you had to run the entire course, you couldnt switch back and forth. I think this is a great idea, but who knows if it will ever make itself into a National level comp.
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #30
Hoof Hearted?

Quote:
I think this is where at least one problem lies. The rule says the course MUST be completed in order to be awarded for progress on the alternate gates...therefore if you only ran the alternate gates and didn't finish the course you would have a score of 40.

Good point.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Time to change the rules! Comp crawling needs a shot of adrenaline in the butt cheek
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
Hoof Hearted?

Quote:
Time to change the rules! Comp crawling needs a shot of adrenaline in the butt cheek

Where's my torch and pitchfork? I want to be ready so I can get a good spot in the mob.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #33
Y-Town Crawlers

Do you have the option of running both the "A" and "B" gates or do you just choose 1 per # as you drive through the course? Either way, it looks like a better option than some of the bonus formats we have now.
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #34
Hoof Hearted?

A or B for each gate, not both.

Last edited by Grandmasboy; 09-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Lightbulb Re: New Pro Course Design

Quote:
We had our ETRC Fun Comp this weekend and tried out a new course format. Greencrawler spawned the idea and after a couple of tweaks, it worked out great. A couple of people wanted to see video of the idea so we shot one.

It works great for spreading out scores over the entire field without having just one or two people jump way out ahead like bonuses sometimes cause.
I think this is a superior format!

A competition course is essentially a test of skill. The point of a test is to measure a quality (driving skill) as accurately and reliably as possible. Generally, if some participants aren't regularly able to complete the test, it is too hard and can't measure their driving skill. (this is called a floor effect). Conversely, if some participants are regularly acing or tying, the test is too easy and can't measure their driving skill (this is a called a ceiling effect). Ideally, participants would complete the test with a consistent average score, x, such that 0
Now you just need to calculate the standard deviation of each participant's average score.

I apologize for the long-winded post.

Last edited by Crawl Space; 09-03-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote

New Pro Course Design - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new chassis design - bodyless tvp design. monkeyracer Axial AX-10 Scorpion 100 06-17-2009 07:53 AM
My Design area51caraudio Axial AX-10 Scorpion 25 07-09-2008 08:50 PM
Anyone Here Ever Used Punch-Pro (home design)? Robb Chit Chat 4 04-28-2007 08:24 PM