Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Virginia

Notices

Thread: Re-Post of a few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Re-Post of a few questions

I suppose I could have search featured this, or looked it up on the noob board but I figured I would ask on here since most of everyone who posts on this board is from the same area. So my question is about using foams in tires. How different are rc tires compared to tires on a real truck? Beadlock rims keep the tires secured to the rim, but why should I pop holes in the tires? Would they not grip better being semi inflated as they are when I tightened the locks on the rims? If I do pop holes in them, how big of a hole, will it tear later as the tire gets wear, and should I use tire foams or no tire foams? Is there a special kind of tire foam good for rock crawling? Right now I have proline 8shot beadlocks with proline moabs. It already grips 100% more then the stock tires but the guy I talked to (forgot his name) at the hobby town in va beach said my tires needed to be popped. Havnt really done much driving as I am currently in a location where I cannot, but I have lowered the COG drasticlly from what it was, and worked on my body. I still dont have the steering linkage done, and my hitec servo is still not installed. Any assistance, tips, tricks, or general knowledge will be appreciated. Thanks in advance - Phil
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #2

i think you would be better off drilling a hole in the back side of the rims..this way if you ever wanted not to have the holes you could install a screw in the hole and the rims would be sealed again. as far as foams go it depends on the tires you are running. some super soft tires like the panther cougars work well with just a soft foam. tires like the losi claws that are a little stiffer work well with memory foams. the reason people drill holes in the tire or rim is to allow the tire to grip better on the rocks..sometimes if there is to much pressure in the tire it can be a little bouncey also. i have found best to just run what works best for you..i crawl with people who do not drill holes and i crawl with people that say the hole is a requirement for good crawling..i myself run holes in all the rims on my crawlers......best way to put it is trial and error..hope this helps
ON THE ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
varcor.org

phil, come up to hobbytown on Sunday. i'll bring one of my crawlers with me and can show you some differences. i'll be there all day.

the idea comes from 1:1 crawling. when you get out to the trail head, you air down your tires from the street pressure. the holes, either in your tires or rims, will let air out and help the tire conform around the rocks or obstacles and let you gain traction. if the tires being air tight, the tire is not forming around the obstacle and losing traction. in crawling, it's about contact patch. you want the most contact patch possible and maintain that patch. each person setups their tires/wheels differently (# of holes in rims vs tires, weight, foam setup, etc).

example, with my panthers, i ran a hybrid foam where the centers where memory foams and the outsides with standard foams. this helps with the contact patch but also helped in side hilling where panthers have a tendency to roll or folder over on the sidewalls. with my rovers, i ran NWT all-weathers which are non-memory foams so the outside temperature did not affect their reaction time.

as for holes in the rims or wheels, that's a personal preference. i've done both and have had no issues.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Unfortunately I will not be in va beach/norfolk area for anoter month. When I get in town ill be sure to stop by. I also have some questions to ask about gearing and such.

Last edited by SpikeX; 05-02-2009 at 09:13 AM.
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote